• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(484509)

Second Lieutenant
7 Badges
Apr 28, 2012
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
A Democratic Germany, a Divided World.

Hi everyone,
basically this is my first mod and originaly it did exactly what it says on the tin and more, offering you the option of a democratic Germany.
It is an improvement of the Day of Decision scenario.
Playing as Germany, you will be offered a third option on 5th March: not just a Nazi or Communist Germany, but a Democratic Germany.

This improvement of the Day of Decision scenario gives the player a thrid option in March 1933: the option of a democratic Germany. The premise is that the democratic parties in Germany unite in a "Weimar coalition" to keep the Nazis out, at least for now. Included are many new ministers and events which have turned into a whole new alternate timeline up to 1964. As global tensions rise, you will be forced to choose between your former enemies, Britain and France or fellow pariah state Soviet Russia. You will lead a democratic Germany in a divided world...

Now intergrated with Faulty's "A Communist Germany" Mod, two mods, one download!
Democratic or Communist? You decide!

The mod has evolved into a whole new scenario, with events, ministers, elections and wars up to 1964!
After the Nazis lose the election the democratic parties will have do deal with plenty of dissent and it will be a battle to keep order. When Hindenburg dies in 1934, a presidential election is held. If the nationalist DNVP win, you will be given the option to restore the monarchy in the form of Kaiser Wilhelm III.

elections occur during peace time all the way up to 1964. In this mod, the elections are not just important in deciding which ministers can be used. Different governments have different events and decisions connected to them, such as a Kulturkampf for Zentrum, public investment for the SPD or military expansion for the DNVP. this makes the different governments more interesting!

Through the 1930's, the Allies will try and keep germany happy by allowing them some of their territory back as well as league of nations plebiscites in saarland, sudetenland and austra. On the other hand, Germany's only friend in the 1920's, Soviet Russia, will be trying to woo Germany with beneficial trades. By 1940, you will have to make a decision, do you want to side with the Russians or the Allies? The new WW2 invloves a war between the allies (including germany) against the USSR over poland or a similar ww2 to the historical one, with a molotov ribbentrop style pact between germany and the USSR, depending on which side you pick. Peace events have been added as well as elections and political reforms all the way up to 1964. Enjoy!
Please download and try it out!
Any suggestions or improvements would be much appriciated!

This mod imagines a scenario in which the democratic parties (SPD,Zentrum,DDP,DVP) win over 50% of the vote and form a grand coalition in the defence of democracy in 1933.
This would require the democratic parties to win 16% more of the vote than they actually did, not as unlikely as the communists winning 38% more than they actually did!

Following this decision, a series of hypothetical events and decisions will occur, up to 1964, including elections.
Each coalition comes with a unique series of events and decisions, so elections do actually matter!
In terms of ministers, I have added many leading members of the democratic parties. If you are like me, you'll want to appoint a geniune coalition cabinet with members of each of the participating parties. (I dont claim to have made all these minister btw) Here's the guide to the parties:

Communists: whenever the communists are elected, the DDR is created, as in the initial 1933 election, and all the DDR decisions and events are available.

SPD: Social democratic party, unsuprisingly represented by the social democrat ideology
Arthur Crispien (head of state, foreign minister)
Otto Wels (head of government)
Hans Vogel (head of government, foreign, armament, security minister)
Rudolf Hilferding (armament and foreign minister)
Gustav Bauer (Security, intelligence)
Philip Schiedemann (government, armament)

DDP: German Democratic party, centre-left liberals, represented by social liberal ideology
Eugen Schiffer (armaments)
Wilhelm Kulz (security)
Otto Gessler (intelligence)

Zentrum: catholic party, represents a broad range of political views from christian trade unionists to monarchists under a catholic banner, therefore each minister has their own ideology. The majority are market liberal as they can serve in the broadest range of governments.
Wilhelm Marx (state, security) Market Liberal
Joseph Wirth (government, armament, foreign, security) Market Liberal
Heinrich Held (armament, security,intelligence) Social Conservative
Heinrich Bruning (armament, foreign) Social Conservative
Adam Stegerwald (security) Social Liberal
Franz von Papen (security, foreign) Paternal Autocrat

DVP: German people's party, centre-right liberal party, represented by social conservative ideology
Julius Curtius (foreign, armament)
Karl Jarres (security)

DNVP: german national people's party, right-wing nationalist party, represented by social conservative and paternal autocrat ideology
Alfred Hugenberg (armament, government, security)
Oskar von Hindenburg (state)
Kurt von Schleicher (intelligence, cheif of staff)

Nazis: when the nazis are elected a coaliton government with DNVP is formed and all nazi events and decisions become available.

Here is a few screenshots:
1933 Election
http://img4web.com/view/HKQTYC
New Historical events
http://img4web.com/view/HT2F74
Old Historical events still combatible
http://img4web.com/view/S7QYDQ
Elections up to 1964
http://img4web.com/view/NW7EZJ
New Ministers
http://img4web.com/view/XUBL8R
A new WW2 between USSR and Allies
http://img4web.com/view/DZ3XRY
Will Communism conquer Europe or will democracy prevail?
http://img4web.com/view/UXK27X

Thanks to:
-NorwayBernd and Mexbuild for minister picture formating
-Tonie112, snoopyzero, Sarah-Tang, airpirate, ger, whatguts, Sakura_F, Nekronion, John Tzimisces, Knechtmetal and merce_AR for particularly useful feedback and suggestions that have been implemented!
-Alvar 13 for nominating this mod for mod of the month july 2012
-Mexbuild and AesirKnight for vital troubleshooting to make the mod v1.03b compatible
-And of course the whole community for endless feedback, suggestions and support!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• democratic germany edited.png
    democratic germany edited.png
    583,6 KB · Views: 988
Last edited:
A Democratic or Communist Germany Mod, download here! Combines "A Democratic Germany" with Faulty's "A Communist Germany".

