• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Caramel95

Major
24 Badges
Feb 21, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
OK, so i want to form the Byzantine Empire as greece, what provinces do i have to take, and what events or reforms must be done in order to form the Byzantine Empire? :)

It is a several step process

1. Regain your starting cores

2. Become a Great Power and get the Megali Idea (this is not literally essential but practically speaking it's the only way to go)

3. Start getting your Megali cores

4. At some point, take Rumelia from the Ottomans. This will force them to move their capital and now you can take Thrace (note- this step was added in at some point and I don't know if it was in vanilla or not. If you don't have AHD, this might not happen and you'll have to dismantle the entire Ottoman Empire to take Thrace)

5. It's not listed in Megali, but you'll need to take Bursa as well before the Byzantine option forms

6. Forming Byzantine gives cores on all areas you own that are primarily Greek or Turkish; that's a one off deal so you may want to take as much Turkish territory as possible before forming

That's the theory. You'll find the practice of doing it is very difficult; there are a number of threads around that discuss it.

A good way to start is by forcing Ottomans to release al the countries they can from the start, except for Bulgaria, which has cores in Macedonia (East I think). Also make sure you click 'play as' and tag-switch back, you don't wanna fight a bunch of puppets. What I want to try out is conquer Greece as Ottomans, release all the countries it can (starting with Greece) so that it has all the territory it wants. The key is to have OE as weak as possible when you gobble up its territories.

ok ill do that, ive had to start again because OE is in Frances sphere and my allies Serbia, Montenegro and Two Sicilies will not even hesitate in saying no to me if i go to war.

you need to annex Tunis early otherwise France will and then they'll share a border with the Ottomans which gives them bonuses to sphere them. If they don't border the ottomans, they usually don't sphere them. As soon as the Ottos are sphered by a big power you have to become a great power yourself to unsphere them.
Russia may be the best scenario since sometimes they don't have a big army and they won't mobilize against your small army.

Guys, i've done everything the threat says but the option to form the byzantine empire doesn't show in my decisions... the Ottoman Empire still exists though. i have ahd latest patch

Do you have the Konya region? It isn't a Megali idea core, but you still need it. If you are going by the check-list in Corelay's post then I think he meant Konya rather than Bursa for stage 5. (Bursa being part of the Megali idea cores anyway).

For some reason I do keep saying Bursa for that- apologies. It actually occurred to me I'd made that mistake again a few days back but I forgot to come and correct it.