• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Palandiell

Captain
41 Badges
Jun 16, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
just my fealing that armies only made out of cavs seem to own the world

Have your Rhodoks group close together and watch all melee cav fall quickly. Cav horse archers don't do that much damage compared to a Rhodokian crossbow bolt! Though the AI will mostly both miss each other. It works for other troops too, but the Rhodoks have the best anti-cavalry troops.

Depend on what game you are talking about. In Warband, armored knights are quite strong, partly because Warband has crappy equipment and only a single useful pike (called "pike"). Horse archers are hard to beat.

In Fire and Sword, cavalry has to be clever, because a few bullets kill the horse easily. Also, I love playing as pikeman for Sweden - they have very good selection of pikes and two-hander to finish the rider off once grounded. Cavalry is used for flanking tactics, surprise raids, rather than for frontal attack here.

^This. Warband is easy if you use Swadian Knights, you just have to steer clear of the Rhodoks (so many polearms :excl:) and the Khergits (horse archers are annoying).

With Fire and Sword is really a musketeer's game: as long as you have some decent infantry to keep the enemy back you can win most fights with volleys.

I like to roll with mostly cavalry, too. If your group can outrun slower armies you have more strategic flexibility and can fight on your terms and evade superior forces. Cavalry is usually more expensive to maintain, though, and aren't the best choice in rough terrain or for sieges.

Well, if fighting in open terrain they dominate (as it should mostly be) but if they are in rough terrain OR they are stopped (if horses become entangled with your infantry, then they dont. Roddoks are good to stop them when they stand side by side. Put some crossbows or good archers behind the sergeants and cavalry wonr have an easy time. If you use terrain and good tactics, cavalry can be beaten as anythigm else. However, i recognize its the easiest to use unit, as charge is the easiest way of handling battles.

If you order all cavalry to follow you, you can make charges where u wish and when u wish. The other infantry and archers I let go into fight as they are and when they engage the enemy i just lead the cavalry. But i havent tried pure cavalry army yet. It could be fun, but I guess you would get in trouble in the hills ;)

Try fighting in Rhodok lands - hills and mountains aren't CAV favorites. :>

It depends heavily on the faction you are playing IMO, although cavalry seem to dominate in most cases. The best cavalry factions seem to be the Swadians for their strong straight-up attack and the Khergits (obviously) for their ability to both charge straight up and skirmish with their mounted archers. On a side note, there is nothing more annoying than killing off all the Khergit lancers and then having to chase down the remaining skirmishers.
The best way to counter cavalry seems to be having a good, mixed army and most of the infantry as skirmishers (archers preferred). What I like to do is I lead my infantry on top of some hill or in a small forest (pretty much anything that slows cav. down is good), take my horsemen and charge in their cavalry, make them follow me and lead them close to my archer units. When the enemy cavalry is in range of my archers I stop my horsemen and hold the enemy in place while my archers pick them off. Then I do the usual counters to infantry and remaining missile cavalry.
One small note: when facing a much more numerous or better quality cavalry army, you can suffer heavy casualties.

A combination of Nords and Rhodoks is also a potent infantry force which in superior numbers can usually stop cavalry in their tracks.

It depends heavily on the faction you are playing IMO, although cavalry seem to dominate in most cases. The best cavalry factions seem to be the Swadians for their strong straight-up attack and the Khergits (obviously) for their ability to both charge straight up and skirmish with their mounted archers. On a side note, there is nothing more annoying than killing off all the Khergit lancers and then having to chase down the remaining skirmishers.
The best way to counter cavalry seems to be having a good, mixed army and most of the infantry as skirmishers (archers preferred). What I like to do is I lead my infantry on top of some hill or in a small forest (pretty much anything that slows cav. down is good), take my horsemen and charge in their cavalry, make them follow me and lead them close to my archer units. When the enemy cavalry is in range of my archers I stop my horsemen and hold the enemy in place while my archers pick them off. Then I do the usual counters to infantry and remaining missile cavalry.
One small note: when facing a much more numerous or better quality cavalry army, you can suffer heavy casualties.

If I recall the Sarranids have equal last tier cav to Swadia.