+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: V2 VictAARian Cross: Best Completed 2011 AAR, Nominations Thread

NOP-field present Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    57 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    ImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings Crusade
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Naval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More Edition

V2 VictAARian Cross: Best Completed 2011 AAR, Nominations Thread

VictAARian Cross Nominations Thread for the Best Completed AAR of 2011.

We're just over one third of 2012 so it's time to get the very first Victoria 2 edition of the VictAARian Cross of the ground! You can now nominate one AAR you think deserves the VictAARian Cross for Best Completed V2 AAR of 2011. The five AARs with the most nominations will go on to the voting round. To nominate an AAR, simply post "I nominate AAR X", preferably bolded and you are of course more then welcome to share with us why you like AAR X over all the others. Nominations close at midnight CEST on the 31st of May. The next day a Voting thread will be opened with a poll containing the five (or more in case of one or more ties) nominated AARs.

The EUIII OscAARs are also accepting nominations here.

Last edited by Qorten; 01-06-2012 at 17:17.

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSword of the StarsVictoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

ummh, this is hard. In different ways Rensslaer and Avindian's taught me the potential of V2, Selzro's prose poem was an act of sustained genius, but I'd like to nominate Thunderhawk3's Ambition. I found it utterly engaging and despite being prose heavy and image light, just so easy to read and follow, plus it had a natural and logical structure.

I'd like to nominate Sing a Septinsular Song; That was a great piece of genius, turning an AAR into poetry. In addition, I have to admire what Selzro managed to do with such a tiny nation as the Ionian Islands, not only surviving but expanding into an empire.

I also have to nominate Selzro's absolutely brilliant Sing a Septinsular Song, which changed the way I think about AARs.
    Follow Halen, a Stateless General in Ambition - Won Character Writer of the Week, 10/10/11, WritAAR of the Week, 10/16/11, First to win both on the same week, Runner Up for the 2011 VictAARian Cross

Become El Presidente, by vote or by coup, in Shadow of the Andes - Nominee for the 2012 VictAARian Cross

Build Belgium from the ground up in Edge of Europe

Sir ThunderHawk3, Knight of the Order of the Large and Intimidating Robert

57 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    ImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings Crusade
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Naval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More Edition

I hope you are all just rereading the AARs listed and the silence here isn't because you are all a bit shy?

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

I was slightly caught off guard by this. I might easily nominate Tunis Delende Est off the bat, but I should read the others first, just to be sure. Hold that nomination, just a day or two...

(I was also surprised to see at least one of my favorite AARs didn't apparently get finished in 2011, and another I had in mind was finished in 2010, so...)

Rensslaer
    Serenity - (V2 v1.3) - An isolationist Japan tries to stay out of everybody's way (Updated July '13)
    Kriegsgefahr (Impending War) - (HOI3/SF/HPP) - Germany attempts to remain at peace! (Updated Apr '13)
    Locarno - Italy vs. Germany (HOI3/SF/HPP) - What if Mussolini stood with France against Hitler?
    The Die is Cast (Roman Civil War) - Caesar will make a name for himself! (Updated June '12)
    Império Novo - An Axis Portugal AAR for HOI 3 (Updated May '13)
    Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian Victoria 1 AAR (Awarded the VictAARian Cross for Jan-Jun 2006)
    Castles In the Sky (Vicky 1) * Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR (EU III) (Updated May '13) * I Am Siam (V2 Minor) (tied for Silver VictAARian Cross for Best AAR completed in 2011) * A Long Time Ago... (HOI 1 Argentina)* Check Rensslaer's Inkwell! (list of online writings)

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I will nominate I Am Siam - A V2 Minor Strategy AAR
    Henri Renard - Minister of Wallonia - Deputy for Liege -KKP- Brewer/Entrepreneur - Sponsor and supporter of Liege United FC
    Formerly Simon Giroux - Minister of Labour - Deputy for Charleroi - Belgian Social Union - Deputy Leader

Formerly Willem Goossens - Deputy for Brugge - conservative - President of Belgian Veterans Society 1818-1871
    Originally Jean Galler - Deputy for Brussels - Constitutional Delegate and Signer of Belgium Constitution
    in Edge of Europe- A Belgian Interactive V2 AAR

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

I got nominated!!! Whoever it was, where it was ... thank you

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSword of the StarsVictoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by enigmamcmxc View Post
    I got nominated!!! Whoever it was, where it was ... thank you
    not quite, you are on the list with an AAR that someone could nominate - as it fits the criteria for this competition

but feel free to nominate one of the others (not your own unfortunately)

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria 2

Well thats a bit of a downer :P
    After reading it, i nominate Ambition - A Stateless General's AAR' by Thunderhawk3.

Commander: Conquest of the Americas

Blog Entries
    I nominate I am Siam.
    "Our officers of cavalry have acquired a trick of galloping at everything. They never consider the situation, never think of manoeuvring before an enemy, and never keep back or provide a reserve."

"I didn’t want to change society. I wanted to give society a chance to determine if it should change itself."

"Jeszcze będzie przepięknie."

57 games registered

That makes so far, with a third of the nomination time behind us, 2 votes each for the following three AARs and none for the other six:

- Ambition
    - Sing a Septinsular Song
    - I Am Siam

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Okay, though I believe most or all of the other completed AARs from 2011 deserve to be nominated, I think it would be an absolute tragedy if Tunis Delenda Est were not among the nominees. Therefore, I so nominate it!

I mean, in the first 20 years playing Tunis (TUNIS!!!), Selzro has survived war with half of Europe and has also managed to kill 2 French ambassadors (his ally, no less!). lol

And from there, it's just a rollicking good time. Anybody who hasn't read this should, as it's certainly a worthy rival to I Am Siam, and I tend to agree with CaptRobau that Tunis Delenda Est is actually a greater accomplishment in the end.

Re-reading it just reinforced to me how entertaining a read it was.

Rensslaer
    Serenity - (V2 v1.3) - An isolationist Japan tries to stay out of everybody's way (Updated July '13)
    Kriegsgefahr (Impending War) - (HOI3/SF/HPP) - Germany attempts to remain at peace! (Updated Apr '13)
    Locarno - Italy vs. Germany (HOI3/SF/HPP) - What if Mussolini stood with France against Hitler?
    The Die is Cast (Roman Civil War) - Caesar will make a name for himself! (Updated June '12)
    Império Novo - An Axis Portugal AAR for HOI 3 (Updated May '13)
    Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian Victoria 1 AAR (Awarded the VictAARian Cross for Jan-Jun 2006)
    Castles In the Sky (Vicky 1) * Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR (EU III) (Updated May '13) * I Am Siam (V2 Minor) (tied for Silver VictAARian Cross for Best AAR completed in 2011) * A Long Time Ago... (HOI 1 Argentina)* Check Rensslaer's Inkwell! (list of online writings)

Commander: Conquest of the Americas

Blog Entries
    You should have posted about this to the main forum. :-) And yes, Tunis was quite a ride, would my 2nd choice, probably.
    "Our officers of cavalry have acquired a trick of galloping at everything. They never consider the situation, never think of manoeuvring before an enemy, and never keep back or provide a reserve."

"I didn’t want to change society. I wanted to give society a chance to determine if it should change itself."

"Jeszcze będzie przepięknie."

I nominate The Great War: 1914 It helped introduce me to the forum, and kick-started an interest to read other AAR's in the future.

P.S. I still hope the converter get's finished and enigmamcmxc is able to convert the AAR into HOI3

Hi Hank,

Thanks for the nomination and comments! Sorry, I did start a V2 follow-up but after some computer problems i lost my save game file. Sadly there will not be a HOI3 spin off of with that Austria-Hungary. With hopefully a lot of free time just on the horizon for me, i think i will give it a go of recreating what happened. It would be nice to see how the 1930/40s play out with a different empire dominating central Europe.

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I'll nominate Siam. A truly impressive achievement with a minor!
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- 1st quarter ACAs for 2014 underway!

Japan or Bust (probably bust) An Uesugi CoP AAR -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- In progress
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2|EvW Missile Silo - check before posting!

57 games registered

That makes at about halfway through the time for nominating:

3 nominations I Am Siam

2 nominations Ambition
    2 nominations Sing a Septinsular Song

1 nomination Tunis Delenda Est
    1 nomination The Great War: 1914

If the nominations were to end right now these five AARs would go to the voting thread.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I'll go with Sing a Septinsular Song, a great blend of tough gameplay (I mean, the Ionian Islands...) and inventiveness, and really, you can't go wrong with an AAR that features a pacifist fascist priest.
    AAR in progress
    Yet this will go onward the same: the Yamato Destiny - Continuation of the last AAR in Victoria 2. Last updated 17th October 2012

Completed AAR
    The Yamato Destiny: A Japan HTTT AAR

Victoria 2

I would like to vote for Tunis Delenda Est
    "Live fast,die young, make a pretty corpse"
    "Seńor Miguel del Alvarado, general in the Army of Patagonia in Shadow of the Andes"
    "William Horshington, A Republican Secretary of State in BBBs The Presidents"
    "Allah, Al-watan,Al-Malik"
    Creator of the (not so much) good and newbie AAR Venganza de los Gauchos

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast