• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KingFred

Second Lieutenant
70 Badges
Feb 19, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Leviathan: Warships
Alright, two-part question:

1) If you make someone your puppet, what does it do? I made the mistake of releasing Bohemia in a war with Austria early in the game (playing as Prussia/NGF/GE), and they've now become Czechoslovakia (I have since formed Grossdeutschland). Taking them apart one state at a time is killing me, as I am riding the fine line of the infamy limit, plus having to wait 5 years for the truce to wear off between wars. Wondering what would happen if I just puppetted them.

2) When releasing nations, what's the difference between releasing one as a Satellite vs. releasing one as a Dominion? Just curious. Contemplating releasing some of those easternmost countries in what used to be Austria, and using them as a buffer/convenient surrogate to cut into Russia a bit.

I have never really worked out what the difference is with about Dominion.

As for puppeting:

1) I believe it makes them your default ally (even if you have terrible relations with them, they will agree to alliances and such).

2) No one can declare war on them, or get military access from them, meaning that if you want a buffer state between say you and Germany (or Russia), they do that job well.

3) I believe you get them in your sphere of influence by default (although quite often other GBs will try to take them from your sphere). At least, you do when releasing them; not sure if if also works that war with the wargoal method of making vassals.

4) They can't declare war on anyone.

Otherwise, no idea of the uses of vassalising a nation.

3) I believe you get them in your sphere of influence by default (although quite often other GBs will try to take them from your sphere). At least, you do when releasing them; not sure if if also works that war with the wargoal method of making vassals.
No, they do not start out in your SoI, you gotta get them into it yourself. However, some funny things can happen. As USA, I once released California as a satellite, but they instantly petitioned for statehood.

No, they do not start out in your SoI, you gotta get them into it yourself. However, some funny things can happen. As USA, I once released California as a satellite, but they instantly petitioned for statehood.

When releasing them, they do. At least, they do in Vanilla. You have AHD I notice, so possibly it is different?