+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hired navies - Too expensive?

Hired navies - Too expensive?

It seems to cost 75 gold a month upkeep for a hired navy. This makes them utterly useless for a landlocked count to use them to get to an island or the holy land. If these can really only be used by the richest of the rich I don't see much point in them.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I never use them. Certainly not to pay that kind of cash for a navy. Heck, I have a K with a demense of 9 provinces and all they bring in is 25 gold a month.
    If you want my help, register your game..
    Senatus Populusque Romanus!

I think they are made this way to keep player from using them as scout units. Ships are invincible and can keep track on the quite a bit coastal area.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition

Is there a cost to having ships floating on the sea? Also, is there attrition while on ship? I haven't seen any attrition, so I'm asking.

They aren't meant to be held forever. If you're a landlocked duke in the HRE and want to go to the holy land, hire one and dismiss it once you get there. You should only pay 1-2 months. But yes, they are extremely expensive and most likely shouldn't be like that.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I think they removed attrition. And yes they cost a bit per month to keep afloat- had a scout or two floating and I think it cost a few florins a month.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofWinter View Post
    Is there a cost to having ships floating on the sea? Also, is there attrition while on ship? I haven't seen any attrition, so I'm asking.
    Your own ships, yes and the cost is substantial. If your using vassal ships, the cost is still substantial, just your vassals pay the bill.

As of 1.04 (I've been careful to advised this limit since then) attrition occurs for land units on ship with a troop strength exceeding approximately 7000 men.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonOfArgos View Post
    They aren't meant to be held forever. If you're a landlocked duke in the HRE and want to go to the holy land, hire one and dismiss it once you get there. You should only pay 1-2 months. But yes, they are extremely expensive and most likely shouldn't be like that.
    1-2 months is still 150 gold on top of the 90 you have to pay upfront. Especially annoying when maybe you didn't want that many boats anyway.

To be honest it probably should be that expensive. It should just be that expensive for levied ships as well. But its just not fun to have this disparity.

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIMagickaMajesty 2March of the Eagles
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

they give you 100 ships which is enough for a crapton of guys. It shouldn't be intended for some crappy count to hire the venetian navy.
    -Cal
    AARagon (4/04 -- Teaser Update) Abandoned due to additional patches

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Closet Skeleton View Post
    It seems to cost 75 gold a month upkeep for a hired navy. This makes them utterly useless for a landlocked count to use them to get to an island or the holy land. If these can really only be used by the richest of the rich I don't see much point in them.
    They should be expensive. It's easy enough already to amass wealth in the game. The navies are meant for the use of Kings or large Dukes with large war chests. Remember the reason why the 4th Crusade took the christian port city of Zara was to help pay for their expenses hiring the Venetian navy, as all the lords combined found out at the meeting point that they had unsufficient funds to pay those greedy Venetians for transport to the Holy Land (and that's more or less when the crusade went a little bit off track, but taking land from schismatics also counted as good for catholics, so it was the thought that counted, right?)

To use it as a poor count, try attaching your army to that of a big lord that's going on the same Crusade and has hired the navy. If the cargo capacity holds, maybe you can board the Navy with him.

It'd be nice if it was divided up by size like merc companies are. So if I only had to move 3000 men while landlocked, I'd be able to do it with just a few ships and not go bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Calbrenar View Post
    they give you 100 ships which is enough for a crapton of guys. It shouldn't be intended for some crappy count to hire the venetian navy.
    I can definitively see the logic in this. On the other hand it would be nice to get the navies in 10, 25 and 50 varieties.

Regent-Custodian of the Light riknap's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofWinter View Post
    I can definitively see the logic in this. On the other hand it would be nice to get the navies in 10, 25 and 50 varieties.
    If it said something like "Venetian Fleet, 1st wing - 10 ships; 2nd wing -10 ships" instead of just "Venetian Fleet - 100 ships". That's probably modable anyway. The thing is the need for flags.
    LUX INVICTA! Rebuild the Empire of Megas Alexandros! Restore Roman Glory! Banish the Dark Ages!
    >>[Subsidiary Modules] [Frequent Questions] [Gameplay Guide] [Changelogs] [LUX INVICTA AETERNA]<<

Saeculum Obscurum: A Late Antiquity Mod, Fall of the Western Roman Empire and Rise of the Early Medieval Era. [beta state]
    LIBERT3 Primary Portal, for the Lux Invicta Buildings & Events, Retinues & Tactics, Traits & Technology Module. [INTEGRATED]
    Advanced Battles & Combat Depth Essentials. Planning portal for a comprehensive tactics overhaul project. [WIP - EXP farming]
    El Psy Congroo: Battle for world-line delta. A role-playing invasion modification. [WIP - EXP farming]

Bleeding for Harder Styles Arko's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHeir to the Throne
    MagickaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by riknap View Post
    If it said something like "Venetian Fleet, 1st wing - 10 ships; 2nd wing -10 ships" instead of just "Venetian Fleet - 100 ships". That's probably modable anyway. The thing is the need for flags.
    copy paste the flags from existing one. Paradox took the k_venice flag for the venetian fleet.
    membre du Réseau Gamers et Stratégie, tout sur CK2&EU4 en français

ARKOpack Armoiries & Interface a CoA and Interface mod.
    La Pléiade : Europa universalis IV (vraiment) en français !
    Member of Historical Immersion Project

Mini MODs is the answer !

Regent-Custodian of the Light riknap's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    copy paste the flags from existing one. Paradox took the k_venice flag for the venetian fleet.
    well to be fair I was thinking in terms of unique regimental standards )
    LUX INVICTA! Rebuild the Empire of Megas Alexandros! Restore Roman Glory! Banish the Dark Ages!
    >>[Subsidiary Modules] [Frequent Questions] [Gameplay Guide] [Changelogs] [LUX INVICTA AETERNA]<<

Saeculum Obscurum: A Late Antiquity Mod, Fall of the Western Roman Empire and Rise of the Early Medieval Era. [beta state]
    LIBERT3 Primary Portal, for the Lux Invicta Buildings & Events, Retinues & Tactics, Traits & Technology Module. [INTEGRATED]
    Advanced Battles & Combat Depth Essentials. Planning portal for a comprehensive tactics overhaul project. [WIP - EXP farming]
    El Psy Congroo: Battle for world-line delta. A role-playing invasion modification. [WIP - EXP farming]

Bleeding for Harder Styles Arko's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHeir to the Throne
    MagickaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by riknap View Post
    well to be fair I was thinking in terms of unique regimental standards )
    ok. I proposed it as the easy/fast/testing way to achieve it.
    Flags in themselves aren't really difficult to do. You mau find some help/drawers in modding section
    membre du Réseau Gamers et Stratégie, tout sur CK2&EU4 en français

ARKOpack Armoiries & Interface a CoA and Interface mod.
    La Pléiade : Europa universalis IV (vraiment) en français !
    Member of Historical Immersion Project

Mini MODs is the answer !

Quote Originally Posted by khedas
    To use it as a poor count, try attaching your army to that of a big lord that's going on the same Crusade and has hired the navy. If the cargo capacity holds, maybe you can board the Navy with him.
    Is that even possible? When I used ships the allied (and linked) army was unable to follow onboard.

+ Reply to Thread