Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Low population?

Quote Originally Posted by dullahx View Post
    because it gets exploited easily, aka army of alts blocking claims/players
    This ^

We already have the army of alts blocking atm. Will get worse with invincible ones, atleast now you can make them return to boston

Crusader Kings IIRome Gold

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dullahx View Post
    because it gets exploited easily, aka army of alts blocking claims/players
    Is the world that small?
    Earth Invasion : Los Angeles

The Alien Invasion is here. Los Angeles is lost, unless a few good Paradoxians (and a bunch of Marines) throw them back in the ocean. Rules. Data. Map.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuckenschmidt View Post
    Is the world that small?
    no

Seems like the updates changed things, we'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuckenschmidt View Post
    Heretic idea: What about restrictibg PvP to those people, who joined a Clan? Those not interested in PvP stay solitary, get some disadvantages in developing their Characters, but can simply enjoy a crafting game. And if they change their mind, they can sign up for a Clan and cause havoc / get killed.
    That was my idea too, when I said that players without towns should be resisted to murder

yea, people shouldn't be complaining much now that the update has changed to benefit farmers and screw criminals as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by sefer View Post
    screw criminals as it should be.
    Lol it really shouldn't, stop being biased.

Helps us more then the farmers now that the farmers can't get into our bases which are prolly better set up.

Idk, if I have to compare to the guy who is likely going to run into multiple bases trying to raid them, getting hit by a 15 min criminal status, getting hit by defenses, and walls that soak more, compared to the guy who is likely going to just hide in his base... Ehhh... Yea, pretty sure it affects you guys more. lol.

Idk, if I have to compare to the guy who is likely going to run into multiple bases trying to raid them, getting hit by a 15 min criminal status, getting hit by defenses, and walls that soak more, compared to the guy who is likely going to just hide in his base... Ehhh... Yea, pretty sure it affects you guys more. lol.
    Are you currently testing the game atm?

I do get it... Its also hard for good guys to hunt you down, but this is a huge benefit to the people who are not trying to hunt you guys down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallane View Post
    Lol it really shouldn't, stop being biased.

Helps us more then the farmers now that the farmers can't get into our bases which are prolly better set up.
    A farmer has in general no interest in resorting to "unlawful" actions. You seem to assume that a farmer's main interest is to get revenge on those who attacked them, but that is not true. A farmer just wants to live in peace.

hahaha, thanks for that reply nao. Dallane was gonna try to defend his position by using the fact that im not part of the testing, but your reply validated my initial findings and as such, he can no longer try to use "your not a tester, so you don't know blah blah blah im a criminal" against me.

oh sigh......

you guys don't understand how this game is played so i'm stepping out. Going to stop posting outside the beta forums lol

hahaha, thanks for that reply nao. Dallane was gonna try to defend his position by using the fact that im not part of the testing, but your reply validated my initial findings and as such, he can no longer try to use "your not a tester, so you don't know blah blah blah im a criminal" against me.
    Defend my position that you are posting on game mechanics and are not even playing the game?

hey hey! No changing your mind. Off to beta forums to you!

General Demi Moderator
    Sword of the Stars

And this is why we have NDAs in betas, folks!

First rule of Beta: You don't talk about Beta!
    Second rule of Beta: You DON'T talk about Beta!

Quote Originally Posted by Dallane View Post
    oh sigh......

you guys don't understand how this game is played so i'm stepping out. Going to stop posting outside the beta forums lol
    Yeah - people who disagree with you either don't understand the game or get the obligatory "u mad, bro"? from you - Please..disappear to the Beta forums!

Anyways - The game is a fun experiment I find. I can understand why Seatribe doesn't want to talk about playerbase numbers, or reveal all of their plans just yet, but obviosly Paradox has faith in that the permadeath game model will retain enough people to be successful financially.

Honestly,I'd doubt it for all the reasons stated earlier in this thread (pvp with permadeath often attracts a small select but extremely agressive crowd) but it remains to be seen - The game is actually pretty fun right now as is!

Salem will overall never manage to get many players and will thus never succeed with it's current mechanics.

Combination of permadeath + time and effort it takes to train + casual players vs hardcore players + World of Warcraft Level 1 vs level 80 syndrome = good luck with finding anyone playing besides those that are very dedicated, don't mind starting from scratch over and over and have lots of time. This combination of course heavily favours those who have an "aggressive" style of play. In short, the current formula is way off (just like in Haven) and needs some serious rework without compromising the concept.

I'll probably end up getting a few flames here as well for being "wrong", but we'll see what the player numbers will say about the Salem formula on release

General Demi Moderator
    Sword of the Stars

Skyrage, don't read this as a flame or anything, but if I had a dime for every time some naysayer came around about how something new would fail, I'd be a rich man. Nobody is expecting to get rich off Salem, just make an honest living. (Well, I could be wrong about that... someone might be thinking they can get rich. I can't read minds.)

Skyrage. The current trend of mmo games is leaving fantasy, and treading towards hardcore, pvp, modern-day, and permadeath. (several permadeath mmos have been announced in the past year infact, 2 are believed to be big hits right from the start.) When I read about salem, I started watching it since last year, the people here would consider me as a "farmer". The reason why I chose to come to salem? Because I read it had perma death, open pvp, clues/scents and offline justice, and yet I am a farmer/merchant first, and combat later. Because all these other games have no real penalty system. Die 1million times, and big whoop. Then games instituted drop your items. Was a nice change of pace, but after a while, it was again: Big whoop?

Perma death? Hell yes, thats as extreme as it gets. I don't make alts, I NEVER make alts, I always stick with 1 character, in all games, no exception. So hearing the news that if I die, my character is forced to start off brand new except for the crap hes built? That makes me jump for joy. Instead of going along with nascar gameplay, (making another left turn... And another left turn....yay... -_-) the likely hood that I,ll make it to end game is low. Constant, CONSTANT danger, threat of dieing and having to restart, losing your skills you labored over... God how good it would feel. Sure dieing sucks, but if there is no bad in games, then whats the point? There is no thrill, no danger, npc's are nothing! And knowing all this it makes the rewards even more sweeter. Manage to kill your attacker? Hahahaha holy @#%* is that even better! You would feel like a god during those moments, instead of the usual, boring, crap your force fed by millions of clone games. (All new Pepsi Fantasy XIIIV: New character names!, New art!, Slightly changed gameplay!! Come get yours today!)

This game is going to rock hard, and I expect there will start being clones of these perma death games until all gamers will ever play are perma death games.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast