+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Ways to convert province religion besides inquisition mission?

  1. #1
    Lt. General
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,503

    Ways to convert province religion besides inquisition mission?

    It's been over 50 years since I conquered Barcelona. It's culture has long turned to my native one, but after 100 years of non-stop inquisition mission by my priest advisors, the province is still muslim. There has to be another way to do this... because I'm getting close to the 100 year mark and the province still hasn't flipped. Anyone have any useful alternatives?

  2. #2
    Not really, but if someone else is the count or duke in charge they may have their own people try to convert it also.
    For God's sake, let us sit upon the ground
    And tell sad stories of the death of kings;

  3. #3
    On Double Secret Probation Comradebot's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Huntsville, TX
    Posts
    3,552
    Blog Entries
    1
    I feel your pain. It's been about 150 years since I conquered Iceland, and Austisland is still Catholic.

    I wanna see the giant word NORSE in the top corner of the map.

  4. #4
    I think your vassals will convert, i gave Jerusalem and its starting to turn catholic even though I've been doing cultural advancement at my capital.

  5. #5
    On Double Secret Probation Comradebot's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Huntsville, TX
    Posts
    3,552
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by hopelessnoob View Post
    I think your vassals will convert, i gave Jerusalem and its starting to turn catholic even though I've been doing cultural advancement at my capital.
    Aye, I tend to give counties in need of conversion to a vassal and let them handle it. Not always (gotta keep my own demesne up, after all), but frequently. They're more than happy to commit their Court Chaplain's time to converting regions they control or have a vassal who controls. Heck, it goes incredibly quick if you have a Count with a Duke above him, both of em' will send their Chaplain to work on converting the county.

  6. #6
    Colonel Zarky's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron III

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vantaa, Finland
    Posts
    853
    Yeah, it can be very hard to convert provinces, I'd usually just give such provinces to vassals, and it really speeds up the process even if you're not particularly lucky. After all you shouldn't keep a freshly conquered foreign religion province in your demesne because it's worthless. However 100 years seems a bit high.

  7. #7
    Second Lieutenant Gainas's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband500k club

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Venezia
    Posts
    102
    I always found no way for conversion when the moral authority of Catholocism is above 70%. I had to lower the authority by saving/loading with other reigns and appointing a couple of antipopes and saving again, then I eventually converted the region to Norse.

  8. #8
    Field Marshal Wallain's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,454
    I usually just give the provinces to vassals. That way you can convert the entire Baltic in >100 years since counts and dukes both use their inquistors to convert.

  9. #9
    On Double Secret Probation Comradebot's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Huntsville, TX
    Posts
    3,552
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gainas View Post
    I always found no way for conversion when the moral authority of Catholocism is above 70%. I had to lower the authority by saving/loading with other reigns and appointing a couple of antipopes and saving again, then I eventually converted the region to Norse.
    They still convert, just not a huge chance of it. Catholicism in my Norse game has hovered in the 90s for the most part, and now all of Scandinavia, Ireland, and bits and pieces of Pomerania, Lithuania, and Scotland have learned the glory of Thor. It's just difficult to get them to convert.

  10. #10
    I usually luck out and end up with a high teen (18+) Chaplain, and when I conquer a Muslim country I am quick on the draw to deploy him... but my Dukes always have a better time converting their provinces than my Chaplain.

    In the time it takes for an appointed Inquisition to convert a province, I'll get two or three random pop-ups indicating that my Dukes have already done the job elsewhere. Honestly, I think the whole RNG of the game is out of whack, because my Councilors SUCK, despite their high stats.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Etrs View Post
    I usually luck out and end up with a high teen (18+) Chaplain, and when I conquer a Muslim country I am quick on the draw to deploy him... but my Dukes always have a better time converting their provinces than my Chaplain.

    In the time it takes for an appointed Inquisition to convert a province, I'll get two or three random pop-ups indicating that my Dukes have already done the job elsewhere. Honestly, I think the whole RNG of the game is out of whack, because my Councilors SUCK, despite their high stats.
    I think that what you are seeing is actually a sort of stacking type effect from multiple chaplains. If a count, duke and you all put your chaplain in the same province, that is 3 chances to convert every month. That will significantly decrease the time to conversion. If you have your chaplain in your own demesne, that means that there is only 1 person working to convert, so it will take longer.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipster View Post
    I think that what you are seeing is actually a sort of stacking type effect from multiple chaplains. If a count, duke and you all put your chaplain in the same province, that is 3 chances to convert every month. That will significantly decrease the time to conversion. If you have your chaplain in your own demesne, that means that there is only 1 person working to convert, so it will take longer.
    It seems to be exactly like this. And this also, might be the answer to the 100 years no conversion problem. If a barony/city/whatever in the subject county belongs to a ruler of another confession... your Chaplain may be preaching to the mullah, or a shaman... Tough case, I'd gather...

  13. #13
    Second Lieutenant Xihu's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    190
    What's the key to becoming pagan? I've been trying to figure out how to become Norse myself, but find it difficult. I don't think I can marry pagans, and they all seem to turn into Catholics too quickly to gain any kind of political power.

    EDIT: this was meant for "comradebot". Forgot to use quote..
    "The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one." - Albert Einstein

  14. #14
    Field Marshal Wallain's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihu View Post
    What's the key to becoming pagan? I've been trying to figure out how to become Norse myself, but find it difficult. I don't think I can marry pagans, and they all seem to turn into Catholics too quickly to gain any kind of political power.

    EDIT: this was meant for "comradebot". Forgot to use quote..
    Have your heir schooled by a pagan.

  15. #15
    Major Major LarryLeica's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihu View Post
    What's the key to becoming pagan? I've been trying to figure out how to become Norse myself, but find it difficult. I don't think I can marry pagans, and they all seem to turn into Catholics too quickly to gain any kind of political power.

    EDIT: this was meant for "comradebot". Forgot to use quote..
    Marry one with the gregarious and/or diligent traits. Have them educate your heir. Employ pagans as vassals and councillors if you can. You can swear fealty to a pagan yourself, and then use the "convert to liege's culture" ambition. After that you can declare independence at the appropriate time or eat the realm from within.
    Woman: Well how'd you become king then?
    [Angelic music plays... ]
    King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king.
    Dennis: [interrupting] Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Shade View Post
    It's been over 50 years since I conquered Barcelona. It's culture has long turned to my native one, but after 100 years of non-stop inquisition mission by my priest advisors, the province is still muslim. There has to be another way to do this... because I'm getting close to the 100 year mark and the province still hasn't flipped. Anyone have any useful alternatives?
    Whats the moral authority of the catholic church in your game?
    There's an old Italian saying, don't burn your tongue on another man's soup.

  17. #17
    Lt. General
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by whosthebestcop View Post
    Whats the moral authority of the catholic church in your game?
    Currently it is 100. Not sure if that is good or bad, this is my first game.

    I'd rather not give Barcelona to a vassal because it has 5 holdings. If I give the dutchy to a liege, will he convert the province even if he doesn't control the county directly? I gave the dutchy of Portucale away but I haven't seen any of my underlings do any converting in that area yet (also getting close to 100 years for that region).

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Shade View Post
    Currently it is 100. Not sure if that is good or bad, this is my first game.

    I'd rather not give Barcelona to a vassal because it has 5 holdings. If I give the dutchy to a liege, will he convert the province even if he doesn't control the county directly? I gave the dutchy of Portucale away but I haven't seen any of my underlings do any converting in that area yet (also getting close to 100 years for that region).
    100% Moral Authority is great for converting. So that is not the problem. What is your court chaplain's learning stat as I believe that is the basis for religion converting?

    Its possible it takes 100 years, that is extremely unlucky but totally possible, Usually takes me somewhere between 20-50 years I would guess. I would assign a new chaplain and send the new back to Barcelona.
    There's an old Italian saying, don't burn your tongue on another man's soup.

  19. #19
    Lt. General
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by whosthebestcop View Post
    100% Moral Authority is great for converting. So that is not the problem. What is your court chaplain's learning stat as I believe that is the basis for religion converting?

    Its possible it takes 100 years, that is extremely unlucky but totally possible, Usually takes me somewhere between 20-50 years I would guess. I would assign a new chaplain and send the new back to Barcelona.
    My chaplains learning skill is 26, and the combination of my ruler/wife/chaplain have my kings learning skill at 44.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Shade View Post
    My chaplains learning skill is 26, and the combination of my ruler/wife/chaplain have my kings learning skill at 44.
    You sir have bad luck. I would immediately find someone to perform some voodoo on your house.
    There's an old Italian saying, don't burn your tongue on another man's soup.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts