• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Anything in the Russian region that can form Russia and pwn everything around it. Naturally, without the uber annoying hordes (replaced with old style tribal govts).

My first successful game was with Portugal, so they have a soft spot in my heart. I also happen to be running an AAR with Portugal (shameless plug)! The Ottoman Empire is high on the list, too.

Austria for that delicious Habsburg Dominance if I want to play a Diplomatic Game. Byzantium for that special "bringing an old empire back from the brink of destruction". The Timurids because I consider Timur himself to be right up there with Napoleon and Alexander and it's kinda nice to have a chance to play such an empire during the lifetime of its founder and try to live up to its name afterwards; if just their playstyle wasn't so painful.

Oh, I don't know if I have a favorite. I guess my most rewarding experiences have been rising to glory with small nations like the Mongol Khanate, Chagetai, Brunei, Songhai and generally countries that are in the periphery of what people might mostly play. Those play-throughs often digress into gamey-ness, mind you, but are great for learning mechanics, micromanagement and obscure history.

In the traditional European realm, Sweden is always a favorite, although I suppose most people might enjoy playing their home country from time to time.

I tend to like playing the major powers - especially Castile, France, England, Austria - and I've had some enjoyable runs with Bavaria and Brandenburg and Denmark.

Bavaria was quite fun. Cherokee too once I got past the "abuse the stupid ai to survive" stage at least. My favorite is Muscovy though, been a big fan since way back in the EU 1 days...

I seem to prefer land-focused nations. I've had some fun with France (gobble up cores, cripple England and make German rulers wish that they never be elected emperor, then quit in the mid 16th century when you've become unbeatable), and as others have mentioned, "pre-Russian" countries like Muscowy or Novgorod are also cool. Atm I'm enjoying a Teutonic Order->Prussia game, "knocking" at the door of the HRE and making emporer Bohemia more than a little bit nervous. :)

Russia. Well muscowy as it forms russia fastest. Also riga is nice, as it got good possibility of expansion (TO), and you can make nice trade profits. Also, it is quite challenging. At least i thought so, until AI amazed me with its stiupidity(Teutons left their land, and their forces departed to france, leaving NO forces in the mainland... i took the opportunity, and forced them to give me all imperial provinces).

I like Brandenburg, England, and Austria, England for the colonial game, Brandenburg for the reformation or germany and prussia, and Austria to destroy all my neighbours!!! ooooh what fun with Austria

Anything in the Russian region that can form Russia and pwn everything around it. Naturally, without the uber annoying hordes (replaced with old style tribal govts).
Have you tried Death and Taxes? Hordes are tribal governments in that mod and Serbia's way more powerful there.

What are your favourites? I'm new to the game but I had an enjoyable save with Sweden..
Hmm... Hard to say. I'd say England is probably the most fun for a beginner because of all those missions and free cores. But it gets boring fast as you rape every other nation left and right very quickly.

For the average-skilled experienced players like me, I'd say any minor that has a decent shot (but no disgustingly overpowered missions) at forming a nation is fun. Tuscany and Lorraine are probably the best examples I can think of.

If you are a masochist like DDRJake, you may want to consider countries like Arakan, Kongo, Ryukyu, and Chimu.

Last edited:
Novgorod has emerged as my favourite nation. Note that I've modded it to a Noble Republic, seems more in line with what I've read about it. Muscowy? Bah! The North is where it's at.

D&T Serbia sounds like a good choice too, even Hungary, but I haven't tried them.

The Roman Empire was kinda fun too, but I hate the Romans. Smacking them around as the Devlet-i ʿAliyye-yi ʿOsmâniyye sounds like a plan for my next game...

Or maybe uniting my home country of Romania, since I've given the provinces there a massive boost (I hate my own jingoism).

I had a great game with Savoy. Tangoing Diplomacy with Aragon and eating Sardinia, forming Sardinia-Piedmont, and then Italy.

EU1/EU2 - Muscovy - "it all belongs to mother Russia" I still get a good laugh when I remember their 2 best generals January and February in action but since attrition is not as big a factor in EU3 and when the game was first released you needed QFTNW just to fight kazan and sibir

EU3 - HAB just for easy access to northern Italy, I hated them in EU1/2 since they always became the BWB