• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(485423)

Corporal
2 Badges
Apr 30, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hello.

I have noticed that, recently, I have been asking a lot of questions in a lot of different threads and because I like to refer back to them every so often and because my questions are normally answered very quickly and succinctly, I thought it might be best to create a thread to pool all noob questions together here. I am willing to come back to this thread and compile all the questions asked and answered here into a megapost with links to the respective questions and answers. I am aware there is already a thread like this but I felt like it had gone too far along and the questions had room to become more and more complex. Maybe by specifying that noobs can ask questions here and placing the questions and answers in the one post, we can make a point of reference? In either case, I'll just post my question below.

Thank you very much for reading. :)

General Issues

Question concerning playing Crusader Kings II offline (Steam version).
Answer. #1. #2. #3.

Territories and claims

Question concerning claimant wars.
Answer. #1.

Offices and Hierarchy

Question concerning empire and methods of obtaining it.
Answer. #1. #2. #3. #4 (continuation of #3).

Question concerning kingdoms and how to manage them. #1. #2.
Answer. #1. #2. #3. #4. #5. #6. #7 (specific to question #2). #8 (specific to question #2).

Last edited:
My question is concerning kingdoms and how to manage them. At present, I am the King of Poland, Lithuania, Croatia, Denmark and soon to be Sweden. Is this too much for one King to have? What should/could be done about it?

having to many crowns can create issues with unhappy vassals since they want one of them, gaining a hefty minus ... often times if you get a heir with sub-par diplomacy you'll have revolting to a degree that a mongol horde would be less annoying

having to many crowns can create issues with unhappy vassals since they want one of them, gaining a hefty minus ... often times if you get a heir with sub-par diplomacy you'll have revolting to a degree that a mongol horde would be less annoying

Thank you for the prompt reply. Is there any way around this? Me, personally, I have only one son and the law at present is agnatic-cognatic. I am unable to give lands to any of my 6 (yes, really *sigh*) daughters so I can only forsee giving lands to kinsman and my brother. However, I would not like to give entire kingdoms away. Would it be better to ride it out and give the next succession of children equal share of the kingdoms or can I assimilate kingdoms into one?

Your ruling line should always be of the diplomatic group, preferably grey eminence, once you get to a specific size. Having a 20+ diplomacy makes maintaining large realms fairly easy with a central capital and bribing on the few obstinate members. It's really only the "short reign" penalty when you first start that is a risk and honorary titles + money + educating their children / giving them your crappy slow/dwarf kids makes it fairly easy to mitigate along with the diplomacy bonus.

Far more important then kingdoms is not having counties in other dukes realms or having duchies with other counts in them.

Your ruling line should always be of the diplomatic group, preferably grey eminence, once you get to a specific size. Having a 20+ diplomacy makes maintaining large realms fairly easy with a central capital and bribing on the few obstinate members. It's really only the "short reign" penalty when you first start that is a risk and honorary titles + money + educating their children / giving them your crappy slow/dwarf kids makes it fairly easy to mitigate along with the diplomacy bonus.

Far more important then kingdoms is not having counties in other dukes realms or having duchies with other counts in them.

Hey Cal. I have tried to do this in as much as possible. In fact, most of these kingdoms I currently hold have been passed down from my mother's side so the kingdom was already set up by the time I got there. At the moment, I have not run into the problem of having a lot of siblings. With only one brother, it seems like there's not much legitimate competition but because I have only one son, my demesne size is suddenly too large once I die.

I am not entirely sure what you mean by the second part. Do you mean to not have a count who is not a kinsman is ideal?

Thank you for your response.

Thank you for the prompt reply. Is there any way around this? Me, personally, I have only one son and the law at present is agnatic-cognatic. I am unable to give lands to any of my 6 (yes, really *sigh*) daughters so I can only forsee giving lands to kinsman and my brother. However, I would not like to give entire kingdoms away. Would it be better to ride it out and give the next succession of children equal share of the kingdoms or can I assimilate kingdoms into one?

Go elective and vote the best daughter your heir. You get a -10 penalty for female heir but a +20 bonus with most for elective.

I pretty much use elective exclusively now. Once you get past a certain size the benefit of having 3-4 more counties in your demesne is almost nonexistant. When you have 650g comingin from cities getting 210 from your demesne vs 150 isn't really a big difference.

I pretty much use elective exclusively now. Once you get past a certain size the benefit of having 3-4 more counties in your demesne is almost nonexistant. When you have 650g comingin from cities getting 210 from your demesne vs 150 isn't really a big difference.

This is my problem because I am at present earning something like 10 g a month. A lot more than I started off with, granted, but nothing like 650 (I hope we are talking about the same thing!). I can raise large armies (25K +) so I cannot see that there would be a problem with my vassals disliking me but perhaps I am doing something wrong in terms of my economy? This is why I am reluctant to relinquish counties because I am worried about the financial implications, if you see what I mean.

10g a month = 120g a year and I'm making about 799 g a year. The easy way to do this is promoting coastal counties to lord mayors.

Change City taxes to harsh
Change City Levees to Minimum (net -10)

Turn coastal counties into republics. promote the mayor to the county title and the city will become the main holding. everyone pays him taxes and you get 45% of it. plus they tend to be much less bloodthirsty than dukes so they are easier to control. The main disadvantage is the -30 bad government penalty but that's why you have the high diplo leader.

The huge amount of money gives you tons of mercs. In my game I funded having the holy orders on permanent staff and just keep shifting them between the various muslim nations and letting them fight the wars on permanent retainer. 240g a year for a mostly heavy cavalry army is nothing when you're winning 1-2 holy wars a year.

10g a month = 120g a year and I'm making about 799 g a year. The easy way to do this is promoting coastal counties to lord mayors.

Change City taxes to harsh
Change City Levees to Minimum (net -10)

Turn coastal counties into republics. promote the mayor to the county title and the city will become the main holding. everyone pays him taxes and you get 45% of it. plus they tend to be much less bloodthirsty than dukes so they are easier to control. The main disadvantage is the -30 bad government penalty but that's why you have the high diplo leader.

The huge amount of money gives you tons of mercs. In my game I funded having the holy orders on permanent staff and just keep shifting them between the various muslim nations and letting them fight the wars on permanent retainer. 240g a year for a mostly heavy cavalry army is nothing when you're winning 1-2 holy wars a year.

That's a good way of maintaining your empire. I might consider doing that in future. In the past, I've simply agreed to the Crusade and given a lame contribution to keep the Pope happy but your method seems to promote some real gains to be made.

Thank you. :)