• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(364820)

First Lieutenant
8 Badges
Aug 15, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • March of the Eagles
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Pillars of Eternity
I understand IC and Leadership grow as you build your empire. Is it possible to achieve 300 in production or 40 or 50 in leadership? Obviously this varies depending upon what faction you're playing and what part of the world you're growing into.

Another factor, effecting production, would be the availability of energy, metals, and rare materials. Spending 300 IC per day would require a 150 per day increase in rare materials just to maintain current levels. Still has anyone achieved these levels? How far advanced in the game do you have to be?

Just curious, and I know every game will be different.

Only over 500? Bah, AI USA once pushed 700 Base IC with me, 1300 after enacting better laws...
And I'd thought my nice 700 IC empire as Germany (after laws) was overkill....by the by, I think that I ended that game with between 60-70 LS. That self-same US AI had roughly 40 or so.

Wrong again :p
I just finished that game last week. FtM 3.05, no mods
Of course, I played to the end of the allowed time frame and put the fascists in charge (never got them to join the faction though). I honestly have no idea how they supported that much. Not that I can complain, seeing as a post-Bitter Peace Germany with most of Europe annexed (sans the willing faction joiners) is easily able to hold up the max stockpiles in all resources. My biggest issue was every time I moved my 500 divisions or so I'd put half my stockpile "on the road" and wouldn't see it again until everyone settled back down.

In one game as GER by mid 1944 I had converted whole bitter peace SU into 100% infra lands and boosted construction practical to ~80% reduction ( some forum members claimed it was a "bug" or "mod") and then built IC up to 1900 :)

sure it is:
http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/103972626-4.jpg
okay, look at the date and you understand^^ Anyways, the AI as USA and USSR had about the same levels of IC, and even more troops defending their homeland (4.000+ brigades each).
As you can see i was not really building anything, this was because it made no sence to build even more armies, when my armies invading europe and USSR had supply problems (i had upgraded all the infrastructure in my empire, so that was not the problem, it was the sheer distance and amount of troops that was the problem).
oh, and this is very much possible in FtM too.

/Fumle

sure it is:
http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/103972626-4.jpg
okay, look at the date and you understand^^ Anyways, the AI as USA and USSR had about the same levels of IC, and even more troops defending their homeland (4.000+ brigades each).
As you can see i was not really building anything, this was because it made no sence to build even more armies, when my armies invading europe and USSR had supply problems (i had upgraded all the infrastructure in my empire, so that was not the problem, it was the sheer distance and amount of troops that was the problem).
oh, and this is very much possible in FtM too.

/Fumle
Why would you ever want so much troops in your homeland !
How much of the rest of the world did you actually conquer ( to maintain such army )

the game seems to remember an single interger (like oil or fuel) up to 1 billion (1000K) then it goes into negatives or zero, so that probally the absoulte max (also does it with officers)

I don't think I've ever IC whored on being one of the superpowers, since they have enough to do what they want wil what they start with. In a couple of German games I've built several rounds of factories because MP is an issue and you need to build a lot of ships fast at somepoint in the late game to take the figh elsewhere...

Japan, I've pushed to the 180IC(ish) base, pumping out about 260IC in several games because its possible to do most of the time. Although I whored it once on a speed game and ran out of resources about the 300IC mark.

Getting past the 100 mark and your set for all your needs really. Get past 200 mark and your laughing with navy and army and airforce. Get past 300 mark, and now you can just turn Siberia into Lv.10 Infra wonderland and lick cream and cherries of Stalins arse crack...wat!? ¬.¬

Why would you ever want so much troops in your homeland !
How much of the rest of the world did you actually conquer ( to maintain such army )

japan did put considerabel number of troops at allmost all of her islands, so like when im building a atlantic wall as Germany i station alot troops at all my islands when im playing Japan. I like to go with a historical approch (though i don't lose on purpose when im axis^^).
Also i had nearly conquered the american continent in that screenshot, i also had asia and africa under control. I prefer to use a small army of veterans to conquer the world, so while they were encircling the last of american resistans, i was doing all i could to use some of all my ressources. I had a massive fleet consisting of 4BB and 2CA each, that blokaded every port in the world so no need for more fleets. My airforce was also quite decent, so i just bougth some land units to place here and there....

Anyways that screenshot was just to show that you can do pretty much whatever extreme stuff you want, theres few limits in paradox games!

/Fumle

Wrong again :p
I just finished that game last week. FtM 3.05, no mods
Of course, I played to the end of the allowed time frame and put the fascists in charge (never got them to join the faction though). I honestly have no idea how they supported that much. Not that I can complain, seeing as a post-Bitter Peace Germany with most of Europe annexed (sans the willing faction joiners) is easily able to hold up the max stockpiles in all resources. My biggest issue was every time I moved my 500 divisions or so I'd put half my stockpile "on the road" and wouldn't see it again until everyone settled back down.

Weird. Where are the rares coming from? With the Soviets taken out, you should have controlled most of the extra rares. (You also had the UK and France beaten, right?) I should check the USA's starting resource techs when I get home. Maybe they researched their way out of that mess.

Its entirely possible. They have the LS to do it. And it seems that the rare/metals/energy are only used when actually building things as opposed to devoting IC to Supplies/Reinforcement/Upgrades/Consumer Goods. They may have felt no need to build any more land units and were only building naval units.
And yes the Allies are non-existent. I released India, Pakistan, and Indonesia as puppets and Siam got most of the local turf around it.
Some notes: I'd basically left the Americas alone except for inviting a few nations aboard (Peru, El Salvador, Haiti, and Nicaragua) that had drifted of their own accord. So maybe the US was just doing a hellacious number of trades with the rest of the Unaligned world? If you want I'll upload the end-game save and you can check it out directly.

There certainly is no such thing as a max limit for IC. I have easily reached 1000 IC as the US by 1945, or even earlier if I play efficiently. I'm sure everyone can achieve those numbers without much pain or loss in focus to military things. Leadership is another thing, there is a certain amount of leadership in the world that can be multiplied several times with all sorts of strategic effects, tech development and events.

If you boot up a game as a minor (like communist China) you'll note you don't really start using rares/metals/energy until you start building something. Dunno if that's supposed to be true

The AI can get to over 500 base IC as the USA all by itself. You don't even want to know what I can accomplish as the Soviets in terms of industrial strength... :)

Actually, yes, I do. :)

Which is a nice segue into my follow-up hypothetical. Okay, imagine you're playing a campaign as, oh, say Japan. You want to raise your IC and Leadership as high as possible by 1940. How would you do it? Specific answers, please.

Here's what I've got, which probably isn't much:

Leadership:

Appoint Kesago as Minister of Security in January 1937 (Man of the People: +5% Leadership modifier).
Research Education. Of course, you'll incur the early research penalty.

IC:

Well, the big one here is build "factories." Building two factories at once only takes @ 13 IC, but they take 14 months to build to start. So if you start two on the first turn, you get them just before the Marco Polo Incident.

Other than the above, the only other way I know how to increase IC/Leadership is to take territory.

By 1940? Fastest way would be a swift, brutal crushing of China, preferably after they've taken over Manchukuo for you. Maybe building a few IC for practicals from the beginning, then do a full run once you've got the Chinese ICs?
I don't know terribly much about playing Japan, though, because I still can't wrap my head around how to make a decent navy... :wacko:

The problem with Japan is that you are already in a position where you have more IC than you can really fuel. Adding a ton of IC to the home islands will only make your deficit worse. If you are going to maximize IC, you might appoint a resource minister to beef up your rares and metal output. Otherwise, you are going to have to sell supplies just so you can import the needed resources for your initial IC, to say nothing of expanding it. And did I mention you are short crude oil, too? You will end up selling supplies to cover the cost of importing that, as well. All those supplies are going to cost IC which is IC not building new IC or building CVs.

Someone mentioned conquering China and that certainly can help. But China isn't an industrial powerhouse. And China does not have a ton of leadership to annex, either. And while China has resources, you aren't going to get them all thanks to you not having cores everywhere.

What do you intend to do by 1940? That will tell me how to answer this question. If you are delaying war with China for a couple of years to build up industry, that's different than planning to DOW China the moment Marco-Polo opens.

Here's the thing. Feel free to spam IC all you want, but Japan's starting army is crap. Out of 172 total brigades, 63 are GAR. That's not the kind of force you can storm into China with an expect an easy victory. If you plan on war with China in 37, you can't really build a ton of IC. You've got to have more troops. And if you plan on war with the USA in 41, you gotta start cooking CVs now or in the next two years.

EDIT: I forgot what crappy politicians Japan has in 1936. Your choices for Armament minister are crap and crappier.

Last edited:
you should also consider building alot infrastructure or whatever buildings before your first IC run, if you build alot fast-builded buildings you can easy get your building practical a good amount up. And since IC takes so long to build, even a few percents makes a big difference.

Fumle