• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Apr 12, 2012
Is there any use/benefit of building arrow slits/portcullis and other things down that line?

It doesnt seem like they do anything or kill invading forces. I mean if I have archer towers, surely they should be able to take down a few guys? right?

What does fort level do in general? Seems useless to me.

Fort Level definitely affects siege time as well as difficulty in assaulting the fort. For instance, try assaulting a castle with a higher level fort and then a city with a similar sized levy (but lower fort level). You'll definitely notice a difference.

It effects how hard it is to assault, not sure what the mechanics are though.

I've noticed the AI goes into this in a big way, to the detriment of other more economic buildings sometime. Definitely makes it tricky sometimes. I've tried to use it strategically when playing as Brittany by building all the fort level upgrades in the provinces at the landward end of the peninsula, however so far I've only fought in aggressive wars or those of allies so haven't seen if it's worth it.

These things are just fantastic if you're playing a small minor next to trouble. Cheap and fast make them ideal to place in buffer countries next to hostile nations. Play defensively, they will help you come out on top more than they won't. They are imperative playing as a nation without access to holy orders or mercs, imo. A highly fortified country will take thousands just to siege, and cost them hundreds in the process.

Fort Level definitely affects siege time as well as difficulty in assaulting the fort. For instance, try assaulting a castle with a higher level fort and then a city with a similar sized levy (but lower fort level). You'll definitely notice a difference.

actually cities are sometimes harder to take. i lost 500 to a castle and 2k to city with smaller garrison and smaller fortlvl... its broken

I generally don't bother with them, but as a small nation its true, they would make sieges longer and give mor attrition. Atrition while sieging a province is what can really kill an invading army. Plus, it forces them to sit still while you gather your strength to counter attack.

It effects how hard it is to assault, not sure what the mechanics are though.

I've noticed the AI goes into this in a big way, to the detriment of other more economic buildings sometime. Definitely makes it tricky sometimes. I've tried to use it strategically when playing as Brittany by building all the fort level upgrades in the provinces at the landward end of the peninsula, however so far I've only fought in aggressive wars or those of allies so haven't seen if it's worth it.

The problem with using them strategically is your enemy can just bypass them with no consequences.

The problem with using them strategically is your enemy can just bypass them with no consequences.
still, counties like your capital county's holdings have a big effect on warscore, so making your home county as impregnable as possible is desirable

that said, increasing fort level in theory should increase the ratio needed for an "easy assault". I've once lost a whole army of several thousand (around 9~11) assaulting a castle with a thousand because of fort level