• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hootieleece

Field Marshal
105 Badges
Dec 21, 2002
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
I'm playing my current game Castille.(1370 AD) I now lead a large Kingdom. All of Iberia, half of Toulouse and Provence. I have 3000 gold. I get 40 gold/month.I only use normal tax settings. All of my holdings are maxed out. I can't build anymore due to tech. I am so large Mercenaries are useless. I just call up my vassal hordes and Blitz the opponent. It takes longer to walk levies to war than war itself lasts. I checked independent states on ledger. Genoa my new favorite punching Bag, has 35000 gold. WTF. when I war with them they don't even hire mercenaries. The only thing that costs money is Fabricate Claims. about 500 gold for county claim. I always press claim.

-maybe if you had to actually had to pay for vassal levies.After a certain length of call up.
-more Diplomatic uses of money other than gift.
-maybe initiating plots in intrigue screen should need money

Any Ideas we can forward to devs would be appreciated.

Since the 1.00 I was for a tax decrease on each military buildings to limite the use of those or at least make them use cash before you start being able to stockpile it.

i'd rather have actual more uses for money. making troops more expensive just hurts you more early game. maybe have millitary administartion negative for the amount of money it costs to call on your armies the bigger they are. lets say i ahve 17k troops raised. this would need me to pay... lets say 50% more upkeep because of corruption ect. and would be paid by the user of the army(so you dont get punished for it as a small count that just gets his levies ordered by the massive empire he's part of).

I agree with Zarine on building maintenance. I think that every courtier should make demands on you for a little money. Keeping a court of 40 courtiers like the King of Navarra in 1066 should be a drain on your treasury. Every child and sibling should be hitting you up for a small regular pension, and you should be funding all kinds of pious works and such. In your case, you should be able to become patron of arts or something like that, funding all kinds of royal academies, etc. (yes I know it's early for the Baroque, but he's got more gold than Soloman.)

But in any case, you should be facing big overhead to run an empire like that. Kings usually ran in the red pretty severely, but Spain was known for its wealth throughout the middle ages. Alfonso VI built the third abbey at Cluny for goodness sake.

Whenever I am getting more money than what i can spend on my own holding, i use it on my vassal citys and baronys, i build the income buildings so that the respective mayor or baron can upgrade the rest on its own. I also build all universities and church school i can in any holding in my capital county.
But i agree, it just gets to a point where you end up with thousands of money and have nothing to do with it, other than buying pardon for sins (dont remeber the name) and lift excomunations by money.

-maybe if you had to actually had to pay for vassal levies.After a certain length of call up.

Well... There might be something to it. Since your vassals get pissed off with your raising their levies exactly because they have to finance your follies, maybe adding an option of paying them off (as in: financilg the campaign) to slow down/remove their unhappiness with your next war could be an option? Huge change of ballance, I know, but hey! money makes the world go round, no?
On second thought one can do just about the same by granting the vassals gifts, so maybe I'm wrong...

You have so much extra money you don't know what to do with it? Wow you aren't being aggressive enough and using up that cash on your holdings and buying mercenaries to fight wars.

Go pick some Holy War fights and just send mercenaries in to do the work. I can burn through cash like it is my job.....

You have so much extra money you don't know what to do with it? Wow you aren't being aggressive enough and using up that cash on your holdings and buying mercenaries to fight wars.

Go pick some Holy War fights and just send mercenaries in to do the work. I can burn through cash like it is my job.....

I've been there done that. I'm so big and powerful. Realm size 263. Army size 149,000. On Independent States page on ledger I'm 4rth in realm size and 1rst in Army size.
No reason to Holy war either nearest moslems are in Egypt. Crusade already called. I'm not helping because I don't want another Kingdom title. I've got 1 too many as it is.

My nearest neighbor is France. They are slightly bigger than me Realm size 300, Army slightly smaller. 125,000. Their my ally(Brother-in-law) now, but will be target in Future.

That doesn't seem like to much money. My El Cid game that I played till end date he was making over 300 gold per month. Something like 80K gold in reserve. I bought non stop indulgences because it cost about 4k just to get rid of gold I was extremely bored the last 60 years of that game.

But if you haven't yet done so I would suggest building extra cities everywhere then build one of the tax income buildings immediately and then give the city to your vassal.

Fabricate claims are scalable depending on how prestigious you are, I've seen county claims that were over 3K and duchy claims well over 5K.

You can always give your extra kingdom titles to your dynasty members. More dynasty prestige and instant war allies. I routinely set family members up with there own kingdoms. I try to get at least a handful of family members their own kingdoms.

My current game I've been making over 100 gold per month for at least one century and I always manage to get rid of the gold. 10 extra cities can cost between 7k and 10k. Build like its simcity and don't building.

I have built all possible holdings. All Upgrades.Technologically possible haven't research all tech yet. I also said I was only taxing my vassals on normal or default settings.

At some point, you just become king of the game. In-so-much as their is nothing that rivals your kingdoms/empire. You kind of said in your original post, that military matters are all cake walks. You sir, are king of the game. Why shouldnt you have piles of money?

I eventually reach that point in all my games. Then I go, "I win. And I'm bored." So I restart as someone else. I know other people play it out, but I cant.

Congratz on your victory. Now go play as a Duke in Scotland or something.

At some point, you just become king of the game. In-so-much as their is nothing that rivals your kingdoms/empire. You kind of said in your original post, that military matters are all cake walks. You sir, are king of the game. Why shouldnt you have piles of money?

I eventually reach that point in all my games. Then I go, "I win. And I'm bored." So I restart as someone else. I know other people play it out, but I cant.

Congratz on your victory. Now go play as a Duke in Scotland or something.
I am going to play in Russia next. I FEAR the Mongols.

Reduced cooldown on Send Gift so that it operates more like EU3. There every month you could send a new diplomat with some gold to improve relations. I am not saying that it should be possible to stack them immediately.

My suggestion is if Send Gift relations boosts were stackable and able to be sent once a month it might be a more interesting concept and a place to put all of that extra money. It would possibly make successions much more expensive but less bloody if the treasury was large enough to handle it all.