About the new Russian submarines, which will be in service with Russia in 2030

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(478786)

Private
5 Badges
Apr 21, 2012
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Lead and Gold
  • Magicka
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.usAbout the new Russian submarines, which will be in service with Russia in 2030, you can read the following articles:

http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20111202/504183548.html or

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Подводные_лодки_проекта_955_«Борей»
or http://www.military-today.com/navy/borei_class.htm

The submarines of Project 955 "Borey" (NATO SSBN «Borei» or "Dolgorukiy" after the launching of the first vessel) - a series of Russian nuclear submarines of the class "missile submarine strategic" (SSBNs). As of September 2011, the lead ship - "Yuri Dolgoruky" - is a series of sea trials, a ship - "Alexander Nevsky" - launched one - "Vladimir Monomakh" - is under construction, for the fourth ship is created reserve materials.

In 2011, the voice of a plan built eight ships by 2018. In 2012, according to the newspaper "Kommersant" the plan has changed and includes the construction of 10 ships by 2020.

History of creation Project 955 strategic Borei class submarine

Missile submarine of Project 955 strategic "Northwind" ( Borei ) was developed in TSKBMT "Rubyn" (St. Petersburg), under the leadership of V. A. Zdornov . Length submarine - 160 m maximum water displacement - 24,000 tons. Submerged speed - up to 29 knots. Diving depth - up to 400 m Endurance - 90 days. The crew - 107 people.

Originally, submarines armed with a series of "Northwind" was supposed to be solid-fuel ballistic missile of a new generation of P-39UTTH "Bark", but after three consecutive unsuccessful test launches "Bark" and the disappointing estimate the time required for finishing the rocket, the Defense Ministry decided to develop A new missile system for solid D-19M ballistic missile R-30 "Bulava" (RSM-56).

Sonar equipment a MGK -600. "Amphora-Irtysh-D" - a single set of automated digital sonar, combining himself in the pure sense sonar (sound direction finding, echo direction finding, classification purposes, the detection of HA-signal, HA-bond) and all of hydroacoustic stations "small acoustics "(measurement of ice thickness, measuring the speed of sound, the search for mines, search polynyas and leads, the detection of torpedoes). It is expected that the range of the given set of submarine sonar will surpass the U.S. Navy such as "Virginia."

Class submarine cruisers "Borei" created to eventually replace the submarines of Project 941 "Akula» (Typhoon according to NATO classification) and 667BDRM "Dolphin» (Delta-IV according to NATO classification).

In 2008 against the backdrop of failed launches "Bulava" some experts proposed to convert the project 955 "Borei" by cruise missiles ..

Construction

Beginning in the late 1980s, was designed as a two-shaft submarine SSBN is similar in construction project 667BDRM "Dolphin" with a reduced height of the mines under the SLBM missile "Bark." On this project with the submarine factory number 201 and was founded in 1996 In 1998, it was decided to abandon SLBMs "Bark" in favor of SLBM "Bulava" to other dimensions, which led to the redesign of the submarine. At the same time, it became clear that the submarine can not be completed within a reasonable time in the face of declining funding and the disintegration of the Soviet Union and stop the flow of specific brands of metal with a steel plant Zaporozhye (Ukraine), there was a proposal to produce more and redesign groundwork for the use of unfinished submarine project 971 "Schuka-B" (Pike-B) and 949A "Antaeus"

According to the Director General of CDB "Rubyn" A. Diachkov , Project 955 submarines are 5 times less noise than the submarine project 971 "Schuka-B " (Pike-B) and 949A "Antaeus"

The motion is carried out using single-shaft water-jet propulsion system with high performance propulsion. Similarly, submarines of Project 971, "Schuka-B " (Pike-B) , the submarine has two reclining thrusters and retractable bow hydroplanes with flaps.

The submarines are equipped with Project Rescue - rescue bubble chamber, designed for the entire crew. Rescue the camera is located in the building behind the submarine from the SLBM launchers. Also, submarines are equipped with life rafts class KSU-600N-4 in the amount of 5 units.

Hull

The project has a double-hulled design. Rugged housing is made, probably made of steel with a yield strength of 100 kgf / mm (thickness 48 mm). Assembling the case is made by the block method: the equipment is installed inside the submarine on the shock absorbers and amortization blocks that are part of the overall system design, two-stage damping (each block is isolated from the rubber-cord pneumatic shock absorbers). Nasal tip of the fence cutting is made with forward lean to improve flow. The hull is covered with rubber radar absorbing reflected waves. Probably the active agents are used to reduce noise.

Power plant

The boat is installed nuclear power, probably with a pressurized water reactor thermal neutron BM-5 or similar to the steam-generating plant QA-650V output of 190 MW. The system control and protection foam - "Alioth". Rowing of the project according to unconfirmed reports will be installed nuclear power a new generation.

For the motion used single-shaft steam turbine plant with a block GTZA OK-9VM or similar to the depreciation of the improved capacity of 50,000 hp

To improve the maneuverability of submarines equipped with two dual-speed propeller thrusters submersible motors PG-160 rated at 410 hp (According to other sources - 370 hp). Located in the nominated speakers in the rear of the submarine.

Construction

Currently, the Severodvinsk JSC "Northern Machine Building Enterprise" (SME) are based on state order two submarines of this class: "Vladimir Monomakh" and "St. Nicholas."

Delays in the construction of ships of the series are related to inadequate funding and a shortage of skilled production workers. State test coincided with the first vessel failure at the primary developers of weapons - rocket complex "Bulava". It is planned the construction of ten submarines. The first three will be put into the Pacific Fleet. Naval Pacific Fleet base in Kamchatka will be ready to receive the submarines of this type in 2009-2010.

November 2, 1996 began construction of the first cruiser of this project - "Yuri Dolgoruky". Originally planned for launch in late 2006, but March 19, 2006 the degree of technical readiness was assessed only at 60%. April 15, 2007 the submarine was taken out of the shop, and February 12, 2008 launched, June 19, 2009 the first boat out to sea on factory performance trials ..

The second submarine "Alexander Nevsky" was laid on March 19, 2004. December 6, 2010 "Alexander Nevsky" was launched. Completion date - 2012.

During the construction of the first two SSBNs "Yuri Dolgoruky" and "Alexander Nevsky" unfinished sections were used and dismantled hulls of submarines of projects 971 "Schuka-B " (Pike-B) (K-133 "Lynx" (on russian transcription "Rys") and K-137 "Cougar" , and 949A "Antaeus" (K-135 "Volgograd" and K-160 "Barnaul").

March 19, 2006, the day of the century submarine fleet of Russia, "Sevmash" was held the ceremony of laying the third class nuclear submarine, "Northwind" - "Vladimir Monomakh". Completion date - 2013.

Work on the construction of the fourth class nuclear submarine, "Northwind" at "Sevmash" began in December 2009 . The ship will be called "St. Nicholas" . It will be built in the modification of 955U and 955A . The number of missile silos will be increased to 20 . At the moment, is almost formed a strong case, although the boat has not yet passed the official ceremony. The official ceremony is scheduled for March 18, 2012, eve of the Day submariner. For the fifth and sixth boats at the moment is created reserve, the official start of construction is expected in early 2012.

a reduced version of this article http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Подводные_лодки_проекта_955_«Борей»

Last edited:
Wow nice information - and the second I saw the second photo of that submarine it reminded me of a whale.

Wasn't someone mentioning that the VIRGINIA or SEAWOLF sail looked like it was just plopped on top? This one looks like it was installed upside down :)

I've always thought it was very confusing that what we (the US/NATO) call the Typhoon class, the Russians call Akula, and we (US/NATO) call the Russian named Schuka class the Akula class. To make it even MORE confusing the first Schuka was actually named Akula!!

Not that it's much better in the US. Straying way off topic here, but the Navy's naming convention has gone crazy. OHIOs were named after states (presumably being the new capital ships), and LOS ANGELES class after cities (SSN = cruiser?). Then SEAWOLF came along and we all thought "How nice - they're bringing back sea creatures for subs". Followed immediately by the next two - the CONNECTICUT and the JIMMY CARTER. And then VIRGINIAs all named after states too. So now the question becomes what will the OHIO Replacement SSBNs be named? Re-use the names of the decommissioned OHIOs? Famous admirals?

Back on topic - thanks for posting the article and pics.

Dave

Wasn't someone mentioning that the VIRGINIA or SEAWOLF sail looked like it was just plopped on top? This one looks like it was installed upside down :)

I've always thought it was very confusing that what we (the US/NATO) call the Typhoon class, the Russians call Akula, and we (US/NATO) call the Russian named Schuka class the Akula class. To make it even MORE confusing the first Schuka was actually named Akula!!

Not that it's much better in the US. Straying way off topic here, but the Navy's naming convention has gone crazy. OHIOs were named after states (presumably being the new capital ships), and LOS ANGELES class after cities (SSN = cruiser?). Then SEAWOLF came along and we all thought "How nice - they're bringing back sea creatures for subs". Followed immediately by the next two - the CONNECTICUT and the JIMMY CARTER. And then VIRGINIAs all named after states too. So now the question becomes what will the OHIO Replacement SSBNs be named? Re-use the names of the decommissioned OHIOs? Famous admirals?

Back on topic - thanks for posting the article and pics.

Dave

Yes, you're right. In the end, one must have time and desire, that would sort out this issue.

Steel ships are covered with rust. What are you surprised?

I wasn't trying to be rude. I just meant there were so many subs just left in shipyards (many that seemed current) it just seemed odd to build new when there were so many put to pasture. My rust comment was a euphamism for derelict craft. Personally I wish every country could stop producing armaments :( That money could go to a lot better stuff.

I wasn't trying to be rude. I just meant there were so many subs just left in shipyards (many that seemed current) it just seemed odd to build new when there were so many put to pasture. My rust comment was a euphamism for derelict craft. Personally I wish every country could stop producing armaments :( That money could go to a lot better stuff.

My opinion on this issue - the following. Russian is necessary to re-equip the army and navy in the near future. I also know that it will not conflict with international agreements.

Check out game theory (it's about math, not games) and especially "the prisoner's dilemma" to learn why this has not happened, and can not happen in a real world.
Well, it can, assuming we stop relying on chance to reduce arms. Enforced collusion—as in, non-proliferation treaties backed up by transparency etc—can effectively freeze/reduce the global arms stockpiles, as it has on a few occasions in the past.

What we shouldn't be doing is creating missile defence systems à la USA. Their attempt to create a wholly one-sided nuclear affair is more dangerous, arguably, than both sides holding increasing numbers of nuclear weapons. The idea is that each side should be able to use them, to dissuade the other from using them :p

Well, it can, assuming we stop relying on chance to reduce arms. Enforced collusion—as in, non-proliferation treaties backed up by transparency etc—can effectively freeze/reduce the global arms stockpiles, as it has on a few occasions in the past.

What we shouldn't be doing is creating missile defence systems à la USA. Their attempt to create a wholly one-sided nuclear affair is more dangerous, arguably, than both sides holding increasing numbers of nuclear weapons. The idea is that each side should be able to use them, to dissuade the other from using them :p

Or we could all just get along and stop hating/killing people that are different. I love war simulations but hate war. I want Gene Roddenberry's vision of a Star Trek future/humanity.

On "Sevmašu" signed a contract for the construction of a modern nuclear submarine project "Ash-m

-Andrey Arkadievich, epic contract for the State Defense order for 2011 year completed. What documents have been signed?
-On the "Sevmašu" signed a contract for the construction of a modern nuclear submarine project "Ash-m". This is a head boat, which is under construction. After long negotiations with the Defense we have defined its cost, which is the same suit and of Defense and enterprise.
From 2014, GOZ may make up to 70 per cent of the load. This is a very serious load.
-Why so delayed signing the contract?
-The Ministry of Defense, while in the stage of reorganizing, this year changed their approaches to pricing for military products. Frankly, we were not ready. In fact the problem boiled down to simulate the methodology in the formation of the prices for such complex objects like nuclear submarines and surface warships with a long cycle of manufacture.
Almost all the time, since the spring of this year, and it took until September, it is the convergence of positions on the methodology for the calculation of prices for these objects. In late August and early September, we have come to a common understanding of how and on what methodology we perform calculations. It took another one and a half-two months to review the submissions. As a result, and a price that is fixed in the contract. This is the path we have travelled this year.
In my opinion, this was inevitable, because times change, economic change and naturally the Defense changes his approach to those funds that it receives from the State. For us, it is clear to us, this means that you should better manage your production, it is necessary to look for ways to reduce the cost of production.
We will certainly continue to have addressed this issue-to increase productivity, reduce costs, internal losses. We now understand that the deal should be more intensively. And the task before all enterprises of the United shipbuilding Corporation (USC).

