• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wouldn't it be better to make it unusurpable? As making the Papacy unable to assimilate duchies will male it weaker as it won't be able to get de jure vassals.

I'm not in the business of fixing the bugs or deciding how to fix them (in general)

But I'm still going to steal the line, somehow. :)

I ditto the please don't fix it line. Its funny.

If someone doesn't want to usurp the pope, then don't. Consider this an easter egg lol. :)

EDIT: Actually I'm assuming it must be WAD that you can become the Pope? If you weren't intended to be able to become the Pope then where did the Pope-only pop-up messages from the screenshots above regarding indulgences come from? I doubt AI-pope needs to see those pop-ups, so they must have been coded intending for a human to be able to see them.

I ditto the please don't fix it line. Its funny.

If someone doesn't want to usurp the pope, then don't. Consider this an easter egg lol. :)

EDIT: Actually I'm assuming it must be WAD that you can become the Pope? If you weren't intended to be able to become the Pope then where did the Pope-only pop-up messages from the screenshots above regarding indulgences come from? I doubt AI-pope needs to see those pop-ups, so they must have been coded intending for a human to be able to see them.
This is just the way events work.

I'm not in the business of fixing the bugs or deciding how to fix them (in general)

But I'm still going to steal the line, somehow. :)

Ahem, please when it gets fixed set it so the core territory of the papacy doesn't drift....would be lame if some province you conquered from them never drifted even after 200 years...

Pope-Emperor, is that like Vicar_sergeant?

Well, I sure need to usurp the Papacy before this gets nerfed.

Those posts are funny yes, but I really don't think it should be banned to be be Pope and Emperor at the same time. This would simply be like the Caliph in the muslim world, and nothing in history imply that one couldn't do that. The Byzantine Emperor had far more power over his patricarch than the Holy Roman Emperor, and while it would have been a great Coup, it isn't totally impossible for someone to become the head of his religion. After all, the Pope had (based on false claims) an holding during most of its existence, so the reverse figure should be possible. I actually think that most of our known secularism comes from the investiture fight (and of course the reform). Who would have thought of separating the Church and the State if he had both powers?

Those posts are funny yes, but I really don't think it should be banned to be be Pope and Emperor at the same time. This would simply be like the Caliph in the muslim world, and nothing in history imply that one couldn't do that. The Byzantine Emperor had far more power over his patricarch than the Holy Roman Emperor, and while it would have been a great Coup, it isn't totally impossible for someone to become the head of his religion. After all, the Pope had (based on false claims) an holding during most of its existence, so the reverse figure should be possible. I actually think that most of our known secularism comes from the investiture fight (and of course the reform). Who would have thought of separating the Church and the State if he had both powers?

+1
exactly!

And Paradoxes, please, fix the issue that people ask me for indulgence, pay their money for having them but I don't receive the money. (Or is that just my impression?)

Even if they make it unusurpable youll always be able to relive the experience with 'give_title charid k_papal_states' :) This being said, this would be ALOT more fun and moddable without that damnable 'Cant negociate with yourself' thing.

I first ran into that obstacle when I tried to make the Orthodox Patriarch able to sanction Invasions, and now its spoiling my fun of godmode Pope-Emperor ;)

Even if they make it unusurpable youll always be able to relive the experience with 'give_title charid k_papal_states' :) This being said, this would be ALOT more fun and moddable without that damnable 'Cant negociate with yourself' thing.

I first ran into that obstacle when I tried to make the Orthodox Patriarch able to sanction Invasions, and now its spoiling my fun of godmode Pope-Emperor ;)

Yeah, agree!
Please Paradoxes fix this too;)
In a Real Life I can surely negotiate with myself!1

Buying indulgence from myself:

Just another ordinary day of Emperor-Pope, interacting with himself ;)
Deus vult!

I do think however that, if this were to become a real possibility in the game (WAD), there should be some limitation to "interact with ourselves". In the matter of indulgence, I would like that if the moral authority of the church was weakened when such a thing happen. After all, ou are merely giving money to yourself and increasing your own religious prestige. Other christians should see that as a conflicting interest! The same should apply to an excommunication to someone you had no reason other than a political one (like you want to invade his country or weaken him) and, most of all, to the "conquest" casus belli.

You : Ho, Pope, I would like to invade France. I think I am the 87th in the succession line, but my piety is so great!
You : All you want is granted, for you are a loyal servant of the church.
You : You holiness is too good for me.
??? : Profit!?

Last edited:
Well, one thing's for sure - cesaropapism is AWESOME! (or is it papocesarism now? oh, nevermind!). I can think of a way or two to abuse this thing in my Poland game, like, give an entire 3+ counties duchy in my de jure kingdom to popes, wait 100 years, crush them with a married-into-family claim, miserable buggers they are, and seize the Holy See... But I won't, because I'm a responsible role-player. Oh, by the way. yarm88? DO post an AAR of your uber-Croatia, I'm begging you!

Well, one thing's for sure - cesaropapism is AWESOME! (or is it papocesarism now? oh, nevermind!). I can think of a way or two to abuse this thing in my Poland game, like, give an entire 3+ counties duchy in my de jure kingdom to popes, wait 100 years, crush them with a married-into-family claim, miserable buggers they are, and seize the Holy See... But I won't, because I'm a responsible role-player. Oh, by the way. yarm88? DO post an AAR of your uber-Croatia, I'm begging you!

Oh, thanks for appreciating.
I am planning to post it, but I want to finish it entirely first ;)
In a whiletime I am making lots of photos on Steam while playing.

Btw, is there a forum apart where to post AARs?
I am kinda new here, so I don't know exactly how this works..

The bottom of the list of sub-forums, there is one titled 'Crusader Kings II - After Action Reports'

ah ok, thanks!

@ gimel
anyway I don't know if it's gonna be appreciated, as I am one who always tries to maximaze the profit.
I reload a lot, I am always with the genius trait, I even marry only the princesses, wait for a son (he is obviously a genius too), and then I let him educate by a catholic-heretic.
Once he is 16 and heretic, i claim the kingdom/empire for him and then I have the CB every time I want against him, so I take his kingdom to me by pieces.
I do this because I want to be sure that every douchy is under control of only those who I want to control it.
And not like just to call the kingdom and then to have lots of angry 'foreigners' to deal with.

Anyway, I never used/use/will use the cheats.
I can reach all my objectives without cheating.

Here is the screen of my son, cathar+croatian+lots of diplomacy who i made become the Byzantines emperor, just few days ago. I've already taken Cypros from him, for free (coz he's heretic remember;))

And here it is my another son, also cathar+croatian, who I made the king of Rus.

High stats of Diplomacy make their way easier, avoiding them the continous rebellions and allowing fast vassals convertion.
Obviously, while they are still in my court, I let them marry with women with very high Diplomacy too;)

My dynasty on map:

Lot's of gamers here can find this approach 'gamey' so I don't think it's good for an AAR.

Last edited: