• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(63070)

First Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2006
Is a Panzer leader necessary in order to get the most out of a MEC unit?

Are MECs treated the same as ARM for "combined arms" bonus, when combined with MOTs?

As always, thanks for the help. Cheers!

Well MEC were considered as "hard" units and were the only ones with the ARM in this category, but in AoD the combined arm bonus is calculated on the divisional level and does not take this aspect in account at all. I'm not sure about Panzer leader trait though.

Is a Panzer leader necessary in order to get the most out of a MEC unit?

Yes, all Mechs get the same +5% for panzer leader as Arm and L.Arm. BTW: Mech are consider Armoured division in the spying menu.

Are MECs treated the same as ARM for "combined arms" bonus, when combined with MOTs?

Mechs are threated the same as all divisions. The combined arms bonus is calculated via the average softness of a Corps. The CA Modifier is 0.1 on offensive and 0.15 on defense.
CA-Bonus= CA-Mod x 4 x Softness x (1-Softness). So 50% Softness is perfect, Mech-HeavyArm is the best choice in terms of CA, but everything between 70% and 30% Softness is good.

The combined arms bonus is calculated via the average softness of a Corps.

I'm pretty sure they moved the CA bonus down to the divisional level in AoD, like it is in HoI3.

I know better. Afaik the formula was even published by one of the devs. But CA is also applied to a corps of one division only.

So is it still better in terms of combat effectiveness to have for example a 3 div Corps of 2 MOT+SP ART & 1 ARM+SP ART than a 3 div Corps of 3 ARM+SP ART?

2 Mot + 1 Arm is the classic combination and the combined arms bonos is very like to be higher than in case of just arm. Lets assume Model 1939 and SP-Art 1940:
[2x87%x(100%-6%)+1x30%x(100%-6%)]/3 = 63.92% Softness => 9.2249% combined arms bonus on offensive
[3x30%x(100%-6%)]/3 = 28.2% Softness => 8.09904% combined arms bonus on offensive

The difference is relativly small. Mech-SpArt and Mech-SpRocketArt are the units with the highest soft attacks after the CA-bonus. Mech-HA can be an alternative but i prefer the highest soft attack.