+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Horde/Russian Culture Shifting doesn't occur

Horde/Russian Culture Shifting doesn't occur

I have been playing a Muscovy/Russia game for a while now, and have gotten to the 1550s. I conquered the Blue Horde and Sibir over a century ago, have decimated the White Horde, westernized and am now fighting the Dorvn Oord and Khalka. I have cores on many of the Tartar culture lands. There has yet to be a single culture shift from any of the Tartar group territories, however. This is really annoying, since it means that half of my country is prone to revolt, even at +3 stability. Has this been changed? another side effect of this is that I am able to release the Blue Horde as a vassal more than a century after they were wiped out.

Looking at the game files I noticed that the 0910101 - Russian flavor file has 2 events called 'Russian expansion of the steppes,' but they are both commented out. Is this intentional?

Are the Tartar provinces cores? Also, is Tartar an accepted culture? East Slavic cultures still have a bonus for assimilating the steppes, but cultural assimilation only occurs in provinces with less than 1 revolt risk, so if the culture isn't accepted then you'll need to station troops in any province you want to assimilate.
    Last edited by Hedgepig; 03-05-2012 at 14:09.

Yes, many of the Tartar group(Kazani, Astrakhani, Crimean, Siberian, Khazakh, etc.) regions are cored and have been for many years. No, none of them are accepted cultures(nor are they likely to ever be), since there are so many small cultures within the group with lots of low population regions relative to the East Slavic cultures. Even with troops stationed in cored regions bordering on Muscovite culture, I have yet to have a single region shift.

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    83 games registered

200k clubEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    By event, you'll need to have the province converted to your religion. But the vent also requires a neighbouring province to be of the owner's culture. changing it to the owner's culture group, for now.

Otherwise, you should have the Ressetlement Policy decision... don't you ?
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

My Russia is almost entirely Orthodox and has been for 100 years in the Crimea/Caucasus region, and still nothing. Several Pomor and Novgorodian provinces changed to Muscovite, but none of the Tartar group. Mordoviya, Ulianovsk, Kazan all border Muscovite provinces from the start, and none of them have shifted. There is the 'Favor Resettlement' province decision, but the problem I have there is that it has some pretty strong negatives attached to it(-5% colony growth and -.2 magistrates per year for each province that has the modifier) and it requires national focus. Also, how long the modifier will be active is not clear, so it is hard to guage the actual cost. That makes it a huge commitment to make for something that 'should' be happening spontaneously. Maybe there could be some national level decision that could have a similar result?

83 games registered

200k clubEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Why should it be spontannously happening ? Historically, culture shifted because the rulers encouraged russians to settle in the Steppes.

Anyways, i'll be checking the event.
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by gigau View Post
    Why should it be spontannously happening ? Historically, culture shifted because the rulers encouraged russians to settle in the Steppes.

Anyways, i'll be checking the event.
    Well, this is a bit complicated, as the Russian conquest of the horde lands was less a traditional conquest of one culture imposing its rule over an existing people, and more one lifestyle replacing another. Ethnic Russians were actively encouraged to settle the Horde's former territories (through modern times), but the culture(lifestyle) of the indigenous population changed significantly too... The proposition of a horde being reestablished after a century or more of Russian control seems unlikely (particularly in the Blue Horde territory - an argument could be made that populations in the eastern steppes retain a nomadic lifestyle even today).

Perhaps a good option would be to treat some of the western Altaic cultures where the Horde were every bit the conquerors the Russians became(Crimean, Kazani, Astrakhani, Siberian) in the same way that Burgundian is and allowing them to switch from the Altaic group to the East Slavic group if they are controlled by an East Slavic nation for an extended period. That would reflect the shift from Nomadic culture to a more 'civilized' agrarian culture without assuming total ethnic assimilation.
    Last edited by Count deMonet; 06-05-2012 at 05:10.

83 games registered

Blog Entries
    Triggers to get the random culture assimilation :
    - province has to be core
    - revolt risk should be under 1% (will temporarly be removed)
    - be of nations religion
    - not be of owner's culture
    - must neighbour a province of owner's religion and culture group

For an East Slavic nation and a Tarttar group province, it should take an average of 25 years.
    •

+ Reply to Thread