+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fatshark

Fatshark

I really don't want to offend anyone, but I can't find any other way to say this.

I am deeply concerned about the developers working on this game. Their last attempt at a multiplayer only game was a disaster, unfortunately. I normally would chalk it up as a learning experience, but it seemed like they didn't even make an effort to fix their game after the release.

Has there been anything said about this? My primary concerns are the networking and balance, since those were the biggest problems Lead and Gold faced.

God of War and Thunder Demi Moderator Baynard's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club

Blog Entries
    Umm, well I'm sure as this is the flagship game for not only FatShark but Paradox too - it's going to be a massive improvement over L&G. It has a larger budget - much more time put into it and waayyyy more support. Will be interesting too see what Robin says
    A.K.A. Hugues

Find me on:I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    ― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

From what I've read, seen and heard these guys are top-class when it comes to developers. They're not trying to fill their pockets by making this game for 12 year old kids, instead they're actually understanding most concerns and requests from hardcore gamers/ M&B veterans. They read everything on the forums and reply to pretty much anything if they have the clearance/information to do so. I have very high hopes that whatever way they'll steer this game into, they'll do it in excellent manner if they keep this up. Very few developers are actually being as professional yet humane as they are.

Also as said, networking shouldn't be a problem with this being Paradox's flagship title.

Quote Originally Posted by Henk. View Post
    From what I've read, seen and heard these guys are top-class when it comes to developers. They're not trying to fill their pockets by making this game for 12 year old kids, instead they're actually understanding most concerns and requests from hardcore gamers/ M&B veterans. They read everything on the forums and reply to pretty much anything if they have the clearance/information to do so. I have very high hopes that whatever way they'll steer this game into, they'll do it in excellent manner if they keep this up. Very few developers are actually being as professional yet humane as they are.

Also as said, networking shouldn't be a problem with this being Paradox's flagship title.
    One thing you won't see with a lot of developing companies ... input and output, not just output. A lot of companies will tell you what you want, but fatshark will actually converse with you ... which to me is absolutly fantastic, a game thats actually based around what the consumers would like out of the game they will be purchasing.

Achtung PanzerHearts of Iron IIINaval War: Arctic CircleSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesWar of the Vikings

Blog Entries
    Video looks really good...

Achtung PanzerHearts of Iron IIINaval War: Arctic CircleSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesWar of the Vikings

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealto View Post
    I really don't want to offend anyone, but I can't find any other way to say this.

I am deeply concerned about the developers working on this game. Their last attempt at a multiplayer only game was a disaster, unfortunately. I normally would chalk it up as a learning experience, but it seemed like they didn't even make an effort to fix their game after the release.

Has there been anything said about this? My primary concerns are the networking and balance, since those were the biggest problems Lead and Gold faced.
    I disagree. The cowboy one is still a favorite at the 6monthly LAN I attend. Shame its third person But I play for the friends.
    I loved it that it was cheap enough that we could all buy 4 licenses and distribute at LANs

I was under the impression that L&G was seen as an underappreciated/played game?

L&G is one of the best MP-shooters ive played, its just so underrated.

EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane

Blog Entries
    Yes it is good, not the best MP shooter I've played though unlike Digu.
    A.K.A. Hugues

― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

Lead Programmer
    Fatshark

Quote Originally Posted by Zealto View Post

The main problem with networking in Lead and Gold was that we didn't have dedicated servers from launch and by the time we got them working it was kinda too late :/

About support after launch, it was something we wanted to do more, but given there weren't that many players who did keep playing and we were (as a company) in a very bad situation after GRIN's bankruptcy (who's engine we were using and who we had a lot of business with) it simply wasn't viable. I'd also kind of refute the claim that it was a disaster. It did ok and it's been given a lot of acclaim since then, but yeah... it had a lot of potential that unfortunately wasn't realised.

But, like has been said, War of the Roses is an entirely different story. This time there actually _is_ a post launch plan, we are in a much better situation as a company, we have a new and much better engine (that we actually get support for too, which is good ) and two running projects (war of the roses and krater ) so we have a lot more margin to work on games post release.

You'll have to take my word for it I guess, but I hope this at least addresses some of your concerns.
    Last edited by Robin.; 01-05-2012 at 18:52.

Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses

And this is exactly why I have a new favourite developer - you!
    - What can change the nature of a man?

Blog Entries
    They are all my favourite developers!
    A.K.A. Hugues

― Thomas A. Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Robin. View Post
    You'll have to take my word for it I guess, but I hope this at least addresses some of your concerns.
    This does indeed address my concerns as long as I take your word for it. Since I have no intention of passing up the game, I might as well do so.

Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses

Quote Originally Posted by Baynard View Post
    They are all my favourite developers!
    Of course I'm talking about the whole team including the producer etc.!

Yeah, I'll take your word for it.
    I don't have any reason to doubt it so far.
    - What can change the nature of a man?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin. View Post
    The main problem with networking in Lead and Gold was that we didn't have dedicated servers from launch and by the time we got them working it was kinda too late :/

About support after launch, it was something we wanted to do more, but given there weren't that many players who did keep playing and we were (as a company) in a very bad situation after GRIN's bankruptcy (who's engine we were using and who we had a lot of business with) it simply wasn't viable. I'd also kind of refute the claim that it was a disaster. It did ok and it's been given a lot of acclaim since then, but yeah... it had a lot of potential that unfortunately wasn't realised.

But, like has been said, War of the Roses is an entirely different story. This time there actually _is_ a post launch plan, we are in a much better situation as a company, we have a new and much better engine (that we actually get support for too, which is good ) and two running projects (war of the roses and krater ) so we have a lot more margin to work on games post release.

You mentioned how dedicated servers were important for L&G, but just came too late. (Which I have to unfortunately agree with. L&G was good, but the lack of dedicated servers at launch drove people away and they didn't come back)
    WILL THERE BE DEDICATED SERVERS FOR WAR OF THE ROSES AT LAUNCH?! Sorry for the caps, but it's an extremely important thing.

Also, for the OP, this game has very talented developers working on it. Fatshark (obviously) but also members of the Taleworlds team including "Yazzy" that worked on Mount and Blade: Warband. [Atleast that's what I understand]

Lead Programmer
    Fatshark

Quote Originally Posted by SirAgmund View Post
    You mentioned how dedicated servers were important for L&G, but just came too late. (Which I have to unfortunately agree with. L&G was good, but the lack of dedicated servers at launch drove people away and they didn't come back)
    WILL THERE BE DEDICATED SERVERS FOR WAR OF THE ROSES AT LAUNCH?! Sorry for the caps, but it's an extremely important thing.
    Yes.

Blog Entries
    The best answer one could wish for.
    A.K.A. Hugues

― Thomas A. Edison

Dedicated Servers are really excellent and I cant think that some dont use it.

But thx for answear Robin, good to know

Lead and Gold was actually quite fun the time i played it, It just came right along with the mod for HL2 called "Fist full of frags" so myself and many other just kinda did'n want to get 2 psudo/real western games : P

Perhaps I'll reinstall L&G and see if anyone is playing......

+ Reply to Thread