+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite countries to play with?

I've had fun with the netherlands (made from holland) and majaphut, along with bihar and denmark.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

I love playing weaker countries and forming major nations with them. Some of my favorites have been Pskov, Saruhan, Papal States and Hesse.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZMitch View Post
    I love playing weaker countries and forming major nations with them. Some of my favorites have been Pskov, Saruhan, Papal States and Hesse.
    I made germany out of hesse back in IN when it was actually possible to expand in the HRE without PU spamming.

Papal States
    Always loved the idea of playing gods represantative, but conquering more than a small european powerbase and Jerusalem just doesn't feel right.

I've recently been playing around with Knights, they are fun. Being the last vestige of the crusades, and coming back from the bring of destruction and taking over the holy land is fun.

Teutonic Order was my first successful game so it holds a nice place in my heart. I am currently doing a Teutonic Order -> Russia (yes Russia, not Prussia) game for a change of pace.

Venice is fun, messing in the Balkans and owning the Mediterranean.

Bavaria is fun for the quick Germany formation and being a power in Central Europe.

Every day is exactly the same anubisfike's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    MagickaRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by insolent1 View Post
    I hated them in EU1/2 since they always became the BWB
    Nostalgia!

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    War of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Tuscany and Holland are both a heck of a lot of fun. Brandenburg is also fun, but only if Bohemia doesn't Russiaify.
    Reasons Why You Should Play Any Character in CK2
    -----------------
    Current playthrough(s): Tibet, 1444 (EU4)

Corporal
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHeir to the Throne

I'm new to this game and on my third try with Denmark. This time with a little more success than my first attempt.

I took a loan (I have read borrowing is a "dead-sin" - but I needed them). Made a big army and kicked the teeth out of Sweden. Then turned against Hamburg and Bremen (they were allied on only one war-declaration was needed). Won that.

Next step was going overseas via the small islands. Now I have a whole Southafrica, Australia, some of the spicy-islands north of Australia, and very large areas of South- and Northamerica.

But severel times I have to go back to an earlier save, because Scotland continues to drag me into war. And Scotland is allied with France, who has become a big AI-bastard on the map. I'm simply not strong enough to win a war against one of the big nations. How the h.ck that nation (and several others) have reached land- and naval-evels MUCH higher than me in less than 200 year.......... I do wonder.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

There is nothing that beats the sheer thrill of turning your small pitiful band of people you call a country into something great.

Its really weird...you yourself irl start believing in them, you share their pain, and share their joy...and their epitome, a small, or nearly dead country...its like you feel the power of God and hope coursing through your veins as you click the mouse, and hit the spacebar.

Byz of course is the most ready expression of this, playing them is almost like a drug, a high.

Another way I'll do it is say, releasing a nation from another, and playing as them, or picking a small/opm and giving them a different reloigion, and see where we can go from there.
    Nationality - American
    Ethnicity - American
    Religion - Sikh
    Political Ideology - Anti-Communist, Raj America

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Papal States
    Papal States? How much of papal states?

Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

After playing around a bit Navarra has emerged as my favourite. I always thought Holland started with the best sliders, but they are nothing compared to the goodness of navarra. You can be in the New world by 1420, get Asian trade by 1430 and have an income of over 1000 before 1450 draws to a close and before you even start to colonize. Once the carrib and Indonesia is under the rightful rule of the basque people you will have incredibly good income.

Quote Originally Posted by insolent1 View Post
    EU1/EU2 - Muscovy - "it all belongs to mother Russia" I still get a good laugh when I remember their 2 best generals January and February in action but since attrition is not as big a factor in EU3 and when the game was first released you needed QFTNW just to fight kazan and sibir
    I miss "we have seen this before" as an event option... Ah, the good old days of avoiding wars for 30 years so as to not trigger the Oprichnina. I kind of miss all the nation specific event chains, OTOH the BWB was quite ridiculous...

HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I've always enjoyed playing as Scotland, releasing the various nations of Britain and then colonising. Only problem is England attack nearly as regularly as a horde, so you have to seriously curd stomp them at which point you might as well form britain - which would have been easier had you started as england. The good thing about scotland though is you can keep England at such a size where they are still agreesive, yet not threateningly big and use this to keep military tradition high.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Any of the Indonesian countries, the Mongol Khanate, Holstein...
    If I want to be a badass, I play as Bohemia.
    Turning Switzerland into a colonial Kingdom is kinda fun too... same goes for a bunch of OPMs near France.
    If you want a real challenge try to be successful as a French vassal like Berry. Avignon can make for an exciting game too.

Divine WindEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Granada is the best. Good challenge.
    "I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep" ~Charles Maurice de Talleyrand
    "I never argued with anyone hoping to win the debate; rather I always wished that the truth would come from his side" ~Ibn Idrīs al-Shāfi‘ī
    "We do not surrender, we win or die" ~Omar Al-Mukhtār

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    MagickaRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae Victis

Maledives, then Ming . . . and Finland.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaSengoku
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Byzantium, Vijayanagar, England, Muscovy.
    House of Ivy: A Europa Universalis IV AAR. My Inkwell.

"There is nowhere else. You will only tread a circle, Titus Groan. There's not a road, not a track, but it will lead you home. For everything comes to Gormenghast."

"...Well, thank you, Projekt. I am now what is known as Dead. And you were all wrong about the afterlife."

I always liked Holland and Sweden.

Also, I like to click the scenario "The Fall of Byzantium" then go back one day and try to revive the Byzantine Empire from one day before its collapse. It's quite difficult

The Golden Horde, I just love OM NOM NOM NOMing Europe

My top three are Holland, Poland, and byzantium.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast