• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May 5, 2012
As a small, independent UK retailer with have encounted issues where customers from the EU are unable to install their game due to a region lock.

I appreciate the need for developers to lock out global regions that conflict with sensible pricing structures - like Russia. But this stock is official UK stock and I have never had a situation where a game can not be run in another EU country.

If there could be some clarification as to what has been put in place it would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Oh how nice. I come on the site because I can't install the game and I see someone is having the same problem :)
Indeed, I received my game on DVD last week, from play.com in the UK. I live in Amsterdam. When I tried to install the game I got the message "Sorry, but the following items are not available for purchase in this country. Your purchase has been cancelled". I had a chat with play.com, and they said that as far as they are concerned the key I have should work. If this is not the case I would like to have a statement somewhere, as they won't do anything in the current condition.

Thanks

EDIT: one more reason to hate Steam

Having purchased the game from OP, I managed to get around the problem by having a trusted UK friend activate the game for me. As this cannot be recommended for most, more reliable way is to use UK VPN.

As it is, these "solutions" no way change the publishers responsibility to their retailers.

That is one way, but as a retailer I can't recommend my customers use a VPN :)

Would be nice to get a response from Paradox or the dev team. I purchased a fair chunk of stock in this game and tried to push it out there to the market.. to have a lock like this is a bit of a kick in the teeth as the independent games market is a very very hard one when you are constantly fighting against the likes of Amazon all the time. I make my money by spotting the little non-AAA "Gems" that come out that the bigger retailers miss. I hoped this would have been one of them..

Much appreciated. Kudos for having a forum that acts as a direct link to the dev team and publishers. I shall visit here more often! I'll have a read through the rules before advertising who I actually am though, in case it isn't allowed :)

Ok, could you try and activate the codes again? They should now work.

If not, please report back and I'll take this further. There should be no region lock, so this is an error we are trying to fix. Sorry for the inconvenience!

not for me. Just tried again.

I don't see what I'm doing wrong. I'm using the only number I see, printed around the central hole of the dvd. Weird position for a number, but there's nothing else to use.
Could it be because I have it on dvd?

The code should be on the format of xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx and printed on the DVD in a horizontal white field or in an inlay in the box. Not around the hole.

Could you take a look again and see if you find something that look like it could be the code?

That is exactly the structure: 15 digits and letters, divided in 3 groups of 5, separated by hyphen. It is printed on a white field, but it's not horizontal, its more a circular white stripe right around the hole. As I said in my earlier post, I don't see any other number. Later I should be able to post a scanned copy. Without the number of course :)
Aside from the dvd the box is completely empty. Total black, nothing more. And the box was sealed when it came.