Thread: how to get out of my poverty?

how to get out of my poverty?

a looted fief, no money, 2 recruits and some ok armor and horse is all I have left. the kingdom is getting raged from two sides and I dont know how to get a sizeable force toegether again, since I cant get out of my poverts. what to do?
    "Rommel, where are your tanks?"
    "12 Kilometers from Paris, Sir."
    "Dammit Rommel, the war hasn't even started!"

God of War and Thunder Demi Moderator Baynard's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club

Blog Entries
    Go into configuration > Enable Cheats > have fun.
    A.K.A. Hugues

Find me on:“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
    ― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

hate cheating. alreaedy reloaded twice and feal like an absolutly idiot. slowly getting better. 10 troops 400 money

boy this game can be a challenge. one question: I was given a useless fief (village right at the border of our enemy) what can I do? can I trade it or do I just have to hold on?

EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane

Blog Entries
    You have to hold I think - you definately cannot 'trade it'. You could always break your vassalage with your king and rebuild yourself.
    A.K.A. Hugues

― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

If all you've got is 10 men and ~400 gold, I would pretty much ignore the war. You're not likely to make much of a difference with such a small force. Go and fight in the arena or a tournament or do some quest for some guild master or (less likely - after you become a lord, other lords have fewer quests their willing to give you) a lord. Oh, and try not to get captured.

Edit: in regards to villages. My understanding is that when you first pledge to a kingdom you are given the poorest village in the realm. You are unlikely to be given more unless your kingdom captures something or a noble who holds a village is indited for treason or defects.
    Last edited by Von Hilficker; 01-05-2012 at 22:08. Reason: forgot to address the village issue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Hilficker View Post
    Oh, and try not to get captured.
    Else it really is game over, unless you are extremely patient.
    A.K.A. Hugues

― Thomas A. Edison

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Palandiell View Post
    boy this game can be a challenge. one question: I was given a useless fief (village right at the border of our enemy) what can I do? can I trade it or do I just have to hold on?
    Hold on to it, it will give you a weekly rent when it's not looted.

Don't spend to improve it unless you're swimming in cash though, you'll never see the return on that money.
    We can accept God becoming man to save man. But not man becoming God to save himself.
    -Vernon Linwood Howard

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagicka
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Try to only join fights that you are certain to win--follow your realm's marshal and enter battles only when your allies outnumber the enemy. You'll get some experience and you might net some loot as well. Enjoy the gigantic battles--one day you'll be turning the tide in them!

You can also do missions for cities, villages, and lords for extra experience and/or gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Baynard View Post
    Else it really is game over, unless you are extremely patient.
    got captured about 5 times. 3 times enemies 2 times bandits.... its ok, back and rolling again

Reminds me of my first game of WFaS
    I was attacked by bandits and was unlucky, they took my horse and my armor.
    Some others attacked shortly afterwards, and took my weapons and the rest of my armor and the rest of all my money. That's pretty much a game over.
    Unless it is this bad, you can usually claw it back a bit.

Blog Entries
    Yes I have come back from being captured many times - but it is extremely annoying.
    A.K.A. Hugues

― Thomas A. Edison

Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

After playing MnB for a long time I decided the easiest thing to do is gather all your NPC companions and don't start building an army or trying to grab property until you've leveled yourself and them up quite high. Supporting an army relies on many different skills -- leadership for wages, pathfinding to keep it from moving at a snail's pace, trade to keep down the costs of supplying it, surgery to keep your troops from kicking the bucket en masse -- so it becomes much easier if you prepare yourself first. Recruiting lots of troops right from the start is fun and easy to do but it often leads to disaster.
    I support separation of charity and state.

Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    King Arthur IIMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I do something similar, and focus mostly on building up an elite force of lancer-companions. They are good at running down looters, and if I spam Trainer on all of them I can get Swadian recruits up to Knights in no time. Then I just play with the Nords and Vaegirs for a while.
    Beelzmod - A complete overhaul for CKII

War is people fighting over ideas.
    Peace is ideas fighting over people.

Arena battles are easy and good way to make money. Although you only gain 200 for actually winning, you can net about 3-4k gold in bets. If you are low level you will probably be best doing quests, and ignoring the retarded quests like cattle herding because they just aren't worth it.