Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Low population?

If someone, for any reason, doesn't want to play I'd be happy to get the access

Quote Originally Posted by alioli View Post
    Your solution would render Hermits invincible, and me and my 4 buds would also be - our village is not officially a village yet, but we are 4 guys working together.

I as a hermit should not be safer than a town, thats retarded - I should be MORE vulnerable than the townpeople, since I am, but alone.
    You would be more vulnerable if you would not get town claim, any thief could stole all your goods easily, right?
    Without your goods you can still play and game will be fun for most new players and yet they will learn from that, one very important thing they need to find bigger and stronger group or town. If they join town all their 'safety-law' will gone, but I hope by that time they will know much more about Salem, perma-death and how to defend their characters and their goods.
    Is that retarded?

Quote Originally Posted by Dallane View Post
    I honestly am seeing more people in my area now then ever. Everyday there is someone looking around our base or trying to get into it. Following by a great hunt. Out foraging I find bases popping up everyday around us in all directions. Your idea was and is still stupid. That idea defeats the entire idea of permadeath. Give noobs a 1-2 hour baby blue eyes that rolls through the time they are logged off to not abuse body blocking. Problem solved now they can walk out of boston without me reading a stupid forum post later
    Noobs won't learn idea of Salem in 1-2 hour, they need few days for that and my idea doesn't disallow you from KO noob and destroying his leanto, so he have to find another spot, after he spawn in Boston again.

Where do you see here "defeats the entire idea of permadeath"?
    I am thinking about experienced and not experienced players and you talk only from position of someone who already know rules of Salem, think about people that just signed-in and don't know that 'tab-key' opens their inventory!!!
    That 'Law' I was writing about is for those people and I described rules that should prevent abusing this by experienced players 'they can be killed if they started a fight or enter other players claim', so again where is the problem any idea how to abuse this?

Your problem is 'no more noobs to kill, so this game is no more fun for me', so you calling me stupid, with is easy.
    Try to describe better solution for new players, preventing killing them by towns fighters after Salem-world will reach few months age

Quote Originally Posted by darnokpl View Post
    Noobs won't learn idea of Salem in 1-2 hour, they need few days for that and my idea doesn't disallow you from KO noob and destroying his leanto, so he have to find another spot, after he spawn in Boston again.

Where do you see here "defeats the entire idea of permadeath"?
    I am thinking about experienced and not experienced players and you talk only from position of someone who already know rules of Salem, think about people that just signed-in and don't know that 'tab-key' opens their inventory!!!
    That 'Law' I was writing about is for those people and I described rules that should prevent abusing this by experienced players 'they can be killed if they started a fight or enter other players claim', so again where is the problem any idea how to abuse this?

Your problem is 'no more noobs to kill, so this game is no more fun for me', so you calling me stupid, with is easy.
    Try to describe better solution for new players, preventing killing them by towns fighters after Salem-world will reach few months age
    Another solution for the new player experience is to have a small area outside the old world port where people can wander and forage a bit in a safe environment. Limits to what you can do and, perhaps, a play-time limit would lead people to sail to Boston eventually after getting familiar with the game mechanics. This could also be the basis for interactive tutorials for things like combat; another idea would be to allow advanced players to pop in to the area to answer questions.

Second Lieutenant

@darnokpl: i think this is pointless. I tried it myself, but they won`t listen to you. You are about to make their play-style and all they have worthless by taking them the possibility to get new players frustrated. So they won`t agree with you how good your argument might be. They are going to insult you because they transfer there rough play style into reality. So there is no point for you or me in bringing a game forward for them.

But: time will solve this problem. Paradox will have to make the decision to make a game with many players or not. If they won`t change pvp/permadeath/balancing they won`t get a large player base because atm a small group of players has fun for the cost of much more players. So player base will be more and more exclusive and on the end those pvp-players will be alone. That`s may be okay for those, but i can`t see how the business model of salem will work in an environment like this. If paradox wants a devoted but small player base, then Salem is fine as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ElCapitan1701 View Post
    @darnokpl: i think this is pointless. I tried it myself, but they won`t listen to you. You are about to make their play-style and all they have worthless by taking them the possibility to get new players frustrated. So they won`t agree with you how good your argument might be. They are going to insult you because they transfer there rough play style into reality. So there is no point for you or me in bringing a game forward for them.

