Thread: are cavs superior to infantry?

are cavs superior to infantry?

just my fealing that armies only made out of cavs seem to own the world
    "Rommel, where are your tanks?"
    "12 Kilometers from Paris, Sir."
    "Dammit Rommel, the war hasn't even started!"

God of War and Thunder Demi Moderator Baynard's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club

Blog Entries
    Generally they are yes - depending on the class you are talking about.
    A.K.A. Hugues

Find me on:I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    ― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

In field battles, definitely.

Even in sieges heavy cavalry with shields can be pretty dominant.
    v = {sx mod n : n,s∈N, n≥3, s<n, x∈Zn*, x≥y ∀y∈Zn*, sx mod n ≠ s}
    No no no no no
    No no no no no no no
    No no no no ...yes?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

Broken game is broken.

Have your Rhodoks group close together and watch all melee cav fall quickly. Cav horse archers don't do that much damage compared to a Rhodokian crossbow bolt! Though the AI will mostly both miss each other. It works for other troops too, but the Rhodoks have the best anti-cavalry troops.

Archnihilist
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Depend on what game you are talking about. In Warband, armored knights are quite strong, partly because Warband has crappy equipment and only a single useful pike (called "pike"). Horse archers are hard to beat.

In Fire and Sword, cavalry has to be clever, because a few bullets kill the horse easily. Also, I love playing as pikeman for Sweden - they have very good selection of pikes and two-hander to finish the rider off once grounded. Cavalry is used for flanking tactics, surprise raids, rather than for frontal attack here.

Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    King Arthur IIMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

^This. Warband is easy if you use Swadian Knights, you just have to steer clear of the Rhodoks (so many polearms ) and the Khergits (horse archers are annoying).

With Fire and Sword is really a musketeer's game: as long as you have some decent infantry to keep the enemy back you can win most fights with volleys.
    Beelzmod - A complete overhaul for CKII

War is people fighting over ideas.
    Peace is ideas fighting over people.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagicka
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

I like to roll with mostly cavalry, too. If your group can outrun slower armies you have more strategic flexibility and can fight on your terms and evade superior forces. Cavalry is usually more expensive to maintain, though, and aren't the best choice in rough terrain or for sieges.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Well, if fighting in open terrain they dominate (as it should mostly be) but if they are in rough terrain OR they are stopped (if horses become entangled with your infantry, then they dont. Roddoks are good to stop them when they stand side by side. Put some crossbows or good archers behind the sergeants and cavalry wonr have an easy time. If you use terrain and good tactics, cavalry can be beaten as anythigm else. However, i recognize its the easiest to use unit, as charge is the easiest way of handling battles.

If you order all cavalry to follow you, you can make charges where u wish and when u wish. The other infantry and archers I let go into fight as they are and when they engage the enemy i just lead the cavalry. But i havent tried pure cavalry army yet. It could be fun, but I guess you would get in trouble in the hills

Recruit
    Darkest HourEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

It depends heavily on the faction you are playing IMO, although cavalry seem to dominate in most cases. The best cavalry factions seem to be the Swadians for their strong straight-up attack and the Khergits (obviously) for their ability to both charge straight up and skirmish with their mounted archers. On a side note, there is nothing more annoying than killing off all the Khergit lancers and then having to chase down the remaining skirmishers.
    The best way to counter cavalry seems to be having a good, mixed army and most of the infantry as skirmishers (archers preferred). What I like to do is I lead my infantry on top of some hill or in a small forest (pretty much anything that slows cav. down is good), take my horsemen and charge in their cavalry, make them follow me and lead them close to my archer units. When the enemy cavalry is in range of my archers I stop my horsemen and hold the enemy in place while my archers pick them off. Then I do the usual counters to infantry and remaining missile cavalry.
    One small note: when facing a much more numerous or better quality cavalry army, you can suffer heavy casualties.

Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    King Arthur IIMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

A combination of Nords and Rhodoks is also a potent infantry force which in superior numbers can usually stop cavalry in their tracks.
    Beelzmod - A complete overhaul for CKII

War is people fighting over ideas.
    Peace is ideas fighting over people.

Quote Originally Posted by AGeorg View Post
    It depends heavily on the faction you are playing IMO, although cavalry seem to dominate in most cases. The best cavalry factions seem to be the Swadians for their strong straight-up attack and the Khergits (obviously) for their ability to both charge straight up and skirmish with their mounted archers. On a side note, there is nothing more annoying than killing off all the Khergit lancers and then having to chase down the remaining skirmishers.
    The best way to counter cavalry seems to be having a good, mixed army and most of the infantry as skirmishers (archers preferred). What I like to do is I lead my infantry on top of some hill or in a small forest (pretty much anything that slows cav. down is good), take my horsemen and charge in their cavalry, make them follow me and lead them close to my archer units. When the enemy cavalry is in range of my archers I stop my horsemen and hold the enemy in place while my archers pick them off. Then I do the usual counters to infantry and remaining missile cavalry.
    One small note: when facing a much more numerous or better quality cavalry army, you can suffer heavy casualties.
    If I recall the Sarranids have equal last tier cav to Swadia.
    "A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn." - Warhammer
    "Your words are as empty as your future. I am the vanguard of your destruction, this exchange is over." - Sovereign