....USC signed a contract to build a series of APPLE "Ash-m". The contract will lead USC,-will act as a subcontractor. This series of 5 ships.

-When will be transferred to the Navy's first "ash tree", that is, multi-purpose submarine Severodvinsk "?
-"Speaking" to the employer, i.e. the Ministry of Defense, moving to the next year. Two reasons.
First-quality parts that we have received from suppliers. This is not a system command, with them just fine. This year we completed the first broskovye tests the newest missiles "calibre". That is, we have begun work on the missile range. This other computer components.
And the second is that the spacecraft systems are installed without the State tests. The same as we have with the "Mace".
Now, the ship made two exits. We have examined the safety of navigation-time readiness systems for firing, two. And before the end of the year we will be refining missile system.
Actually go public test ship and missile system ("calibre" and "Onyx"-ED).
After the completion of these tests and the State ship will be transferred to naval fleet. To all this must be 180 marine days, i.e. 6 months at sea. The end of 2012-acceptance. That is almost the whole year the ship will be in the sea and develop missiles and radio electronic armament and own systems. The ship, as media, proved to be good.

double posts deleted :)

You're assuming that there ever were actual codified naming conventions and not just loose guidelines to be broken at the CNOs convenience.

Speaking about the Russian ships, I can assure you that the numbering is present in the Russian navy. Even the obvious things military are trying to encrypt. Many Russian joke about it. But it is typical for any army in the world, I think.

You're assuming that there ever were actual codified naming conventions and not just loose guidelines to be broken at the CNOs convenience.

Depends how far you want to go back. During WWII era it was pretty clear really. Now it's evolved to mix and match, and how to satisfy politicians (name a sub after their state). Destroyers seem to be the only consistency these days as the guideline and history has been for years to name them after war heroes. There are probably exceptions here and there of those, but can't think of any off the top of my head (but then I'm sitting at Dulles Airport after a cancelled flight last night and sleeping on the floor in the airport so I'm not at my best)

Submarine "Severodvinsk" failed the test

Today at 14:25 feodorff5007510148

Tags: Navy research ships

Multipurpose nuclear submarine "Severodvinsk" project 885 "Yasen" will be put into service no earlier than 2013. According to "Interfax" referring to a source in the military-industrial complex, in the course of testing a nuclear reactor submarines did not give the required power. In addition, the boat does not provide the necessary level of noise.

"With such serious shortcomings in the arms ship of the fleet can not accept" - said the agency interlocutor.

At the present time also completed a contract to supply submarines to project "Yasen" new homing torpedoes, which is engaged in the production plant "Dagdizel." "New torpedoes with the required characteristics are still there. That product, which was created, is volatile and therefore can not be used for submarine weapons," - said the representative of the defense.

In the event of further delays in the supply of torpedoes "Dagdizel" submarine "Severodvinsk" arm the torpedoes of the old type, who stood in service submarines Project 949A "Antaeus" (which belonged to the nuclear-powered vessel "Kursk").

Submarine "Severodvinsk", the lead ship of Project 885 "Ash", was launched on June 15, 2010 and September 2011 went to sea to sea trials. It is now also being built submarine "Kazan", designed to 885M upgrade projects. A total of up to 2021 the Russian Navy should get seven or eight submarines of Project 885.

Submarines of "Ash" are capable of speeds over 30 knots, dive to 600 meters and be located in the autonomous navigation of up to 100 days. The crew of a ship designed for 90 people, including 32 officers. Submarine project being developed in accordance with the requirements of low noise, and this indicator would be comparable with U.S. submarines of "Virginia."

According to a source of "Interfax", on Monday, August 13, the port city of Murmansk region Gadzhievo returned missile submarine "Novomoskovsk" Project 667 BDRM. From April 2007 the submarine repair and modernization took place in Severodvinsk. At the end of 2011 in the Northern Fleet and returned to another submarine Project 667 BDRM "Verkhoturye."