+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ranged Weapons / Infinite ammo

Ranged Weapons / Infinite ammo

In the WTF preview it is noted that the ammo respawns after a while for the ranged classes, and personally I don't like that.
    But maybe it's just a pre alpha thing ?

Oh also I really liked the damage for the crossbow in the video though :3
    Does anyone else think that Ranged units should be the counter for heavy armor like in real life ie. Agincourt?

I don't want archers to dominate this game to be honest. In Warband I despise archers for their lame tactics and would never play one ^^

Also infinite ammo is a real bad thing!

God of War and Thunder Demi Moderator Baynard's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club

Blog Entries
    I REALLY hope that the re-spawning arrows/bolts are taken out - that would be bad in so many ways.
    A.K.A. Hugues

Find me on:I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    ― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

Depends on the game mode and how it is handled in my opinion;
    • In a game mode with respawns such as TDM then ammo should be replenished, (it would be much better if the player had to go to a resupply point to prevent archer camping - perhaps one that kept changing it's position on the map)
    • In a single life game mode then ammo should be depletable

Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses

It would probably be best if ammo could be take off dead bodies that carried ranged weapons.

Almost or completely out of arrows? Go kill that archer over there and kill him to get more. If he's got a crossbow and you didn't notice, well, bad luck. Stab 'em with your sword some more!

I could imagine key locations that would give ammo if you captured them, though. As bonus for the defender or something.
    - What can change the nature of a man?

Respawning ammo is a bad idea in ANY game.
    Unless its some sort of single player RPG.
    In a game like this, there is just no way.
    Are you imagining what siege is going to be like? Infinite arrows..
    >.>
    really, Fatshark?
    Check out my Archery suggestion - http://alturl.com/o52iz
    And my gaming channel - http://alturl.com/tyfoq

But if collecting arrows meant you had to give up your OP position and go through a 2 minute gauntlet to get there...

Like I said in my previous reply I can only see it working in a game mode with respawns, and I think it's important that the player has to make the effort to collect more ammo or a new shield etc.

DungeonlandMount & Blade: Warband

agreed, having infinite ammo encourages camping, I think picking up off the ground is fine, it encourages archers to think about what they are doing, you want top avoid melee so you are likely to be more conservative with your ammo

Archers should be powerful, and there is nothing wrong with standing still i think, but i don't think that arrows should respawn in any case it's just silly, doesn't matter the game mode. Archers should get good with their weapon like any other class not just spam missiles in a direction.

I am hoping that the regenerating stuff is a convenient alpha testing feature... IE if you wanted to balance weapon breaks and ammo counts, you probably play a regular game and see how long it takes to run out...and leave the quiver empty long enough for whatever situation you were in to play out...then have the game give you back the arrows to try it again or try something different without having to quit out.

In my head that is what it is anyway

Achtung PanzerHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandGettysburgHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IILead and GoldLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaMajesty 2Semper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

I like the respawning arrows and bolts idea so far.
    From what Ive seen, you had only about 10 or 12 arrows, which means that you could take a few shots, but not saturate the area with a hail of arrows. Now you could put down some decent "covering fire" with the amount of arrows you got, but you would also need to conserve your ammunition somewhat for when it matters. The respawning ammunition thing basically makes it so that there won't be a situation where archers just shoot all their arrows as fast as possible (lets say they start with 30 or 45), then take a dive or pick a fight to respawn quickly to start it all over again.

It is not realistic, but it might be a gamey workaround to force the players to behave more like in medieval times. Players need some limitations and cannot always shout "unrealistic" at these things instantly. Comparing to Red Orchestra 1, which used unrealistic weapon recoil behavior and movement systems and still got the atmosphere pretty right.

I'd like to see supply wagons or something, that way you'd have to be sparing with your ammunition as an archer lest risk a long walk to the wagon. As opposed to sitting on a hill spitting out an infinite stream of arrows.

God of War and Thunder Demi Moderator Baynard's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherDoma View Post
    I'd like to see supply wagons or something, that way you'd have to be sparing with your ammunition as an archer lest risk a long walk to the wagon. As opposed to sitting on a hill spitting out an infinite stream of arrows.
    That could work, maybe expand abit on that point.
    A.K.A. Hugues

Find me on:I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    ― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

Yeh that's pretty much the point I was getting at with my last two posts.

Oh snap, yeah. Guess I'm just adding my voice to yours ^^ Great minds think alike amirite?

Oh snap, yeah. Guess I'm just adding my voice to yours ^^ Great minds think alike amirite?
    Aye.

i really like the supply train idea, maybe a resupply area at each teams "base" that could also be used by the other team in the "conquest" like game mode, just so defenders dont have such a huge advantage while defending there base. maybe also a VERY low chance of picking up ammo off dead bodies, such as maybe 25% chance?

I dont mind Mount and Blade's way of doing things, I often ran out of 30 arrows, however i could swap a weapon to get 60 arrows instead

While historically archers could carry even more that 60
    I really hope this time they go for gameplay that historical accuracy and reduce arrows to a more archerspamfestless number

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireSemper FiMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

That's how many you should have

One perk might be carrying a second quiver at the expense of mobility.

Balance the game around an historic core, that's always been the best balance of realism and gameplay IMHO. Give people historic weaponry, then figure out how to balance them to best suit gameplay. In this case a limited supply of ammunition (with the possible exception of sieges) should be coupled to a high damage potential. Increasing the reliance on skill will only help the gameplay.
    "There are no limits to what science can explore."

-Ernest Solvay, Belgian Chemist

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast