• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kagernaut

Comrade Kagerkov
106 Badges
Dec 6, 2005
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
As King how often and why do you grant a kingdom title to someone and give them independence? To me this is one aspect of the game which I enjoy trying since it still has value with another dynasty member at the helm. Very fun stuff, but often it doesn't have as much benefit.

When do you release kingdoms?

I usually try and set myself up with a kingdom+ of my own land/direct vassals before I start giving cadet branches kingdoms and other land in hopes of getting more score/dynasty prestige. I also find it fun to see my family running about the world in various places, especially with the new crusade system, I definitely don't keep them for myself for longer than 20 or so years, though I do parcel it out immediately.

NEVER.

I tried once giving the Templars my kingdom of jerusalem as the distance was causing revolts left and right (yay 1.05 ;x). Apparently I neglected to give him a county so he ended up chilling in jerusalem (still owned by me) and I had 2 other counties while he had 2 dukes showing fealty to him but he had no land so they were different colors and went independent immediately.

You'd think when i clicked "king of jerusalem" and "give all lower titles" it would have, you know, given him all the lower titles. Apparently it bugs the hell out though if you don't personally own something there.

Just further reason to never give anyone anything.

Not quite giving but I matrlineally married my daughter to a norwegian claimant and won him the crown of norway instead of taking it for myself as denmark. So far it has been totally worthless. I have had to stop him from being deposed twice and his son never accepts war requests from me despite me being insanely powerful and the guy who put him on the throne.

Once again pointless. I should have just finished taking norway/sweden over.

Rarely. In my 'King of the North' game I gave independence to the Crusader Kingdoms I created over time, though, with 'Starks' on the thrones (Ruler designer-made dynasty). Ruling the Levant from Scandinavia was just too much of a stretch.

MUCH more often, though, I go on claim wars for Dynasts with the intent of allowing the Kingdom I'm claiming to remain independent. Just spreading the dynasty.

Spreading the dynasty can be fun. Seeing it on the dynasty map in different colors with same name is pretty cool too :p

I played as Galicia one game, and after unifying nearly all of the iberian peninsula I went ahead and released portugal. My brother king then proceeded to have many children, which he apparently married off, and eventually portugal inherited the lands of England, Scotland, and Norway all at once.

I was incredibly jealous.

I don't unless I own an empire and do not want to control that particular piece of land directly, and then I only give it to a dynasty member that has no claims on anything else.

I tend to do it with far away Kingdoms. In most games, that's Jerusalem + whatever else I can pry away from the Shia

It's a nice way to get rid of the insane distance penalty, plus it's fun to see how they fare.
For example, the Cadet Branch ruling Jerusalem failed miserably for a while (probably because I crowded that place with Dynasty Members and every Duke had a Claim on the Kingdom, basically), but a hundred years (and a ton of kinslaying) later, it has conquered the whole Levante and even parts of Egypt and is ruled by a tough-as-nails Queen called "Isabella I the Quarreler" , slapping muslims left right and center :D

Never in history a king has give the independence and the king title to no one for free, why should you? :laugh:On the other hand there where kings that divide their kingdom in pieces or little kingdoms when they die. For example Fernando I of Leon, who divide the kingdom of Leon between his three sons creating the kingdoms of Galicia, Leon and Castille (the situation of the Iberian Peninsula at 1066 in the game itself). It could be funny if you do the same as a challenge but it's anything than usefull.

It totally depends on map position and historic boundaries, to be honest. In my current game as Hungary, I've kept Poland, Serbia and Croatia due to the fact that one could conceivably see a kingdom that contained all four at some point, even if it never happened. More importantly...it gives me access to both the Baltic and the Adriatic. I gave away the titles to Jerusalem, Bulgaria, Bavaria and Italy to siblings and sons due to either geographic weirdness or not needing them.

In my Denmark game, I inherited England and Hungary and was going to inherit France when my mother died. I had just begun my reign and I saw that the vassals in Hungary (very far away from Middlesex and it took a LOT of time to get there as it is landlocked) were getting restless, so I gave it away to my brother (who was a duke there and was the most restless).

That solved a lot of problems, firstly, I could concentrate on troublesome vassals in England (and later, France) while my brother did all the legwork in Hungary and now, 150 years later the rulers of Hungary still respond to my alliance calls, with the only downside being I had to help them twice, once against the Mongols and once against HRE. Had I tried to kept Hungary, I would have had to spend first 10 years of my reign ferrying troops between England, Hungary and Denmark crushing one rebellion after another and this would be repeated everytime I had a new ruler. I thought it would be too much of a bother.

In my Denmark game, I inherited England and Hungary and was going to inherit France when my mother died. I had just begun my reign and I saw that the vassals in Hungary (very far away from Middlesex and it took a LOT of time to get there as it is landlocked) were getting restless, so I gave it away to my brother (who was a duke there and was the most restless).

That solved a lot of problems, firstly, I could concentrate on troublesome vassals in England (and later, France) while my brother did all the legwork in Hungary and now, 150 years later the rulers of Hungary still respond to my alliance calls, with the only downside being I had to help them twice, once against the Mongols and once against HRE. Had I tried to kept Hungary, I would have had to spend first 10 years of my reign ferrying troops between England, Hungary and Denmark crushing one rebellion after another and this would be repeated everytime I had a new ruler. I thought it would be too much of a bother.

This is one reason why I have often considered releasing vassals, to avoid rebellious or difficult situations. Definitely helpful when the area in question is far from your cap.

NEVER.

I tried once giving the Templars my kingdom of jerusalem as the distance was causing revolts left and right (yay 1.05 ;x). Apparently I neglected to give him a county so he ended up chilling in jerusalem (still owned by me) and I had 2 other counties while he had 2 dukes showing fealty to him but he had no land so they were different colors and went independent immediately.

You'd think when i clicked "king of jerusalem" and "give all lower titles" it would have, you know, given him all the lower titles. Apparently it bugs the hell out though if you don't personally own something there.

Just further reason to never give anyone anything.

Not quite giving but I matrlineally married my daughter to a norwegian claimant and won him the crown of norway instead of taking it for myself as denmark. So far it has been totally worthless. I have had to stop him from being deposed twice and his son never accepts war requests from me despite me being insanely powerful and the guy who put him on the throne.

Once again pointless. I should have just finished taking norway/sweden over.
Read the fine print. Holy orders/Bishoprics can not be given/can not make king/emperor tier titles. Probably should be a warning for that though...