+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Coastal forts and AA improvements

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Master View Post
    If you drop PARA onto forts, you might need to rethink their use. They have enough problems just dropping onto an objective and fighting through the airborne assault penalty.
    Actually PAR are very potent troops, with some research involved you can drop a 4xPAR division, add some penalty reduction, good leaders ( 4skill OD guys, not those useless commando guys ). For GER I also create them by upgrading initial INF - means they have 40% EXP instead of 25%, 15% of additional bonus. End result is a powerful combat div, that can para drop.

  2. #22
    General Kovax's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper Fi
    Victoria 2

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Reading, PA
    Posts
    2,495
    From what I understand, the FtM expansion allows both provincial AA and AA brigades to fire at any aircraft which "happen to be" in the province. Since aircraft move several provinces per hour, and "teleport" between them, it's a bit of a "hit or miss" proposition as to whether your AA guns will be in the right place at the right time, unless they're specifically attacking it. If they do happen to end up in the province, though, you get a shot at them. Of course, certain strategic objectives and the locations of airfields will just happen to cause the attacking aircraft to pause over the same provinces over and over, so piling a heap of AA there can be handy, at least until their aircraft engines upgrade and they stop over a differnt province instead.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovax View Post
    From what I understand, the FtM expansion allows both provincial AA and AA brigades to fire at any aircraft which "happen to be" in the province. Since aircraft move several provinces per hour, and "teleport" between them, it's a bit of a "hit or miss" proposition as to whether your AA guns will be in the right place at the right time, unless they're specifically attacking it. If they do happen to end up in the province, though, you get a shot at them. Of course, certain strategic objectives and the locations of airfields will just happen to cause the attacking aircraft to pause over the same provinces over and over, so piling a heap of AA there can be handy, at least until their aircraft engines upgrade and they stop over a differnt province instead.
    Can you link the source of this info?

    My understanding is that provincial AA will only fire at planes actively engaged in a province; it doesn't matter what the planes are actually engaging IN the province... units, supplies, INFRA, resources... but they have to be attacking something ground-side to get shot at.
    Naval Changes: You need em, I got em. --Rather outdated, but I'm leaving it up ;p--
    An improvement to supplies, with (I surmise) a minimal invasion of code and processor power. --sadly locked due to thread necromancy rules, but I'm happy to re-start this discussion if you are--
    And Lastly...
    Nationalist China, with that "Fresh New Wiki" smell!

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Master View Post
    If you drop PARA onto forts, you might need to rethink their use. They have enough problems just dropping onto an objective and fighting through the airborne assault penalty.
    I agree it is a terrible idea. For the maginot line for example you would be fighting at less than 5% effectiveness. They are only great against forts when you want maximum shock and awe.

  5. #25
    Covert Mastermind Demi Moderator Secret Master's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    It's a secret, duh...
    Posts
    15,746
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeRambo View Post
    Actually PAR are very potent troops, with some research involved you can drop a 4xPAR division, add some penalty reduction, good leaders ( 4skill OD guys, not those useless commando guys ). For GER I also create them by upgrading initial INF - means they have 40% EXP instead of 25%, 15% of additional bonus. End result is a powerful combat div, that can para drop.
    They are powerful. But I'm not sending them on missions where they will be fighting at such a disadvantage. If the province has a fort, I'm not really keen on dropping onto it because failure generally means death for those expensive units. There may be a more useful place for them to drop (completing encirclements, ninja capitals, Market Garden style attacks).
    All Hail Him,

    The Secret Master

    Note: If I write a post in this hideous color, I am speaking as a Demi-Moderator. Paying attention is strongly advised.

  6. #26
    AFAIK paras get same forts penalties as everyone else. But they pack more punch than players imagine they do, so several levels of forts is no big deal for them. I certainly don't shy away from using paras on province with forts as long as there is advantage to do so. Even in Maginot line setting they are a fine combatant ( even if fighting @5% efficiency ) - instant capture on victory goes a long way in blitzkrieg + giving opponent -10% penalty for 3rd axis is just minor effect that is nice to have.

  7. #27
    Field Marshal Cybvep's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    8,307
    PARAs are way more powerful when they don't have to fight that much. Just drop them on an empty province where they will not deplete their ORG that fast and support them by using air supply mission if necessary. They can close encirclements, capture VPs or take provinces before amphibious invasions happen without firing many shots at all.

    However, if the enemy has a coastal fort but doesn't have a land fort in a given province, an attack with PARAs will be a nasty surprise for him .

  8. #28
    Field Marshal Alex_brunius's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty 2
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    10,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Master View Post
    If you drop PARA onto forts, you might need to rethink their use. They have enough problems just dropping onto an objective and fighting through the airborne assault penalty.
    The main point of dropping Para on a fort is to open up more combat width to the rest of your attacking force. Dropping a single brigade para will give you 4 extra width to use by land attackers and lessen any stacking penalty you have.

    They can also be used in a supporting manner to absorb hits. Any hit taken by your paras is a hit not taken by the rest of your attacking forces.


    But my personal favorite is dropping them into an undefended fort, just behind the enemy lines
    "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - Patton

  9. #29
    Covert Mastermind Demi Moderator Secret Master's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    It's a secret, duh...
    Posts
    15,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_brunius View Post
    The main point of dropping Para on a fort is to open up more combat width to the rest of your attacking force. Dropping a single brigade para will give you 4 extra width to use by land attackers and lessen any stacking penalty you have.
    This is true.
    All Hail Him,

    The Secret Master

    Note: If I write a post in this hideous color, I am speaking as a Demi-Moderator. Paying attention is strongly advised.

  10. #30
    Colonel KLorberau's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    925
    Gotta love those fire breathing Fallschirmajers..........
    Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
    Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”

    PM Winston Churchill

    Fan of the Week November 14, 2012
    Fan of the Week. April 8, 2013

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts