• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JoIsChuck

(ErrantPilot34)
8 Badges
Jul 5, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
So yea, just got Victoria II a few days ago having a blast, but I wanted to play as my home state; Texas...

I start the game to learn that it is actually impossible to win the Independence War due to the fact The US will NOT declare war on Mexico because...well this...

At the beginning Mexico (within the first game month) makes a military alliance with the US, Texas cannot make an alliance with the US not even before Mexico creates their for the US replies 'Impossible'...

So...am I doing something wrong? Any tips? I wanna play as my home state...

(I've noticed in all other games I've played that Texas looses 100% of the time...and I believe America never helps the AI Texas either...)

might depend on whether your patched or have the expansion, but seems like you got unlucky.

Just don't add any wargoals or the USA can't join, same if they are allied, but all you need to do is get sphered, and they should join. So maybe try starting over and improving diplomacy as that will advance their effort in getting you in their sphere, if the AI is competent enough to do that. Maybe they won't ally, honestly that is totally weird for me playing AHD latest patch usually Mexico and USA are mortal enemies, and Mexico won't even ally when they are sphered and relations at 200 for me playing as the USA.

I'm patched up to the latest things...And have all expansions/dlcs released for it (thank god for Gamestop...)

I don't add wargoals...I get sphered and when I ask for a military alliance they say 'Impossible'...I improve relations as soon as I start, get sphered but they don't attack Mexico because Mexico is already allied with the US by the first week of the game or so... I'll go start it up and like save a pic of it or something...

v22fj.jpg

You can see here it's the 30th and the game said that the alliance was formed on the 22nd...

v23u.jpg

You can see here that the same day in the diplomacy I'm not in the US sphere yet Mexico and the US are allied...

This has been something I've noticed too. I started playing the demo, which forces you to play as the U.S., and right away Texas would offer alliance. I'd accept, and then fairly quickly they would request aid in the war. After getting the full game, along with AHD, it took me some time to figure out how to intervene in the war, but it seemed to work fine after that - however, I noticed that in every game I've played where I wasn't the U.S. (most of them, so maybe 8 or so?), the U.S. usually allies with Mexico and hasn't intervened in the war ever. At first I thought it was random, but it does seem to keep happening. Still could be just a fluke, but I wonder if it's something that other people have noticed in the recent patches?

AI always tries to ally it's nearest neighbors during the initial stages of the game if they don't have conflicts. And normally, they don't, no cores and such. That's why Mexico-USA is highly possible and so is France-Prussia-Austria.
You have to get your alliances on day one, before unpausing, if you don't want to be late for party.

AI always tries to ally it's nearest neighbors during the initial stages of the game if they don't have conflicts. And normally, they don't, no cores and such. That's why Mexico-USA is highly possible and so is France-Prussia-Austria.
You have to get your alliances on day one, before unpausing, if you don't want to be late for party.

This is very important - I didn't realize this in my first game as Prussia and ended up sandwiched between a gargantuan France/Austria/Russia alliance block after forming the NGF. Second try, I allied France and Russia and things went much more smoothly.

Yes...i've got so many games when i was defeated by the USA in my conquest of Texas (As Mexico of course) after knowing that fact. After that, if i want a good fun game a first get an alliance with GB and destroy the USA in the subsecuent war...or take the more stable road and make an alliance with USA and build an empire fast, because after they discover "Manifest Destiny" then if i'm not allied with some other good GP (like Austria or Prussia/NGF or France or Russia) i'm doomed...

Well the good news is I finally won independence...

I stayed put in Austin until they took all the area around it, then I simply took to occupying the areas they were not currently in...about 1839 the US agreed to be in an Alliance and to help me in the war...

I dunno if it will work in 2.31 AHD, since I only tried it in the vanilla game before buying the expansion, but if you keep your army right next to the Mexican forces, they'll generally stay put and be too afraid to attack you (largely because of Sam Houston's defense stats, I think). Last time I played Texas I moved to Laredo as quickly as possible, then began moving around the stationary Mexican army and occupying their provinces. Eventually I was able to get peace with them and force 'em to give up the two Texan cores that they start with.

The Mexicans grouped their entire army into a super-stack that game, but still wouldn't attack me; if they had either attacked or split their army up to siege my lands, I think I'd probably have been screwed.

The US didn't directly aid Texas in the war historically. However, Mexico is far too powerful in 1836 compared to IRL.

Historically Mexico was much more powerful than Texas. The problem is the Texans won when Santa Ana was captured.That cannot happen in game. I have noticed in my game though that the Mexicans will not attack Sam Houston.

Historically Mexico was much more powerful than Texas. The problem is the Texans won when Santa Ana was captured.That cannot happen in game. I have noticed in my game though that the Mexicans will not attack Sam Houston.
Mexico was in the middle of a civil war though, that's not my definition of powerful. Sure, they could muster more troops, but in the field they suffered from rampant desertion and logistics difficulty. Texas defeated the largest army Mexico was able to bring to bear on them at the time, and secured their independence. It should not be a simple steamroll for Mexico the way it currently is.

Mexico was in the middle of a civil war though, that's not my definition of powerful. Sure, they could muster more troops, but in the field they suffered from rampant desertion and logistics difficulty. Texas defeated the largest army Mexico was able to bring to bear on them at the time, and secured their independence. It should not be a simple steamroll for Mexico the way it currently is.

Yea the game really cannot simulate that except maybe with rebels. I mean, if as a player you use Sam Houston properly you can whittle away each of Mexico's 15k stacks. The AI however has no hope because it cannot play defensively.

Yea the game really cannot simulate that except maybe with rebels. I mean, if as a player you use Sam Houston properly you can whittle away each of Mexico's 15k stacks. The AI however has no hope because it cannot play defensively.

Wait, doesn't Mexico start with just 9 brigades?

And has Houston ever died for any of you guys?

Wait, doesn't Mexico start with just 9 brigades?

And has Houston ever died for any of you guys?

1) Probably but they will build a 10th by the end of the war.
2) I have never had Houston die before 1840. If he does though, just quit and restart because Santa Ana will come full force and without that +6 defense you cant stop him.

when I am prussia I find the best ally is actually Russia because you will have to go to war with france eventually and you might go to war with austria

I think 24,000 men out of those 27,000 are irregulars, that can be beaten fairly easily if the Texans are on the defense. Secondly, Wikipedia says the Mexican forces were around 6,500 and the Texans had some 2,000 men. That's three times the men the Texans had. The problem IRL was that Santa Anna, the Mexican President at that time was captured by a Texan patrol when he was bathing or drinking (can't remember properly) in a river. He wasn't by any means an excellent president, and when he found himself prisoner, he decided to sign a peace treaty; mainly with the objective of being set free.

There were two other seccessionist movements apart from the Texan one. These two were somewhat successful in the beginning, forming the Republic of Riogrande and the Republic of Yucatan. However, they were short lived.

That's because Sam Houston has a defense of 6, with it that high no matter where you are (as long as organization/numbers are full) the mexican army will loose if they attack.