But: time will solve this problem. Paradox will have to make the decision to make a game with many players or not. If they won`t change pvp/permadeath/balancing they won`t get a large player base because atm a small group of players has fun for the cost of much more players. So player base will be more and more exclusive and on the end those pvp-players will be alone. That`s may be okay for those, but i can`t see how the business model of salem will work in an environment like this. If paradox wants a devoted but small player base, then Salem is fine as it is.
    I know, but I liked HnH and now I am addicted on Salem.
    Those pvp-players are very silly if they can't see that history with hnh abandoned by it's creators will repeat it self, if Salem won't be more new players friendly. That of course doesn't means that their aggressive play style have to change and game have to be less fun for them.
    All I am writing about is to balance game, that will allow new players to learn more about game and not get killed by players playing HnH for years now.

I think this is very simple to understand that low level players should be protected by game, not by theirs knowledge, because newbies doesn't have any.
    More advanced players (in my idea towns citizens) can fight and kill each other, when they like and how they like. They have support of their community, so they learn faster, getting better items, stats they can fight and die for their towns, high purity spots or whatever they like and that is fun, because IMHO they (players from different towns) got equal chances to win, but 'common noob' who just picked 20 silver and ported somewhere have zero chances to even run from fight.
    Town citizen even when dies can again rejoin his community and develop his character faster, thanks to his friends.
    I think that should be enforced in Salem not killing new players, who just need 2 days to learn how to kill a deer, and maybe that new players will stay in Salem for very long time, but I am 100% sure that they will run if they will be killed on sight by every bigger towns person.

Natalia Poklonskaya fanboy Stuckenschmidt's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIRome Gold

Blog Entries
    I`m not in the Beta, but I do get the feeling, that this game is some kind of EVE Online with severely reduced HighSec and a (Hardcore Grind) crafting part. Correct?
    Earth Invasion : Los Angeles

The Alien Invasion is here. Los Angeles is lost, unless a few good Paradoxians (and a bunch of Marines) throw them back in the ocean. Rules. Data. Map.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorke View Post
    Another solution for the new player experience is to have a small area outside the old world port where people can wander and forage a bit in a safe environment. Limits to what you can do and, perhaps, a play-time limit would lead people to sail to Boston eventually after getting familiar with the game mechanics. This could also be the basis for interactive tutorials for things like combat; another idea would be to allow advanced players to pop in to the area to answer questions.
    So why make two different areas?
    Just don't allow to kill new players for few days and let them wander near Boston 'the safe zone', suggest to make it bigger than just town claim. If they get close to safe zone border just display warning that they shaaall not pass till their play-time will be long enough

In safe zone you also shouldn't be able to rise your skills and stats above some value (20-25 with current skills requirements should be fine?), to prevent creating immortal murderers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuckenschmidt View Post
    I`m not in the Beta, but I do get the feeling, that this game is some kind of EVE Online with severely reduced HighSec and a (Hardcore Grind) crafting part. Correct?
    Yes, in Salem we have Nullsec only, your character can be killed and can not reincarnate in clone

Don't know how many EVE players we have here :/.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by naosnule View Post
    Don't know how many EVE players we have here :/.
    I think someone from NullSec will love it here. Unfortunately I`m from the Carebear-faction (Researching, Mining, Producing), so Open PvP / Permadeath is not for me. Kind of sad, since the setting is interesting.

The Alien Invasion is here. Los Angeles is lost, unless a few good Paradoxians (and a bunch of Marines) throw them back in the ocean. Rules. Data. Map.

I think someone from NullSec will love it here. Unfortunately I`m from the Carebear-faction (Researching, Mining, Producing), so Open PvP / Permadeath is not for me. Kind of sad, since the setting is interesting.
    Think even you would be able to appriciate if the game was designed so that your home was far more protected than it is now. So that leaving your home would be potentially be very dangerous but still required for you to progress and you would have to weight the risk against the benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by naosnule View Post
    Think even you would be able to appriciate if the game was designed so that your home was far more protected than it is now. So that leaving your home would be potentially be very dangerous but still required for you to progress and you would have to weight the risk against the benefits.
    Yes, but right now walls can be destroyed in few minutes and you have to spend hours to make them, aggressors are favored and hard working defenders and crafters are just guys who may die, rage quit and nobody cares

Yes, but right now walls can be destroyed in few minutes and you have to spend hours to make them, aggressors are favored and hard working defenders and crafters are just guys who may die, rage quit and nobody cares
    I dunno how it takes you few hours to make a wall.

So why make two different areas?
    Just don't allow to kill new players for few days and let them wander near Boston 'the safe zone', suggest to make it bigger than just town claim. If they get close to safe zone border just display warning that they shaaall not pass till their play-time will be long enough

In safe zone you also shouldn't be able to rise your skills and stats above some value (20-25 with current skills requirements should be fine?), to prevent creating immortal murderers.
    The reason is to avoid making the safe zone a part of play for older characters. This really limits it to a new-player learning area (dealing with the issues of players who don't know the game being subjected to attacks) while not changing the dynamics of the game for characters who have taken the ship to Boston (other than newly arrived characters having a few skills).

I am not even sure safe players should be able to raise their humours at all, or much above 6 or 7 (to learn how gluttony works) and I would limit ability stats (e.g., Hunting and Gathering) to something like 7 as well (to learn how studying works). Judicious control of available study items can limit which skills can be learned.

The reason is to avoid making the safe zone a part of play for older characters. This really limits it to a new-player learning area (dealing with the issues of players who don't know the game being subjected to attacks) while not changing the dynamics of the game for characters who have taken the ship to Boston (other than newly arrived characters having a few skills).

I am not even sure safe players should be able to raise their humours at all, or much above 6 or 7 (to learn how gluttony works) and I would limit ability stats (e.g., Hunting and Gathering) to something like 7 as well (to learn how studying works). Judicious control of available study items can limit which skills can be learned.
    Only 7, you need 8 to cut trees:O

Only 7, you need 8 to cut trees:O
    8 I could live with if cutting trees is a survivial skill for new players. My purpose was to keep this a learning area and not a safe place to fully develop your character before venturing forth.

8 I could live with if cutting trees is a survivial skill for new players. My purpose was to keep this a learning area and not a safe place to fully develop your character before venturing forth.
    This Idea I enjoy, turn off pvp, and make the boston area much larger, maybe that first huge island-ish area that you start in. When inside that area, you have a protection debuff, that prevents you from raising stats above 8, and has a very limited stock of items, grass stones, basic crickets, berries and basic mushrooms, but none of the complex items. and possibly turn the regeneration rate up really high for items. this area would not include boston of course, and traveling through this area would not lower your stats, but being in this area will prevent you from raising your stats and higher, and would also prevent pvp. an area for players to learn the game, but to truly progress they would have to leave. and just for good measure, the area around this one, should have a decent sized buffer, where nothing can possibly spawn. to prevent towns from building on the edge of it or near it, just a thought though.

Blog Entries
    Heretic idea: What about restrictibg PvP to those people, who joined a Clan? Those not interested in PvP stay solitary, get some disadvantages in developing their Characters, but can simply enjoy a crafting game. And if they change their mind, they can sign up for a Clan and cause havoc / get killed.

Second Lieutenant

Heretic idea: What about restrictibg PvP to those people, who joined a Clan? Those not interested in PvP stay solitary, get some disadvantages in developing their Characters, but can simply enjoy a crafting game. And if they change their mind, they can sign up for a Clan and cause havoc / get killed.
    because it gets exploited easily, aka army of alts blocking claims/players

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast