• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fascinating AAR, I'll definitely be following this.

2-1: No Surrender

General Palmer stood there, as five NATO generals, including Supreme Commander MacArthur, watched him, waiting for the report on the rapidly falling Italy. Palmer's hands began to shake as he reached down and pulled out a letter. It was a direct appeal for help from the Italian Prime Minister. All it said, was "Help us." Palmer reached out, and handed the letter to MacArthur. "What is this?" MacArthur said, eyeing over the two words. Palmer looked up and began to speak. "It's all the Italian Prime Minister had to say when I met with him early last week." MacArthur looked up from the letter. He quietly asked "You mean...just how bad is it?" Palmer began to speak. "Germany has had a fighting chance, at least we have some Army Groups there, but in Italy we don't have a thing. The Italians are nearly ready to begin throwing human waves at the Warsaw Pact in an effort to slow them down." MacArthur looked at a clearly desperate Palmer. "I'm sorry General, we just...can't afford any reinforcements for Italy."

TanksMilan.png

Pictured: Hungarian Tanks, Milan 1957​

Dear Svetlana
I have been transferred to the Italian Theater. I'm currently stationed in Milan, and what a beautiful city! It was a heck of a fight to take though, the Italians were actually launching wave after wave of troops at us, almost reminds me of my days in Stalingrad. They are falling no doubt about that, but they are refusing any type of surrender. From what I understand, they lost many citizens to that Western Flu, so I don't know how they can afford a defense like this. Well Svetlana, be prepared to see the red banner flying over Rome, for I expect the nation will soon fall.

Mikhail Banketik
Soviet Armed Forces
18th Motor Rifle Division
Milan, Occupied Italy

ITaly.png

Pictured: Italian Forces, 1957​

-----
Previous: 1-5: Fulda Offensive
Next: 2-2: No Retreat (July 7th-July 9th)

Good stuff.

Just a point of interest. There is no such thing as the Royal Canadian Army. It is just the Canadian Army. Different regiments have Royal designations and the Royal Canadian Air Force and the Royal Canadian Navy.

Everything else is fantastic. Keep it up!

2-2: No Retreat

"What do you mean no evacuation!" The Italian soldier was screaming into the radio. "We've lost countless men defending this useless piece of land, we need to retreat, the-" He was cut off as an explosion from a nearby bomb sent him into a ditch. Dazed, the solider looked up at what seemed like an endless stream of jets and bombers flying south. He didn't recognize any of them, but he knew they weren't NATO. The man tried to roll onto his side, but a branch had jabbed into his abdomen, locking him into place. He leaned back and yelled for help. He stopped, as he realized his voice was being drowned out by gunshots and explosions. The soldier laid there unable to move, as the pain stopped. The man looked up at the bombers, and said while closing his eyes. "I'm coming home Adriana."

Untitled-8.png

Pictured: Tu-95, Italy 1957​

Dear James
News just got to us that some small German town was annihilated by a nuclear weapon, not even our CO knows who dropped it. Also they say Italy has been completely cut off by land and now the Russians are encroaching on Frances border. The worlds gone to hell, and I'm right in the middle of it. I am just outside of Bonn as far as I know. Rumors are that the city has erupted in protest over the poor results from the war so far. We've been trying to maintain a safe distance from the frontline, apparently high command has designated us as reserves for the time being. To be completely honest with you, I'm more relieved then anything. I must stop writing now, time is a hard thing to come by, I hope to hear from you soon. Goodbye James.

Private Addison Shepard
Canadian Army
1st Infantry Division
Bonn, Germany

Bonn-1.png

Pictured: War Protests, Bonn 1957​

-----
Previous: 2-1: No Surrender
Next: 2-3: No Regrets (July 11th-12th)

2-3: No Regrets

Dear Joyce
They're here. We've received word that Pact Forces are just outside of Rome. We're dug in around the city but I don't think we'll be able to hold it. The Italian Air Force is putting up what it defense it can in the sky, but for the most part the Russians are just bombing away at us. They're bombing has caused huge amounts of damage and they don't even seem to bother differentiating between Rome and the Vatican, as St. Peter's Basilica collapsed following intense bombing earlier this morning. I am ready for this Joyce, I know you don't understand why I did this, but I needed to. I fought to keep Europe from falling under ruthless a dictator last decade, and I'll be dead before I see it fall under another. I hope to see you soon Joyce. Marry Christmas.

General James Cassels
I Corps
British Army
Rome, Italy

Rome57.png

Pictured: View from Soviet Bomber, Rome 1957​

On Christmas Day, 1957, Pact Forces primarily consisting of Hungarian and Ukrainian forces stormed the eternal city. A small British Corp of 3 divisions, and a single Italian division stood prepared to defend to the last man. The Pact forces were able to gain an upper hand almost immediately due to the mass disorganization of the defenders. The British Corp was severely below optimal strength which lead to major gaps in their defenses. The Hungarians were able to circle around the British defense based on the southeast bank of the Tiber, capturing thousands. In the end the Soviets celebrated the first capture of a NATO capital. The western powers on the other hand were dealt one of the largest moral losses since the Fall of France. With the fall of Rome, the fate of Italy was sealed.

Corsica.png

Pictured: Unknown Soldier, Rome 1957 (Disputed)​

-----
Previous: 2-2: No Retreat
Next: 2-4: No Return

Last edited:
2-4: No Return

The sign sat there, seemingly in the middle of nowhere, on a road no one traveled. It helped the Chinese soldiers a slight amount, but overall it seemed redundant. In truth, a farmer had put it up several years ago as an inside joke amongst his family, he never thought anyone would come out this far and actually see it. The farmer had gone missing shortly after the Chinese invaded, so it's unlikely he ever knew anyone actually saw it. The sign simply said: "Welcome to Stalin's Playground: Siberia"

MaoSiber.png

Pictured: Mao, Soviet-Chinese Border 1957​
The Chinese invasion of the Soviet Union began with a massive and unexpected artillery barrage of the city of Vladivostok. The Chinese quickly launched forces primarily stationed in North Korea towards the city. The Soviet's were not prepared, with the majority of the city's defences set up to repel an American naval invasion. The Chinese were able to rapidly seize the city with little effort. The capture of the city actually gave the unexpected result of a slight moral boost to NATO with a minor propaganda campaign claiming RAF bombers assisted. Although, little was mentioned in NATO propaganda of how the first Soviet city to fall was captured by another communist power.

NoRe.png

The Chinese entrance against the Soviet Union was seen as both a blessing and a curse by NATO high command. On the one hand, they had opened up another front against the Soviets. But on the other side of things, the PLA had already steam rolled through South Korea, and were beginning to make serious gains in Northern India. MacArthur himself had been calling for war with China prior to the invasion of Siberia. It was while MacArthur was questioning war with China when he received word: the PLA had seized Manilla.

-----
Previous: 2-3: No Regrets
Next: 2-5: No Mistakes

Last edited: