• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Spricar

General
77 Badges
Dec 2, 2002
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Pride of Nations
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
Seeing that this game is remarkable similar to Civilization V (it seems like it is running on the same engine) I would like someone (some beta testers perhaps) to give me as much info on some Civ.V issues, before I go out and buy this game:

1. Is AI diplomacy as horrible as in Civ. V (wastly inferiror civs. DOWing you, AI unwilling to cooperate, Civs. with only a couple of citites on the brink of destruction refusing to sign defensive pact with your peaceful yet military superpower civ.,,,)?
2. How does game run in later stages? Civ. V ran just fine in the first 100 turns but became obnoxiously slow afterwards (more than a minute between turns), something that had to do with units pathfinding and hexagonial net (which this ganme uses to)
3. Veeeeeeery long loading times (more than 5 minutes when loading a game from a later stage), all this on a high end rig
4. Graphical issues in late game (very choppy texture loading, some textures do not load at all,...), again on a high end rig

Since those issues weren't resovled in latest Civ. V patch I'm afraid they wont be in this game too...

1 http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?605807-Outrageous-Diplomacy

2,3,4 there have been no mentions of this on the forums

define high end rig

thats why I'm asking beta testers, demo is only 50 turns long (and it sure plays like Civ. V).

My rig:

Mainboard S-1155 ASUS TUF Sabertooth P67 (Rev.3.0), ATX
INTEL Core i7 - 2600K, 3,40GHz, LGA1155, Quad-Core
PCI-E 3.0 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850, Lite retail, 2048MB
DDR3-RAM 16 GB, 1600 MHz, CL9, KINGSTON HyperX Genesis
SSD 120GB 2.5'' SATA3 MLC, Corsair Force 3
Silentpower LC6650GP3-650W V2.3

Master of Magic must be rip off of Civilization too.

Fun-kb4-10units-destroyed.jpg

4053.jpg

:D :D :D

P.S.
Now seriously. There is almost no similarities with Elven Legacy (that game more resembles HOMM/kings bounty while on tactical map), but Warlock interface does look very much like Civ, including some of the game mechanics (cities as forts), which is not bad thing.

Last edited:
If Civ 5 is so bad why is it still in the top 10 most played games on steam ?

I would love to see warlock in the top 10 games a year and a half after release, I really would, Im loving it so far.

Last edited:

They look similar. However, the mechanics are different from Civ 5. Just play the demo.

I take it that COD is a ripoff of battlefield?

I did play the demo, and it looked even more similar to me, than just by judging those pics...

Still, if they say that it's not based on civs engine, I'll just have to believe that. So I'm sorry.

I just don't get it. Interface is similar of course. Cause Civ5 interface is good. All other elements are just the same as in Elven Legacy or Fantasy Wars or Majesty.

Look at modern fantasy games. They all have elves, dwarfs, dragons, magic swords. And then our young game experts says "that Witcher 2 game is total rip-off from Dragon Age: it has a dark world with elves, dwarfs and dragons. And the king is killed in both games". Or, f.e., say that all modern shooters are the same: they all have the same weapons!

(Well, shooters also have same mechanics. http://www.cracked.com/article_18973_why-modern-war-fps-games-all-look-same-5Bchart5D.html )

Still, if they say that it's not based on civs engine, I'll just have to believe that. So I'm sorry.

I just don't understand this "same engine" talk. Do people understand what engine is? F.e. Civilization 4 and Skyrim are built on the same engine. Mass Effect 1 & Mass Effect 2 have different engines. Do you think that team has stolen Civ 4 source code and sells you a game mod? Look at game, it's nothing like Civ 5 in mechanics, it's just hex strategy games aren't widespread in 3D form and Civ 5 revived it for masses.

fantasy-wars-20070712000740871_640w.jpg

That's Fantasy Wars, InoCo game of 3 years before Civ 5. Did Civ 5 ripped it off? No, cause they both look like classic hex wargame in 3D.

I just don't understand this "same engine" talk. Do people understand what engine is? F.e. Civilization 4 and Skyrim are built on the same engine. Mass Effect 1 & Mass Effect 2 have different engines. Do you think that team has stolen Civ 4 source code and sells you a game mod? Look at game, it's nothing like Civ 5 in mechanics, it's just hex strategy games aren't widespread in 3D form and Civ 5 revived it for masses.

fantasy-wars-20070712000740871_640w.jpg

That's Fantasy Wars, InoCo game of 3 years before Civ 5. Did Civ 5 ripped it off? No, cause they both look like classic hex wargame in 3D.

1. I said I'm sorry

2. I wasn't talking about hexes and didn't compare those games just because of them. I did play Fantasy wars (and its expansion/sequel), as I did play Civilization V. Then I've played warlock - MOA. And I can tell you, both games are really similar, not just becouse hexes. And I'm not the only one who noticed that. go and check civ. , you'll see. I agree that warlock has some CONCEPTS similar to fantasy wars, but ENGINE sure looks and feels like Civ. V. If it's not the same, than its a very good copy.
Thats all.

Both games have the roots in Panzer General. Jon Shafer has cited Panzer General as inspiration for Civ V time and time again in interviews, and Warlock's predecessor Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy was an update of Fantasy General which was a fantasy take on Panzer General.

So blame Panzer General.

Seeing that this game is remarkable similar to Civilization V (it seems like it is running on the same engine) I would like someone (some beta testers perhaps) to give me as much info on some Civ.V issues, before I go out and buy this game:

1. Is AI diplomacy as horrible as in Civ. V (wastly inferiror civs. DOWing you, AI unwilling to cooperate, Civs. with only a couple of citites on the brink of destruction refusing to sign defensive pact with your peaceful yet military superpower civ.,,,)?
2. How does game run in later stages? Civ. V ran just fine in the first 100 turns but became obnoxiously slow afterwards (more than a minute between turns), something that had to do with units pathfinding and hexagonial net (which this ganme uses to)
3. Veeeeeeery long loading times (more than 5 minutes when loading a game from a later stage), all this on a high end rig
4. Graphical issues in late game (very choppy texture loading, some textures do not load at all,...), again on a high end rig

Since those issues weren't resovled in latest Civ. V patch I'm afraid they wont be in this game too...

AI in combat seems better than Civ 5. AI is very stubborn in diplomacy, so yeah kind of like Civ 5. Keep in mind I haven't played Civ 5 in months.

I've not noticed any crazy lag at later stages of the game. I been playing mostly on my laptop Asus W90vp.

No where near as long loading times as Civ 5. Warlock loads as fast as Elven Legacy.

I have yet to see any graphic issues, hell I have had no crashes either. Longest game so far has been 162 turns.

I'm playing the IGN beta, which received a patch last weekend.

Last edited by a moderator: