• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Emperor Basil

Second Lieutenant
15 Badges
Feb 17, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Knights of Honor
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
Can someone explain to me how the de jure kingdoms change and what criteria is required for this to happen?

When I look on the de jure kingdoms map I've noticed that certain territories in Anatolia are on there way to becoming the Sultanate of Rum and a couple in Southern Italy are becoming the Sultanate of Africa. But others aren't. Why?

Is it possible to expand the de jure 'kingdom of Byzantium' playing as the Byzantine Empire?

If you hold a kingdom title, and all of a duchy in another kingdom, the de jure shift will start to happen.

If you hold both kingdom titles though, it won't happen.

The Kingdom of Byzantium typically cannot be formed. Its creation condition is "Never."

However, the way the new Crusades/Jihads work, a Muslim Jihad could target the Kingdom of Byzantium and a victory would, I've heard, create the Sultanate (Kingdom) of Byzantium. Apparently it works the same way with Khazaria, which also has a creation condition of "Never".

The Byzantine Emperor title has no real relationship to a theoretical "King" title of Byzantium. You could, in theory, have the two be totally separate and co-exist.

For example, the Byzantine Empire could conquer and hold Hungry for 100 years. Then Hungry would be, de jure, part of the ERE. Then the Sunni Caliph could call a Jihad against the Kingdom of Byzantium, which could be won by some random Emir, who'd become Sultan of Byzantium. At that point, the title exists and anyone could take it. You could have two geographically distinct Byzantiums.

I find this quite frustrating. Byzantium should be able to operate on a kingdom level as well.
Well, you if you have a neighboring smaller crown, you could transfer all the Byzantium dukes under that crown, or split them up between several crowns. That's what I did instead of dealing with all those greek dukes. :p

(see my Vassal map, I used the Bulgarian and Serbian crowns.)

Last edited:
De Jure Kingdom expand only on fully controlled de jure duchy. If you do not control, for example, 3/3 of some duchy, then expanding will not start. To be sure use "de jure kingdoms" map mode to see how lands are changing. Om mouse over you will see to whom it belongs and at which year */100 of conversion it is now

wrong! the de-jure drift is buggy. if u hold multiple kingtitles duchies from one kingdrom drift the another and the other vice versa.

It depends on which is your primary and which is not, and other factors. I haven't noticed any bugginess with it, just that there are a lot of technicalities.

<ninja edited to be more clear and precise>
It's not buggy. It's just that the Ducal title will drift if the Duke is a direct vassal to a non-deJure King and the duchy is not split between realms.

If the ducal title does not exist, the duchy will drift towards your primary holding, so whether you own both titles or not is immaterial. The Counts, not subject to a Duke, would be your direct vassals, making your primary holding in effect the direct liege to the duchy.

However, your primary title is immaterial if the ducal title exists. It is the Ducal primary holding that determines drift in that case, since that determines which of your titles is the Duke's direct liege.

It's really that simple. The complications arise from the many combinations possible when you pick up more kingdom titles and the many Dukes start acquiring land across your kingdoms messing up your nice and neat duchies, and moving their realm capitals to and fro messing up your assimilation plans before you have a chance to integrate everything under one crown.

last edit - Though you reduce monthly prestige when making Kingdom titles titular so I'm not entirely sure it's the most beneficial way to maximize score. It would have to be a personal preference.

Last edited: