• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was thinking about Sudden Carnage. The USSR DOWed Germany after it conquered Poland and the Allies attacked western Germany at the same time. That was in 1939. However, CptEasy did not sign the M-R Pact. Still, it makes little difference - the fact is that the Axis was fighting a two-front war from 1939 on and it still won.

Also, I thought that it was not possible to break a NAP for several months?

NAP_EXPIRY_MONTHS = 45, -- NAPs expire after this many months
NAP_UNBREAKABLE_MONTHS = 6, -- NAPS cannot be broken for this many months
NAP_FORCE_BALANCE_RULE_MONTHS = 6, -- The NAP border force balance rule changes with this interval
NAP_BREAK_FORCE_BALANCE_1 = 2.0, -- 2-1 brigades along the border required to break NAP
NAP_BREAK_FORCE_BALANCE_2 = 1.0, -- 1-1 brigades along the border required to break NAP
NAP_BREAK_FORCE_BALANCE_3 = 0.5 -- 1-2 brigades along the border required to break NAP

It also looks like you could easily mod this, e.g. you could change the required ratio for breaking the pact from 2.0 to 3.0, from 1.0 to 1.5 and from 0.5 to 0.75.

Last edited:
The Pact is signed before the war. So I guess the 6 months period is done by the fall of Poland. Well, that's my best explanation.

The Pact is signed before the war. So I guess the 6 months period is done by the fall of Poland. Well, that's my best explanation.
This is one possible explanation. However, I'm using HPP for SF, so I don't have FTM installed ATM - maybe that value was changed in FTM. Check your defines.lua file.

Anyway, it's possible to mod it if you want...

This is one possible explanation. However, I'm using HPP for SF, so I don't have FTM installed ATM - maybe that value was changed in FTM. Check your defines.lua file.

Anyway, it's possible to mod it if you want...

Value you posted are ok in FTM 3.05
MOD : yes, agreed. We are not to kind to mod but, who knows ! We could move that way too ! Anyway. We agreed on HR saying : No breaking pact until France fall or 20 th of July 1940

Yes, our experience so far has been that Soviet is so weak, tech-wice and officer-wice early in a 38-start that Germany quite easy can fend them of, either by crushing them first or holding them of with few forces while winning the west.

I actually did domething very similar like this in the MP game before Wildfire (my first AAR). It is unpublished, unfortunately as it was quite exciting, but was close to become a success. Unfortunately, Japan lost an army to the Chinese (green player) and Italy was more or less vanquished by UK so I could not hold on alone as Germany. But I am honestly a little surprised Axis lost here.

Still, everything can happen in MP. One wrong move at the wrong moment can cost you everything.

Yes, our experience so far has been that Soviet is so weak, tech-wice and officer-wice early in a 38-start that Germany quite easy can fend them of,

I think the difference is we do a '36 start, not a '38 start. For a country like USSR, it can make all the difference in the world. They still aren't a power house by any stretch, but they will be lightyears ahead of where they are in a '38 start.

Last edited:
One final observation: If the goal of your early Sealion was to knock out the UK, then the idea was flawed from the start: there aren't enough VP on the Isles to force surrender. Thus the most you can achieve is weaken one opponent - but it will leave you unable to stop counterattacks by the two others.

No there aren't. But you don't have the force the UK to surrender to knock it out for some time. The goal of Sealion was to deprive the UK of most of its industry and leadership, as well as destroying the large portion of its army. This would open up the destruction of the RN as it attempted to blockade its own island and cut off German convoys. My fleet of NAVs was doing a faily effective job at that, given they had only been on task for two months. Alot of british fleets were down to half strength.

You don't have to force a UK surrender to make them a non-factor for 12 months. That is what the goal was, not a UK surrender.

The coastline is short, but you have all of Denmark to defend as well. Plus, the other factor is France. Sure you don't need a ton of troops to garrison the border, but neither does he. With most of the German army in the east with Russia, France is free to support invasions on the northern coastline with 80% of their land army. Unless you prepare for a USSR invasion in '39 from the beginning of the '36 campaign, it is virtually impossible to defeat against good players, with a human UK, human France, and human Canada for support. But if you prepare for it from the beginning, then you are essentially forcing the German player into a very similar build every game and it ruins the experience. Would you want to play an MP game over and over in which Germany had to do the exact same build every single game in order to not be rolled by the SU in '39?

Last edited:
I was thinking about Sudden Carnage. The USSR DOWed Germany after it conquered Poland and the Allies attacked western Germany at the same time. That was in 1939. However, CptEasy did not sign the M-R Pact. Still, it makes little difference - the fact is that the Axis was fighting a two-front war from 1939 on and it still won.

Also, I thought that it was not possible to break a NAP for several months?

It also looks like you could easily mod this, e.g. you could change the required ratio for breaking the pact from 2.0 to 3.0, from 1.0 to 1.5 and from 0.5 to 0.75.

The pact timeline is weird. I have tried in my SP games and it seems that it doesn't matter when I sign it, it's always able to be broken by fall of Poland. Then you have to mess with the force concentration rule. That or I am going crazy, which is equally likely.

It worked it Carnage al Dente. We (axis) could not break it in the beginning, even though we came close when we massed our troops. Then, the 6 month-change came and we broke it and attacked.

Still assessing on how to finish that game. Soon, some fresh news !