• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Disaster?

He's fighting a losing war on three fronts where his enemies are constantly growing larger. His forces are shrinking as he cannot replace loses as his enemies can. Either he can fight a lost cause and sloooooooooowly lose ground in sure defeat or he can throw everything in the west into his probably last chance at turning the tide.

Fortune favors the bold.

He tried that and losses were unbearable. Concentrate on actually reasonable attacks and throw in most your assets there with sufficient reserves to hold back the enemy in other places. That'd be the way to go.

Again, thanks everyone for the comments. In regards to the controversy that is developing regarding a paratroop drop, I do believe as updates roll out everyone will be satisfied.

I will be updating shortly: we shall be taking a small detour from the Western Front. If you all think losses have been unbearable thus far, just wait until I get around to returning to the main story!

The Battle of Italy (13 – 27 June)

While the planning for Case Derfflinger had only envisioned an attack on the Western Front, the General Staff urged for offensive action in Italy to take advantage of the atomic strike on Rome. Due to the request being last minute, no troops were in position ready to attack on 6 June in conjunction with the main force in France. Instead, the Italian front was quiet for a week while troops moved into position. Two recently raised mountain divisions (billeted just over the German border) and three infantry divisions - of Twelfth Army - that had been held in reserve (in Italy, behind the frontline) moved towards Venice: the springboard for the upcoming attack.

Italy had suffered over two million casualties during the war. Their last campaign had saw their field army obliterated in France, prior to northern Italy being overrun resulting in a political crisis. A coup saw Benito Mussolini topple from power and a democratic Government take charge. Italy reentered the war a divided and weak nation, with Mussolini maintaining a puppet regime in the northeast of the country. The public at large were tired of war, wars the country had not been in a position to support from the beginning. This fragile state of affairs was damaged even further by the atomic strike on Rome on 5 June.

While a week had passed, it was this background Field Marshal Fedor von Bock decided to take advantage of. He believed that the threat of a strong strike towards Rome, by capturing Bologna, would push Italy over the edge: their politicians bound to surrender to the public contempt for the war and exit it. To achieve this goal, von Bock's Army Group C had 19 divisions (12 infantry, six mountain, and a Volksgrenadier division spread over two armies) compared to the estimated 17 Italian infantry divisions based on the border (captured documents would later reveal that this figure was accurate, although the Italians had a further 21 static divisions held in reserve). Von Bock had not exactly had a stellar career (he had played a minor role in the defeat of Poland, commanded the garrison force in Poland during the Battle of France, commanded the Eighth Army during Operation Barbarossa, and was then demoted to a Corps commander for the rest of the war although always in the thick of the fighting until his promotion to command the backwater front that is Army Group C) and was thus placed under a lot of pressure to bring about a rapid victory before UN forces swarmed in from France (hopefully weakening the frontline around Versailles in the process).

ca05zD1.png

The opening stages of the campaign.
Insert: Troops on the front prior to the offensive, and troops in combat in the more mountainous terrain.​

After a weak of waiting, transporting, and preparation, the offensive in Italy began. Twelve German divisions surged forward striking the Italian positions that faced Venice and Treviso. By the end of the day, the Italian position at Padova had been breached and within forty-eight hours the 33rd Volksgrenadier Division had breached the Italian second line of defense and captured Ferrara. The Italian military were obviously still suffering from the morale effects of the atomic bombing and the fragile state of the country, although in sectors - when not faced with heavy opposition - the Italians put up determined resistance. However, with Ferrara in our hands the gateway to Bologna was open for the two mountain divisions who had arrived from Germany. Before they could advance, an Italian attack was launched upon the men of the 33rd division. So far, during the war, the Volksgrenadier divisions had not exactly covered themselves in glory (one surrendered on contact with French partisans towards the end of the UN invasion period). The 33rd would change this bad streak. Singlehandedly, outnumbered 2-1, the 33rd Division threw back the Italians allowing the mountain troops to pass through Ferrara undisturbed.

ElE8aad.png

Elements of the 5.Gebirgsjagers-Division, crossing the Po River.​

The mountain troops then swept towards the Po River, capturing several bridges intact, and proceeded into the outskirts of Bologna. Italian troops arrived just in time to halt the advance and launched numerous attacks to keep our Gebirgsjagers locked up in a small bridgehead. For the first time in years, a war of maneuver could be conducted. While the Italians concentrated on the mountain troops, and they in turn kept the Italians busy, the 246th Infantry launched a flanking attack. Moving further west, they crossed the Po River - capturing Modena in the process - and then launched themselves into the flank of the Italians. Outnumbered and outflanked, the Italians withdrew. Bologna fell on the 22nd.

The capture of the city did not, as anticipated, result in the Italian surrender. Determined to rectify this situation, von Bock ordered Firenze to be captured holding out that the original plan would work: the a strong thrust towards Rome would result in the Italian capitulation. In four days, the mountain troops had traversed the Apennines and seized Firenze. Still, the Italians refused to surrender. By this point, Luftwaffe reconnaissance flights were reporting columns of Anglo-French troops and tanks pouring into Italy. Initial estimates had suggested two British divisions, but within hours the reports had ballooned to eighth British and 12 French divisions with more on the way. Either the ruins of Rome would need to be captured or a strike towards Milan would have to be made. Neither was possible, due to the limited number of troops available to Army Group C and the increasing number of Anglo-French troops as well as the rallying Italians. Von Bock's only remaining choice was to retreat. He communicated the facts to OKW and requested permission to retreat back to his start line. His orders came within the hour, "hold your position". Orders were quickly dispatched to the various divisions under him, to place his troops in a better defensive holding. However, any decent sized attack would more than likely collapse his position resulting in the obliteration of his command and the invasion of southern Germany.

zHNAiij.png

The frontline, following the order to hold what had been captured.​

Back in Germany, OKW were acting on the information sent to them. Within hours, a Luftwaffe Arado E.555 bomber (a flying wing original conceived for the bombing of the United States, but due to design flaws only capable of reaching a very much reduced range) squadron, based in southern Germany, had received a special delivery. An atomic device had been jury-rigged, from a warhead for a rocket, into a free-fall bomb. By the evening of 26 June, a lone bomber took off destined for Italy. Once over the Alps, it headed for Milan where - just as dusk fell - it dropped its payload. The city, under a Government sanctioned blackout, was illuminated in a massive atomic fireball. Just after midnight, an Italian general under a white flag of truce arrived on the frontline near Firenze to communicate the Italian Government's willingness to surrender.

The terms were rapidly drafted in Berlin and dispatched to Firenze, were the surviving Italian politicians had arrived. The terms were brief and lenient: South Tyrol was to be annexed to Germany, UN forces were to be dispelled from the country, and Italy (without a change to her government or sovereignty) was to exit the war immediately. Any re-entry or the continued allowance of UN forces to traverse Italy would be met by further atomic strikes. The Italians accepted without hesitation. Due to the annexation of South Tyrol, Benito Mussolini broke off diplomatic relations with the Reich. Without our support, the remaining elements of the Italian military took control of what had been Mussolini’s break away nation. Il Duce slipped away, with rumors suggesting he would rally support to regain his seat of power.

5vFTO8s.png

The new borders of Italy.​

In just fourteen days, von Bock had secured his greatest military victory. He had closed down an entire front, eliminating the third front the Reich would have to fight on. Despite the rapid advance and ability to flank Italian positions, the offensive had cost 12,000 men. The Italians reported the loss of 16,000. In one of the final acts of the campaign, a New Zealand infantry company – the vanguard of the UN advance into Italy – had been ambushed as they moved towards Firenze resulting in 82 deaths.

Last edited:
To note, I didn't bomb Milan. I bombed Cumo.

From what I have read online that is just a small little town without even a Serie-A team! It seems Cumo had level 10 industry, a major air field, and VP points, whereas Milan had nothing. I guess the mod removed them from Milan by mistake. So, since Milan - rather than a backwater town? - would actually make the more realistic target, that is what I have gone with for the story version of what happened in game.

To note, I didn't bomb Milan. I bombed Cumo.

From what I have read online that is just a small little town without even a Serie-A team! It seems Cumo had level 10 industry, a major air field, and VP points, whereas Milan had nothing. I guess the mod removed them from Milan by mistake. So, since Milan - rather than a backwater town? - would actually make the more realistic target, that is what I have gone with for the story version of what happened in game.

That's alright. But yeah, that is odd. At least you have one front blotted out. Who else shall be blotted out by the nuclear glow?

Good progress on Bock's part. And astonishing to see that it did take two nukes to get rid of the southern front.

How many units does this free up in total?

Are the UN forces retreating westward or will they try to attack from Italian soil into Tyrol?

Nice manoeuvre! But this means the allies will have even more units to defend France...

True, but he'll have more units as well. Leaving aside a corps or so to secure the newly aquired southern Tyrol etc, about an army worth of units will be transferred to France within short.

so Italy is in the right path again?

I want to nuke all the things! :D

Had to go out of town for the week, hence the absence. Will try and get an update up to night.

so Italy is in the right path again?

Out of the war, and neutral. Despite being nuked twice and having a democratic government and system, they are drifting towards me :blink:

I want to nuke all the things! :D

Soon ... soooooon! muah ha hahahha!

Case Derfflinger: the fighting continues (17 June – 14 July)

While the offensive in Italy had breached the Italian lines by the end of the first day, in France it had been 11 days without a breakthrough. The British infantry, mauled during the fighting, had held on long enough to allow the arrival of American reinforcements. An entire American Army, although which one had yet to be identified, had taken over the line at Versailles. The battle, for the UN, had essentially restarted from scratch as the fresh Americans moved into the well prepared, albeit battered, British positions and carried on the fight. On the other hand, the Fifth Army had practically exhausted itself during the battle and each day more and more units reported that they were unable to return to the battle due to casualties and fatigue. Sixth Army, already attempting to seize Étampes, was called upon to pick up the slack.

While the fighting raged around Versailles (as well as Auxerre), intel reports suggested that the UN was withdrawing forces from the "island" (the nickname applied to the territory north of Paris that was enclosed by several rivers). The five infantry divisions of Seventeenth Army, who had been earmarked for Case Derfflinger but forced to man the frontline at Arras, now found themselves in a unique position to influence the overall battle. They were ordered to attack Amiens. Their attack would pave the way for the redeploying Fourth and Sixth SS Panzer armies to strike into the island and perhaps collapse the northern end of the front. On 22 June, the infantry breached the UN line. Three days later the leading panzers arrived and started to push into the "island".

ib9jSjf.png

Situation maps: mid June and late June.
Inserts: tanks from Third Panzer Army advance across open country during the attack.
Infantry move past destroyed buildings during the heavy fighting around Versailles.​

Meanwhile, the American attack on Melun had finally been repulsed by Second Panzer Army. While some of the army's divisions had suffered heavily, most stood ready to strike. Rather than be funneled into the attack onto the "island" or provide support the First Panzer Army (who had now taken over from both the Fifth and Sixth armies in attacking Versailles), they were ordered to hold their positions. Having fought off a Canadian counterattack to retake Auxerre, on 23 June, Third Panzer Army finally launched its planned attack north aiming to clear the west bank of the Seine and strike Versailles from the southern flank. With the west bank cleared, the awaiting Second Panzer Army would be able to cross undisturbed to facilitate Third Panzer Army's attack and clear the way for First Panzer Army. With the bloody battle for Versailles over, all three panzer armies could then go about conducting the offensive that had been originally planned: cut off the northern UN armies.

On 29 June, after six days of fighting, the Third Panzer Army captured Étampes and the Second Panzer Army immediately started to cross the Seine. By the end of the day, the lead elements were attacking the southern flank of the American troops at Versailles. The quick victory that had been hoped for did not materialize and the bloodshed continued as panzer and panzergrenadiers stormed strongpoint after strongpoint and the Americans held firm. By the end of June, German casualties had reached an estimated 92,000 men (including those lost in Italy) while estimates placed the UN losses at 125,000.

st9Tf2x.png

The death toll of the epic Battle for Versailles.​

The fighting to take Versailles and further breach the UN defenses on the "Island" carried on for a further two weeks. On 13 July, Abbeville was captured after a battle that resulted in combined losses of over 30,000 men. The following day, the bloody battle of Versailles finally came to an end. The death toll of the battle ensured it listed as one of the bloodiest battles of the war. With the UN strongpoints taken, it was hoped that the northern thrust could be launched in conjunction with the attack on the "island" and finally a massive defeat inflicted upon the UN that could change the tide of the war on the Western Front.

Last edited:
Nichts neues an der Westfront... :p

So much bloodshed. I trust Allies are by having some problems with supplies?
Bombing down every road, railroad, harbour and supply convoy line?

Its been over a week since I played, but iirc the British AI seemed to have recovered awfully fast from their stockpile going bye-byes. Most of my bombers wouldn't reach the port either, so they were concentrated on Versailles were the province was bombed to hell and back.

Versailles was an epic battle indeed, hope you can keep that kill ratio

While not being a native speaker, which cannot even think of having your vocabulary, I have to say you confuse breech and breach on a regular basis :wacko:

But otherwise it's cool. The front is moving in the right (left!) direction! :D

Thanks for the comments guys!

Just an FYI: due to a new job and a different schedule to get use to, updates may be pretty sporadic for a while.

While not being a native speaker, which cannot even think of having your vocabulary, I have to say you confuse breech and breach on a regular basis :wacko:

:huh: I cant believe I have missed that! I guess when I get a chance, I will go over and amend.