• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(59414)

Private
Jul 28, 2006
I'm playing as King of Bohemia circa 1200 and I have two wives. Strange enough, my son from my first marriage isn't my heir that privilege goes to my son from the second marriage. I'm just wondering has this ever happened to anyone else.

In the Denmark game I finished a few days ago, my heir came to the throne with three (!) wives in tow. He'd been living the life of Reilly in his own county for twenty-odd years, so I've no idea how he did it. Needless to say, two of them 'fell downstairs' pretty smartish once I became that character. Never seen it before or since, so if there is a buglet out there it's an elusive one.

ok I haven't played since 1.05c patch...

...you can have multiple wives now?

Not that I know of, I'd imagine it could happen when the AI gets more than one marriage request turn up at the same time and it accepts them all though.

If it's still happening, I'd say throw it at the bug forum.

my point was how do we have people talking about multiple wives, playing themself?

so I'm not going to get a legit answer am I.

Characters that have been AI before can inherit your ruler.
but how do YOU have multiple wives? the way the OP talks?

inheriting a ruler is one thing; it doesn't change who the player is playing as. only death does that.

so again, how are people having multiple wives?

but how do YOU have multiple wives? the way the OP talks?

inheriting a ruler is one thing; it doesn't change who the player is playing as. only death does that.

so again, how are people having multiple wives?

I think Galadhonnen and DreadLindwyrm answered that : your heir is controlled by the AI, he probably gets multiple positive answers to marriage demands the same day, and as the AI doesn't manage event messages as we do, he gets mutiple wives.
Then your character dies, and you get to play the lil' polygamous bastard.
Apparently, this is the only way to get multiple wives without cheating or modding : pure chance.

It's a glitch.

ok I understand now.

wow I've never had that happen to me. has it always been a glitch or did one of the patches cause it? that's interesting.

ok I understand now.

wow I've never had that happen to me. has it always been a glitch or did one of the patches cause it? that's interesting.

I think it allways was a glitch becasue the reason for it to happen is that the AI works through all events of a day at once instead of checking after/before each one if the situation has changed during the earlier events of this day.

Maybe you have seen the more-than-two-wards-bug before? Its a resultof the same thing but easier to spot since you can see it instantly on the character page while having a little arrow at the spouses portrait most times indicated that the first wife died. Since most of the characters are not important enough for the player to check all their previous wives I guess it is hard to predict how many AI characters are in fact ploygam in a given savegame.

Now for it to happen to your next ruler the chances are very low espacily since most players prefer to not give landed titles to their unmarried possible heir(s), which means that they get involved in the marriage process and the glitch cant occure.
So it can only happen if you grand land to an unmarried heir or one who will outlive his wife and he than gets multipleoffers at the same day.

If you want to be polygamist start playing as Duke Berthold I of Carinthia. He is married to Beatrix de Mousson and Richwara von Babenberg at the start of the game. (Both were historically married to him, although I'm not familiar enough with Carinthian history to know the years when those marriages took place).

This glitch can't happen if you always betroth your heirs. So I guess it will never happens to me :(

Regarding this topic, another thing that comes to mind: seems like the game only ever gives you one lover at a time. Somehow that feels a little off for a lustful ruler.

Personally I'd like multiple lovers to be an option. Furthermore, these relationships shouldnt solely be based off chance. Now that we've added the ability to start a plot against any character, we could easily use that button to allow anyone to make a move on any of his vassals or his liege, perhaps it could even technically be a 'plot'. (Seduction isn't far from that after all!) Also bastards sired with non-nobles should happen occasionally. Perhaps there should be an event (or decision?) where you fall for a pretty farmgirl, creating a random lowborn Débutante who appears in your court with the Beautiful and Pregnant traits ;)

If you want to be polygamist start playing as Duke Berthold I of Carinthia. He is married to Beatrix de Mousson and Richwara von Babenberg at the start of the game. (Both were historically married to him, although I'm not familiar enough with Carinthian history to know the years when those marriages took place).

I just stumbled across this, and can confirm that in 1.06 that's how it works - Beatrix is shown as 'secondary wife'. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature. Duke Berthold, BTW, is shown as Catholic.