+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is there a reason for American states to be so narrowminded?

Is there a reason for American states to be so narrowminded?

I've been recently playing a game with Tenochtitlan, and I'm just struck how all their sliders are at extremes of repression. In particular, I have problem seeing the logic of making pre-columbian states max narrowminded.

The gist of my argument against this goes like this: what is max narrowmindedness supposed to represent? I take it, it's not just lack of innovativeness, in the way the opposite of centralization is decentralization. No, it represents repression, and max narrowmindedness is supposed to represent extreme repression. Is there a reason to think pre-columbian states were like that, or actively policed their thought? I don't think so. Both Inca and Aztec states had vibrant culture, and made modest innovations, such as the Inca Quipu writing system, or the way the states were organised. Admittedly, there's no reason to think these were particularly liberal states, but that's not a reason for putting them at +5 narrowminded; it's a reason to put them at around +2.

Of course, one could argue max narrowmindedness from the point of view of not making westernising too easy. But I don't think you can argue this based on history. These states were annihilated almost immediately after the first contact with europeans, and one cannot know how it would have turned out without conquestadors.

In short, I propose moving American states closer to innovative. Similar arguments could be made for free trade (in case of Aztecs) and centralzation (in case of Incas). But that's another argument...

Most Nations outside of Europe have high narrowmindedness, actually. One could think that it's supposed to represent how they tended to be less advanced at this point in history, but... we already have variable research speeds for that, no?

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Teleglitch: Die More Edition

Quote Originally Posted by CyberEagle View Post
    Most Nations outside of Europe have high narrowmindedness, actually. One could think that it's supposed to represent how they tended to be less advanced at this point in history, but... we already have variable research speeds for that, no?
    Yes, that is correct. Additionally we can limit then to westernize at a higher requirement. There are many things we can do for game balance beyond using the sliders. In fact I do believe that our goal should be to have most nations start at slider position 0, and balance the game from the beginning by other means. All the sliders would represent at that point is how you want to deviate from baseline history. Of course some nations would be logically be far from 0 at the start, but those would be the exception not the rule itself.

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    96 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of WarParadoxian Order - 2015

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirohi View Post
    In short, I propose moving American states closer to innovative. Similar arguments could be made for free trade (in case of Aztecs) and centralzation (in case of Incas). But that's another argument...
    I'm okay with this motion.

Any comments or objections ?
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Teleglitch: Die More Edition

Quote Originally Posted by gigau View Post

I'm okay with this motion.

Any comments or objections ?
    You get nothing but approval from me. From my knowledge of native americans, it makes sense.

Well, that was smooth. As a side-note, if you want to make it harder for americans to westernise, which might be more realistic, you could always add a special westernising decision to them which would include a tech-requirement. That would model their technological backwardness better, imo.

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    96 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of WarParadoxian Order - 2015

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirohi View Post
    Well, that was smooth.
    I think that it's been proven, along the years, that we are open to constructive criticism and to suggestions.
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

+ Reply to Thread