• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In Vanilla there are only 7 Empires, 3 of which are playable.

Playable:
Holy Roman Empire
Byzantine Empire
Latin Empire

Not Playable:
Shiite Caliphate
Sunni Caliphate
Mongol Horde
Ilkhanate

Thank you for that. I will be doing some usurping soon then!

Am I correct in saying that the Latin Empire is not formable, only available during later start dates?

I was also wondering about this. I have not seen the Latin Empire as of yet (early 1200s), so is it an empire that forms later?

Thank you for that. I will be doing some usurping soon then!

I was also wondering about this. I have not seen the Latin Empire as of yet (early 1200s), so is it an empire that forms later?

it doesn't form in a 1066 start game, you would have to start a game after it has been founded

Nope.

Have to usurp it. There apparently are mods that let you form your own, but otherwise no.

If you use CK2+ you can make fun ones like Empire Hispania by uniting all the Iberian crowns.

Thank you :) Do these mods work well in your experience (if you have tried them)? I will try and search for the page in the meanwhile.

Whoops. Sorry, I thought I had done this as one multi-quote.

EDIT: @DCyDe Do you mean like one of those campaigns such as the 'Hundred Years War'?

1. There is a 2-duchy limit for emperors.

2. Any empire is "playable", you just can't start as most of them.

3. "Usurping" the HRE is not the only way to become the HRE. You could be elected, as the HRE is typically elective.

4. For any of the empires, you could also launch a claim war. I suppose that's kind of "usurping", but it's not merely through the "Usurp" button.

This. I managed to become the emperor of the golden horde in my most recent game, starting as the count of Oxford.

3. "Usurping" the HRE is not the only way to become the HRE. You could be elected, as the HRE is typically elective.

You can matri marry your kinsman to a claimant with an inheritable claim, kill the succession line (assassinate/plot to kill) so that your kin sits on the throne, be head of YOUR family, and kill the kinsman emperor, thereby inheriting the title. A little cheap, but definitely doable with enough money and the current plot-to-kill mechanic.

1. There is a 2-duchy limit for emperors.

4. For any of the empires, you could also launch a claim war. I suppose that's kind of "usurping", but it's not merely through the "Usurp" button.

This. I managed to become the emperor of the golden horde in my most recent game, starting as the count of Oxford.

You can matri marry your kinsman to a claimant with an inheritable claim, kill the succession line (assassinate/plot to kill) so that your kin sits on the throne, be head of YOUR family, and kill the kinsman emperor, thereby inheriting the title. A little cheap, but definitely doable with enough money and the current plot-to-kill mechanic.

I am a little confused in terms of election of the HRE. I have nominated myself on numerous occassions as well as family members. However, the elected always seems to be someone else (which is fine; perhaps I'm not good enough!) but when I click on the character of the Emperor, the 'Heir' is listed as their child. Does this mean the child inherits the Duchies only and not necessarily the Empire? Also, what is happening to the plot-to-kill mechanic, if you guys know.

No, it only exists between 1204 and 1261.
It's at its greatest extent on January 1st 1205 in the game.

Thank you for that. I was wondering when it would show up. I think I am in 1204 at the moment but no show of the Latin Empire which must mean, as blackfire83 stated, it comes around with a predetermined start date?

Thank you for that. I was wondering when it would show up. I think I am in 1204 at the moment but no show of the Latin Empire which must mean, as blackfire83 stated, it comes around with a predetermined start date?

You would have to start the game at that date actually, it never forms otherwise (AFAIK).

You would have to start the game at that date actually, it never forms otherwise (AFAIK).

Interesting. I will have to try this once I have finished my current game so thank you for the information.

Ah yes, aforementioned does not work for elective. I found the best way to get an Agnatic elective title is to go elective yourself, and make your heir be the one with the claim, and press it yourself.

Appreciated. I was intending on simply getting 50% of HRE lands and then usurping but the method you suggest seems to be much more time-effective. I will try to use this the next time I play. :)