• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Closet Skeleton

Field Marshal
52 Badges
Aug 8, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • King Arthur II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
It seems to cost 75 gold a month upkeep for a hired navy. This makes them utterly useless for a landlocked count to use them to get to an island or the holy land. If these can really only be used by the richest of the rich I don't see much point in them.

I never use them. Certainly not to pay that kind of cash for a navy. Heck, I have a K with a demense of 9 provinces and all they bring in is 25 gold a month.

Is there a cost to having ships floating on the sea? Also, is there attrition while on ship? I haven't seen any attrition, so I'm asking.

They aren't meant to be held forever. If you're a landlocked duke in the HRE and want to go to the holy land, hire one and dismiss it once you get there. You should only pay 1-2 months. But yes, they are extremely expensive and most likely shouldn't be like that.

Is there a cost to having ships floating on the sea? Also, is there attrition while on ship? I haven't seen any attrition, so I'm asking.

Your own ships, yes and the cost is substantial. If your using vassal ships, the cost is still substantial, just your vassals pay the bill.

As of 1.04 (I've been careful to advised this limit since then) attrition occurs for land units on ship with a troop strength exceeding approximately 7000 men.

They aren't meant to be held forever. If you're a landlocked duke in the HRE and want to go to the holy land, hire one and dismiss it once you get there. You should only pay 1-2 months. But yes, they are extremely expensive and most likely shouldn't be like that.

1-2 months is still 150 gold on top of the 90 you have to pay upfront. Especially annoying when maybe you didn't want that many boats anyway.

To be honest it probably should be that expensive. It should just be that expensive for levied ships as well. But its just not fun to have this disparity.

It seems to cost 75 gold a month upkeep for a hired navy. This makes them utterly useless for a landlocked count to use them to get to an island or the holy land. If these can really only be used by the richest of the rich I don't see much point in them.

They should be expensive. It's easy enough already to amass wealth in the game. The navies are meant for the use of Kings or large Dukes with large war chests. Remember the reason why the 4th Crusade took the christian port city of Zara was to help pay for their expenses hiring the Venetian navy, as all the lords combined found out at the meeting point that they had unsufficient funds to pay those greedy Venetians for transport to the Holy Land (and that's more or less when the crusade went a little bit off track, but taking land from schismatics also counted as good for catholics, so it was the thought that counted, right?)

To use it as a poor count, try attaching your army to that of a big lord that's going on the same Crusade and has hired the navy. If the cargo capacity holds, maybe you can board the Navy with him.

It'd be nice if it was divided up by size like merc companies are. So if I only had to move 3000 men while landlocked, I'd be able to do it with just a few ships and not go bankrupt.

they give you 100 ships which is enough for a crapton of guys. It shouldn't be intended for some crappy count to hire the venetian navy.
I can definitively see the logic in this. On the other hand it would be nice to get the navies in 10, 25 and 50 varieties.

I can definitively see the logic in this. On the other hand it would be nice to get the navies in 10, 25 and 50 varieties.
If it said something like "Venetian Fleet, 1st wing - 10 ships; 2nd wing -10 ships" instead of just "Venetian Fleet - 100 ships". That's probably modable anyway. The thing is the need for flags.

If it said something like "Venetian Fleet, 1st wing - 10 ships; 2nd wing -10 ships" instead of just "Venetian Fleet - 100 ships". That's probably modable anyway. The thing is the need for flags.

copy paste the flags from existing one. Paradox took the k_venice flag for the venetian fleet.

copy paste the flags from existing one. Paradox took the k_venice flag for the venetian fleet.
well to be fair I was thinking in terms of unique regimental standards :))

well to be fair I was thinking in terms of unique regimental standards :))

ok. I proposed it as the easy/fast/testing way to achieve it.
Flags in themselves aren't really difficult to do. You mau find some help/drawers in modding section :p

khedas said:
To use it as a poor count, try attaching your army to that of a big lord that's going on the same Crusade and has hired the navy. If the cargo capacity holds, maybe you can board the Navy with him.
Is that even possible? When I used ships the allied (and linked) army was unable to follow onboard.