• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Palandiell

Captain
41 Badges
Jun 16, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
a looted fief, no money, 2 recruits and some ok armor and horse is all I have left. the kingdom is getting raged from two sides and I dont know how to get a sizeable force toegether again, since I cant get out of my poverts. what to do?

hate cheating. alreaedy reloaded twice and feal like an absolutly idiot. slowly getting better. 10 troops 400 money

boy this game can be a challenge. one question: I was given a useless fief (village right at the border of our enemy) what can I do? can I trade it or do I just have to hold on?

You have to hold I think - you definately cannot 'trade it'. You could always break your vassalage with your king and rebuild yourself.

If all you've got is 10 men and ~400 gold, I would pretty much ignore the war. You're not likely to make much of a difference with such a small force. Go and fight in the arena or a tournament or do some quest for some guild master or (less likely - after you become a lord, other lords have fewer quests their willing to give you) a lord. Oh, and try not to get captured.

Edit: in regards to villages. My understanding is that when you first pledge to a kingdom you are given the poorest village in the realm. You are unlikely to be given more unless your kingdom captures something or a noble who holds a village is indited for treason or defects.

Last edited:
boy this game can be a challenge. one question: I was given a useless fief (village right at the border of our enemy) what can I do? can I trade it or do I just have to hold on?
Hold on to it, it will give you a weekly rent when it's not looted.

Don't spend to improve it unless you're swimming in cash though, you'll never see the return on that money.

Try to only join fights that you are certain to win--follow your realm's marshal and enter battles only when your allies outnumber the enemy. You'll get some experience and you might net some loot as well. Enjoy the gigantic battles--one day you'll be turning the tide in them!

You can also do missions for cities, villages, and lords for extra experience and/or gold.

Reminds me of my first game of WFaS
I was attacked by bandits and was unlucky, they took my horse and my armor.
Some others attacked shortly afterwards, and took my weapons and the rest of my armor and the rest of all my money. That's pretty much a game over.
Unless it is this bad, you can usually claw it back a bit.

After playing MnB for a long time I decided the easiest thing to do is gather all your NPC companions and don't start building an army or trying to grab property until you've leveled yourself and them up quite high. Supporting an army relies on many different skills -- leadership for wages, pathfinding to keep it from moving at a snail's pace, trade to keep down the costs of supplying it, surgery to keep your troops from kicking the bucket en masse -- so it becomes much easier if you prepare yourself first. Recruiting lots of troops right from the start is fun and easy to do but it often leads to disaster.

I do something similar, and focus mostly on building up an elite force of lancer-companions. They are good at running down looters, and if I spam Trainer on all of them I can get Swadian recruits up to Knights in no time. Then I just play with the Nords and Vaegirs for a while.

Arena battles are easy and good way to make money. Although you only gain 200 for actually winning, you can net about 3-4k gold in bets. If you are low level you will probably be best doing quests, and ignoring the retarded quests like cattle herding because they just aren't worth it.