+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ottoman Empire

Ottoman Empire

I've been trying to start a game as the Ottoman Empire and make it at least manageable but seem to be having some trouble.

I've only been able to build one factory which has made achieving a stable budget nearly impossible. I had some success with conquering cores back from Egypt but for the most part I can't seem to grow economically at all because I can't afford to build factories.

Any suggestions?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

The economy will take a while to rebuild...in my OE game, I broke the infamy limit and conquered Austrian states: they'll increase your literacy and industrialisation

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    MagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IVCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods

How the F did you conquer Austria as Ottomans? Who did you ally with to make that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorlaan View Post
    How the F did you conquer Austria as Ottomans? Who did you ally with to make that possible?
    Prussia, Russia or France maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by rmax92 View Post
    Prussia, Russia or France maybe?
    Wallachia and Maldovia are the only allies you will ever need, going to break infamy limit when i reach 300 brigades

Commander: Conquest of the Americas

Blog Entries
    When you start the game, your #1 move shouldn't be to build a factory, because at your tech level and with your terrible efficiency such a factory is doomed in competition with artisans. First get your admin. efficiency higher up to cut the cost of your government, and then put all you have into Clergy to boost your literacy and maybe one day catch up with the west.

While at that, conquer Egypt (before they get friendly with the Brits and the French) starting with the parts that aren't your core (so you can get the infamy burner working earlier). If Germans want to ally with you, go for it. And good luck against Russia.
    “Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by Jorlaan View Post
    I colonised Africa to get lots of troops, and waited until they were in a war with someone else(I think)

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    When you start the game, your #1 move shouldn't be to build a factory, because at your tech level and with your terrible efficiency such a factory is doomed in competition with artisans. First get your admin. efficiency higher up to cut the cost of your government, and then put all you have into Clergy to boost your literacy and maybe one day catch up with the west.

While at that, conquer Egypt (before they get friendly with the Brits and the French) starting with the parts that aren't your core (so you can get the infamy burner working earlier). If Germans want to ally with you, go for it. And good luck against Russia.
    Which techs help admin efficiency again? I always want to invest in factory tech or railroads but perhaps that's no the best thing to start with?

You can't. Unless you annex a lot of European countries you won't be able to catch up with the "major" industry powers.

Blog Entries
    You must be kidding me. I just have.
    “Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by IceV View Post
    Which techs help admin efficiency again? I always want to invest in factory tech or railroads but perhaps that's no the best thing to start with?
    Commerce techs, second column.
    Last edited by Shiggs713; 06-05-2012 at 01:32.

You must be kidding me. I just have.
    How many craftmans do you have (year)?

Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireKing Arthur II
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesV2 AHD BetaPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Disbanding your starting navy helps balance the books early on. Also be opportunistic when Austria is at war with Prussia, Russia or France

Hmm, it's quite difficult to start as the OE for me. Maybe I'm still just not read for such a task

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggix
    How many craftmans do you have (year)?
    If I remembered. Something like 4-6 mil at the very end.

Quote Originally Posted by tului View Post
    Disbanding your starting navy helps balance the books early on. Also be opportunistic when Austria is at war with Prussia, Russia or France
    There's no point in disbanding the starting navy. You can always turn Clippers/Artillery to manual in the trade screen, and still keep them for transportation and blockade in your thousand small wars against Egypt and Arabic countries. I'd rather build some extra Clippers to easier move bigger armies along the Egyptian coast to avoid attrition.

Hmm, it's quite difficult to start as the OE for me. Maybe I'm still just not read for such a task
    What's the problem exactly. Make friends with Russia (200 relations + alliance kind of friends), beat Egypt to the point of full annexation, research Biologism and all the colonial techs, colonize Africa while your people learn to read, and when the colonization is done go for full clerks or full craftsmen focus for the rest of the game. In Vicky2 the real limit is the population, if you start modern but without people (Sweden, Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal) you will always land much worse than if you started outdated but with a big population (Persia, Japan, Ottos, Egypt). In the end, the score is about the number of people working in factories and number of people serving in the army.

So I ought ot promote clerks and craftsmen? (I'm assuming the clerks for admin and literacy purposes?)

Blog Entries
    There are two schools here, one tells to promote clerks directly, another tells to promote craftsmen and then hope that high literacy will promote enough clerks out of them. I dare say the end result is comparable. I typically promote craftsmen when I am one of the highest populated countries, and i promote clerks when i'm not. Both routes seem to work just fine with the ottos.

Wierd, in my current game as 2 Sicilies the Ottomans and Russia are allied and the OE attacks me every 5-6 years for Libya back and Russia joins in on me then too. My only saving grace is I've got France as an ally and I've got alliances with most of the Italian minors (fighting with Austria and France for influence there in an attempt to diplomatically form Italy some day). Point is in my game the OE and Russia are friends and allies, perfectly willing to go to war for each other.

So I ought ot promote clerks and craftsmen? (I'm assuming the clerks for admin and literacy purposes?)
    Right. Clergy for literacy and Clerks for Literacy and Research points IIRC, and of course craftsmen to work in your factories. Theres a sweet spot for Clergy (2% of your population) and Clerks (4% of your population), much like how the first game had a 3:2 ratio for crafstman to clerks in your factories to get optimal performance/efficiency.

I believe you can get a tooltip help option telling you what the sweet spot is, go to your population screen and make sure you're selecting your whole nation and hover over clerks to see what percentage is the optimal.

You can also hover over your research points and see the breakdown of how many research points your clergy and clerks are providing you each day and how they are affecting your literacy level.
    Don't worry, be happy
    - Bobby McFerrin

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

Covert Mastermind Demi Moderator Secret Master's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Maggix View Post
    You can't. Unless you annex a lot of European countries you won't be able to catch up with the "major" industry powers.
    Not true.

Sure, I'm not #1 in IND, but give me a break. Germany and I lost the 1st Great War in 1896 because of German incompetence. I was 75% occupied and had to build back up from economic collapse.

Just for bragging rights, I sphered Austria when they lost GP status and became the second Sick Man of Europe (after Germany, the original Sick Man of Europe).
    All Hail Him,

The Secret Master

Note: If I write a post in this hideous color, I am speaking as a Demi-Moderator. Paying attention is strongly advised.

Blog Entries
    You could tag to that Germany to surf on a fascist jingo wave... :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast