+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best AARs?

HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3For The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIMajesty 2Europa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Rome: Vae Victis

Best AARs?

The LibrAARy is very useful to find AARs but there are only 3 or so that are rated for "best". Since there are dozens of AARs, it would be nice to have more ratings for the best AARs. For instance for the best written, most humorous, best historical, most instructive, and so on. Or perhaps to have them rated with a number of stars between 1 and 5. I like to read AARs, but I can't read them all and I would be sure not to miss the best ones.

Having them rated by countries is very useful, especially for one who wants to play a country for the first time, and the rating by authors is also useful for one who particularly liked one by a given author.

BTW, did you know that the book "The hunt for Red October" was wargamed and the story of the book (and the movie) followed the result. The battle of Midway was also gamed by the Japanese, but the young wolves playing the USA beat the Old Guard playing the Japanese, who discounted the result predicting almost exactly what happened. Now if Hitler had had HOI3...

Henri

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaSword of the Stars II
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessV2 Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Well, "best" is very subjective. My suggestion is to look at the 5 Iron HeAARt 2011 AARs, which happen to be a mix of multiplayer, history-book, comedy, and narrative AARs. The link to the voting thread is here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-Voting-Thread. Based on the previous polls, those are the best 5 AARs finished during 2011 for HOI3 and its expansions.

Granted, 3 of the 5 are for Semper Fi, 1 is for the original game, and the last is for FtM, so if you're looking for FtM AARs, so you're stuck going through unfinished AARs if you don't want to read AARs based on "old" versions of the game.
    The Historical Plausibility Project - 1.0.4 (final) for HoI3, 2.04 (final) for SF, 3.0.0 (final) for FtM, 3.3.2 (beta) for TFH
    Alt-History: Code Geass Timeline - v1.8 for Victoria 2: A House Divided (final), v2.2 for Heart of Darkness, based on the Pop Demand mod

My AARs:
    Banner of the White Sun - an HPP 1.0 (final HOI3) Nationalist China AAR - DONE
    Teutonic Dreams - an HPP 1.7.3 (mid-SF) Germany AAR - Done
    Jiěfŕng Zhŕnzhēng - A Chinese HPP 2.04 (final SF) AAR - Done
    Kantai Kessen - Empire of Japan HPP 2.6.71a (mid-FTM) AAR - Last update April 16, 2013 - Abandoned

My information thread about ww2 naval expansion for the world's naval powers, large and small. Last update August 22, 2013; reworked the Soviet entry.

Not disrail the thread, but do you have to have permission to do an ALR?

Edit: As in moderator approval, etc., that kind of thing.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis: RomeHoi 2 Beta500k club

Quote Originally Posted by REMcPhail View Post

No permission needed, but your AAR must follow the usual Forum Rules (no Nazi symbols on pictures, no profanity or racial slurs, etc).
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is GOLD. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use WHITE for that.

"The Game"... my first AAR. Armageddon v1.2 Mod-34, Germany.
    Winner, Q2-2008 HOI-2 Comedy Award.
    Winner, 2008 Iron HeAARt Award for the best HOI-2 AAR of 2008.
    Autocrat of Earth in the Forum Game "Ad Astra"
    Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Henri View Post
    The LibrAARy is very useful to find AARs but there are only 3 or so that are rated for "best". Since there are dozens of AARs, it would be nice to have more ratings for the best AARs. For instance for the best written, most humorous, best historical, most instructive, and so on. Or perhaps to have them rated with a number of stars between 1 and 5. I like to read AARs, but I can't read them all and I would be sure not to miss the best ones.

Having them rated by countries is very useful, especially for one who wants to play a country for the first time, and the rating by authors is also useful for one who particularly liked one by a given author.
    The problem with 'best' is it is horribly subjective. The best maybe so many different things, but there is a quarterly competition for people's favourite current AARs and you can find the thread here, that may give you some ideas, but remember its everyone's personal judgements. So an AAR someone else finds brilliant, you may not like and vice-versa.

So as the person who keeps the library mostly up to date, my view is that any rating system would be subjective (and inappropriate) and you're as well looking at the first couple of pages of one that interests you and coming to your own judgements.

Quote Originally Posted by REMcPhail View Post

As to starting your own, as blue emu says, there's no need for permission. You may want to read over some of the links in my signature, the FAQ in particular may help you with some basics such as images and ideas about style and so on.

So looking forward to your first AAR.

You can check in my signature for the "best" HOI3 AARs based on some subjective rating but still shows some good choice. The table includes countries played too.

EU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by loki100 View Post
    So as the person who keeps the library mostly up to date, my view is that any rating system would be subjective (and inappropriate) and you're as well looking at the first couple of pages of one that interests you and coming to your own judgements.
    A reasonable middle-ground would be to label the Quarterly & Yearly award winners in the library.

Bad mojo Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Thread moved to AARland.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisRise of Prussia500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Didn't there used to be an archive of ACA winners? That would be a pretty good list of some the most widely read AARs (or at least the ones with the most motivated readers)

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

I'm not sure if there's a comprehensive ACA archive. I know many of the libraries have an awards page which lists these.
    Serenity - (V2 v1.3) - An isolationist Japan tries to stay out of everybody's way (Updated July '13)
    Kriegsgefahr (Impending War) - (HOI3/SF/HPP) - Germany attempts to remain at peace! (Updated Apr '13)
    Locarno - Italy vs. Germany (HOI3/SF/HPP) - What if Mussolini stood with France against Hitler?
    The Die is Cast (Roman Civil War) - Caesar will make a name for himself! (Updated June '12)
    Império Novo - An Axis Portugal AAR for HOI 3 (Updated May '13)
    Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian Victoria 1 AAR (Awarded the VictAARian Cross for Jan-Jun 2006)
    Castles In the Sky (Vicky 1) * Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR (EU III) (Updated May '13) * I Am Siam (V2 Minor) (tied for Silver VictAARian Cross for Best AAR completed in 2011) * A Long Time Ago... (HOI 1 Argentina)* Check Rensslaer's Inkwell! (list of online writings)

Ask how many Divisions I have! InnocentIII's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The frustrating thing for me using the LibrAARy was that there was no distinction between abortive AARs and those which lasted a while. So I'd look in for X-Country and find a couple with five Chapters between them. Some are listed as abandoned, and that's up the the author, which is only right, but while "Best" might not be something we can judge, some minimum basis for getting a notation might be in order.

I'd suggest a notation for an AAR which got past ten fifteen or twenty chapters. One symbol, not many, just pick 10/15/20 or whatever, something which lets people know that the AAR has gotten to a certain critical mass which makes even an incomplete AAR worth a look. If we're trying to guide people past AARs which are just a couple segments, without discouraging people from restarting those, or passing judgement on the quality of AARs, it still might be useful to note those which at least get to a certain point. The writer could post that he got to the required chapter the same way he adds his AAR, or says it's complete, so it wouldn't be a huge addition to the Library Keeper's task (easy for me to say).
    Try Aurora - Dwarf Fortress in Space!
    Check out my Vicky2 AAR: Last Tango in 1.3 - An Argentine AAR Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky1/2 2011 (Round 3) - Completed
    Five for Fighting - A Canadian HoI3 AAR WritAAR of the Week (December 11th - December 18th, 2011) AAR Showcase Week of 6/17/12 - Completed

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisRise of Prussia500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    If you look for the nominees/winners of the complete games (CrusadAARs Chalice, OscAARs, etc...) those are all complete AARs and there is usually a listing of some sort in the LibrAARies.

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

InnocentIII, the issue is that the people who run the libraries and the other initiatives are all volunteers. Like the moderators, they put in a lot of time and work for no reward (other than the satisfaction of doing the right thing).

So... I think your idea is a good one. If you want to implement it, PM the libraarian for the game of your choice and dig in.

This isn't meant as a put-down, I promise you. It's just that good ideas don't implement themselves, and the current staff probably don't have the time or quite the love of the idea that you do.
    "That which does not kill me, has made a grave tactical error." - Jerry Pournelle

Seven AARs and a picture, too: Director's Inkwell

Topaz-Fisted Demi-God Moderator Mr. Capiatlist's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Warlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy Knight500k club

Blog Entries
    I agree with Director, of course. The problem I foresee is defining a "chapter". People use different terms for updates, series of updates and what not. I think fifteen updates makes for a decent read. But fifteen chapters (for my AAR anyway) would actually be 75 updates.
    -Mr. Capiatlist (Ink well):

When I speak in Rose, I do so as a Moderator. :: Forum Rules | AARland Rules 1 | Rules 2 | Interactivity Rules
    (Never quote or otherwise publicly respond to my rose text. If you have a problem: PM me.)

+ Reply to Thread