LEGACY OF THE NAVIGATOR
a modest, sometimes silly, after action report
"Henry the Navigator is described as having no luxuries, not avaricious, speaking with soft words and calm gestures, a man of many virtues who never allowed any poor person leave his presence empty-handed." (Good job, wikipedia!)
Welcome to my very first AAR, ever! Thanks for coming to visit! I'm a newbie to this, so please bear with me and I'll try to make this entertaining. The style of this AAR will be mostly gameplay focused with some light roleplay sprinkled around for flavor and spice. Suggestions, comments, and feedback are more than welcome and highly encouraged!
I will be playing as Portugal in Death & Taxes mod. Portugal is well-known to be quite easy considering its remote location from the heartlands of Europe, and its closeness to the New World. Because of this I will be taking on several house rules, with a mix of historical and ahistorical goals. Game settings will default with lucky nations disabled. Difficulty is set to Hard!
1) Portugal will always be a steadfast ally of Spain. She will always answer Spain's call to arms, and never allow any foreign power to hold territory on Iberia. However we wont let Spain bully us and take our rightful territory. If Spain is wiped off the map, then it's game over.
2) Portugal will attempt to maintain an alliance with England, but this is not as important or encompassing as our alliance with Spain.
3) Portugal will only colonize (mostly) historic in the New World, which will keep our interest around Brazil and perhaps a few islands. This is mostly for flavor and to keep us from becoming too wealthy and too powerful.
4) The Crown will never have a reputation worse than slightly tarnished, and will attempt to remain honorable and respected.
5) There will be no reloading to erase unfavorable outcomes. I don't know about you, but I can't wait to have my navies sunk and my armies wiped out!
1) Protect Spain at all costs!
2) Establish a trading empire across the entire world!
3) Become a colonial power!
4) Conquer the Holy Land before 1650!
5) Circumnavigate the globe before anyone else!
6) Don't die, Portugal! Hang in there, buddy!
A Special Note!
I started our game in 1356 and I have already played the first 43 years, up to the beginning date of the Grand Campaign. I did this for an important reason. As Portugal, these years would be the least interesting with a total lack of exploration, colonization, and major wars. I spent this time focused on building my economy, culture, and military with minimal fighting except for one war in particular. All of the most interesting events I'll summarize in a Prologue, the first official chapter of this AAR. Starting early allowed me to set the stage for the weirdness I have in store for our little green nation. Let's all just pretend 1399 is the *real* start date!
TABLE OF CONTENTS