• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry.....but I do really like civ 5, and I find it better than civ 4, 3, 2, 1. Only Alpha Centauri is better though.
But this new game seems to be a hit for me, so I really look forward to it's release. Just my opinion.

There really isn't anything wrong with Civ 5. It isn't Civ 4 complete, but that is because Civ 4 has had many patches and two expansion packs. It is still a good game.

Dude...

http://www.gamersgate.com/games?prio=relevance&q=civilization v

I believe there is enuff of expansiondlccivilizationpacks in here. And more will come, there is announced religions and spies dlc...WOW I AM AMAZED! If devs would put all that time instead of creating that money leeching crap into actual game developement, we could have now CIV V Warlock edition...Oh WE DO HAVE IT NOW! :)

Little too PRO WARLOCK post but well...

Last edited:
I should me conserned about what casual gamers think rather than hardcore fans? Rather not. That would give me
nothing but endless tower defence games, zombie games etc. Exactly the crap that swamps AppStore at the moment.

Games like MOM, MOO, MOO2 etc were made for people who love gaming and they set the standards.

Also. Age of Wonders and HOMM are fantasty strategy games and as such have more relevance to this game than Civ V, a game soonforgotten when those 20k on Steam without life stops playing it. Age of Wonders contain all the X:s as far as I am aware btw.

I am not really getting you.The people who consistently play Empire and CIV5 and make them popular on steam are casual Iphone players and not strategy gamers? I think common sence suggests they are hardcore strategy gamers who play the games a lot.

Warlock is cleary influenced by CIV5.The 1upt,Hex based strategic map and UI are more or the less the same.

I am not really getting you.The people who consistently play Empire and CIV5 and make them popular on steam are casual Iphone players and not strategy gamers? I think common sence suggests they are hardcore strategy gamers who play the games a lot.

Warlock is cleary influenced by CIV5.The 1upt,Hex based strategic map and UI are more or the less the same.

Just saying that just using numbers to prove quality doesn't work too well. Mind you. That would immediately make all those awful casual facebook games masterpieces if you used that factor alone.

Of course anyone is free to enjoy Civ5 as it is but saying that someone should use it as a template to make a new game is something else. I think there are far better examples in that case, hint number 1 MOM ;) (not cloning of course but influences yes).

Well I thank the numbers speak for them self,,But there are times when one may not agree with the masses,

Take Counter strike, I dont see why so many people love that game,,I dont, but clearly there are ALOT of people who do,And for them it must be a really great game.

I never actually liked 4. I played 1, 2, 3, 5 and even Revolution to death though!

I did not mean to imply that a certain taste is wrong. I use the same example with Empire Total War, I do not care how many hates it, to me it is good enough and that is all that matters.

But that aside. There are far better factors than number of players when deciding what features to study for a game. Many awful games have tons of players (especially those that attract Chinese gold farmers).

Well I thank the numbers speak for them self,,But there are times when one may not agree with the masses,

Take Counter strike, I dont see why so many people love that game,,I dont, but clearly there are ALOT of people who do,And for them it must be a really great game.

COD is considered best/most selled/most played/most everything game for ever and ever played/to be played in the future by millions and bazillions of people. Numbers tells us something...now what would that be? Either bazillions of people are well not so bright or the game is truly what i typed earlier... Numbers speak but will you listen?

COD is considered best/most selled/most played/most everything game for ever and ever played/to be played in the future by millions and bazillions of people. Numbers tells us something...now what would that be? Either bazillions of people are well not so bright or the game is truly what i typed earlier... Numbers speak but will you listen?

Well will ya :)

2. How does game run in later stages? Civ. V ran just fine in the first 100 turns but became obnoxiously slow afterwards (more than a minute between turns), something that had to do with units pathfinding and hexagonial net (which this ganme uses to)
3. Veeeeeeery long loading times (more than 5 minutes when loading a game from a later stage), all this on a high end rig
4. Graphical issues in late game (very choppy texture loading, some textures do not load at all,...), again on a high end rig

I run Civ 5 on a 8 year old computer that was never a gaming rig to start with and don't have these problems. Are you sure your not exaggerating these "problems"?

Presumably on an 8 year old non-gaming computer you're going to have the graphics turned down so it won't have as much textures to load which might counter issue 2 and 3.
Civ V really doesn't have brilliant performance in the end game (though they have improved things in patches) and does indeed take a long time to load. It's still a great game though.

Dude...

http://www.gamersgate.com/games?prio=relevance&q=civilization v

I believe there is enuff of expansiondlccivilizationpacks in here. And more will come, there is announced religions and spies dlc...WOW I AM AMAZED! If devs would put all that time instead of creating that money leeching crap into actual game developement, we could have now CIV V Warlock edition...Oh WE DO HAVE IT NOW! :)

Little too PRO WARLOCK post but well...

Those are maps and civilization , they don't really count as an expansion pack. I doubt many devs have to work on those packs but they have been very stupid with regards to the shear amount of DLC. But Civ 5 works and its enjoyable to play. I'm sure with expansion packs, it will get even better and better than Civ 4 by the end of it.

If even a mainstream magazine pans the original then that should say all :).

Well judging by Tom Chicks preview/review, this game has a tactical AI Civ5 can only dream off so all comparisons should die with that.
I expect the team here to improve the AI further.

It seems the Civ5 hate is so strong that some people won't buy Warlock only because it looks similar to it...

That would be a great pity as they are nothing like each other apart from superficially. I don't think Civ5 is worth my time when Civ4 is so much better as a strategy game. The FFH2 mod to Civ4 is particularly fun, the AI is bad but the magic and vast variety of creatures make the game interesting and moreish.