Latest version includes V22 of Faulty's communist Germany mod

Please note: now compatible with v1.03 beta but only includes v22 of communist germany mod

Here is the link to download it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjxuy92dc0p2c43/aDGm.rar?m

before doing anything i would obviously recommend creating a back-up of the original files
Place the 4 events files (day of decision, USSR, death events and Germany.txt) in darkest hour a hoi game/Mods/Darkest Hour Full/db/events. Replace the ones that already exist.
place the minister_ger.csv file in darkest hour a hoi game/Mods/Darkest Hour Full/db/ministers.
the new minister(1) file contains pictures that must be put in darkest hour a hoi game/Mods/Darkest Hour Full/gfx/interface/pics

There are 4 picture files:
the counter_ger_imp file goes in darkest hour a hoi game/Mods/Darkest Hour Full/gfx/palette
the shield_ger_imp pic goes in darkest hour a hoi game/Mods/Darkest Hour Full/gfx/map/shields
the other two (flag_ger_imp and icon_ger_imp) both go in darkest hour a hoi game/Mods/Darkest Hour Full/gfx/map/flags

any problems with the democratic mod please post here!
Problems with the communist section, post in Faulty's thread: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?613550-Communist-Germany-mod

Last edited:
I'll breifly take you through some of the events....
October 1933, an imagined "treaty of strasbourg" in which you can fully accept the terms of versailles in return for a reduction in reparations or reject for lower dissent but worse relations with britian and france. If you accept, Germany will leave the axis, making a future alliance with the allies possible.

August 1934: Hindenburg's death
when hindenburg dies, hitler dosnt become head of state, instead their is a presidential election where you can elect a communist, spd, zentrum, dnvp or nazi candidate. electing communists or nazis will obviuosly take you down those roads with all relevant events and decisions.

1935: the coalition government collapses. you can either form a new government or call a general election. This is a good oppurtunity to take you through the general election events: you can elect nazis or communists with obvious results or you get the choice of 3 democratic options:
SPD led coalition: social liberal, contains minister from SPD, DDP and Zentrum
Zentrum led coalition: market liberal, contains ministers from Zentrum, SPD, DDP and DVP
DNVP led coalition: social conservative, contains ministers from DNVP, Zentrum and DVP

Thanks a lot!
On with the events!
In 1937 there is further reichstag elections. The options are the same but with different ministers. If the Nazis don't win, the Hitler forced out event is triggered. This is a hypothetical coup within the Nazi party in which they get rid of Hitler and goring becomes leader.

Then there is the double election year of 1941. The reichstag and presidential elections of this year is the last opportunity to elect the Nazis or communists as the economic recovery by then would have severely reduced their support.

In the early 40s there are several reforms, including the merger of the merger of the DVP and DDP to form the FDP and the creation of the CDU .
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Nice. Based on this democtratic germany there could be a interesting alternative timeline. E.g. what if Stalin decides to push for central europe in the '40s or what will USA do with Japan and so on... .

Really nice mod!
I also support Bodhisattvas comment, the soviet union cold attack eastern and central europe, or the balkan to unite the slavic union, so the panslavism could also appear and so on.:)
Really nice!:)

Nice mod!
You could have added the Hohenzollern family back to Germany and to restore the monarchy with a political party (Zentrum and DVP).
Really nice!

Great mod idea!
A couple of suggestions:
1. Keep 'return of Saar land' event for democratic Germany.
2. An Event for Fascist Italy and Democratic Germany to Join Allies (could form a Western European Union)
3. World War Two could be Allies verses Comitern, I don't think Democratic Germany would declare war on France and Britain
(Allies could launch Operation Unthinkable against USSR)

it068 thanks for the feedback!
to ansewer your questions:
1. saar event does still occur
2. anti-comintern pact and pact of steel are also still available so alliance with italy is possible
3. treaty of strasbourg event allows the possibilty for germany to join allies, so it is ww2 against comintern is also possible

i have unfortunatly come across a problem that i cant work out how to fix:
when trying to load a game as germany after the deomcratic germany event the following error occurs
error.jpg

any help would be much appriciated!

Most excellent. A democratic Germany would be interesting to see in-game, if you needed help with sorting out ministers and their pictures in the normal format, I'd actually been working on adding ministers for a dem germany for my own files, so I have a fair few pics etc.

Also for Intell you could include Ferdinand von Bredow, he was Abwehr chief before 1934 when he was killed in the Night of the Long Knives, he was a major ally of Schleicher.
Also for CoS in 1933 was Wilhelm Adam. And for a SL/SD leaning CoS/CoA you could have Hammertsienm-Equord, as he was known to be in a lot of talks with the unions about putting up a front against Hitler, and was known as the ;red General', must add, he was sympathetic to them as an ally, but probably not a lefty/communist!

I'd also imagine that some leaders (the SS ones), would not appear as a result of their being a democratic and not Nazi Germany.

Last edited:
Great mod idea, yayap! I highly appreciate this since the two originals options did not satisfy me at all. Keep on working pls! ;)

Your bug is in the ministers_ger file, line 299. This line:
286;Minister of Secruity;Adam Stegerwald;1921;1945;SL;Man of the People;High;100708;x
Replace Secruity with Security.

Cheers for this! Nice effort. This should replace the "Communist Germany" option from vanilla, as this is alot more probable (not to mention plausible).

However, I don't see a WW2 somewhere. Is there an event to launch a war between the allies and the comintern?