• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(457435)

Court Jester
4 Badges
Feb 24, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Pillars of Eternity
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am proud to present you ME, the first Emperor ever who became the Pope.
No, it's not a ruler description for a DLC competiton, this has happened for real!

(the game I'm playing is always this one: Super Croatia )

Image1

Nothing special, just another HRE Emperor...

Image2

...To usurp or not to usurp? That is the question!

Image3

Usurp, usurp, USURP!! Oh, look at me!! Now I have a different name and a papal habit :eek:

Image4

But the Emperor title is still the primary one...

Image5

Also, the Catholic Moral Authority is growing freekin' high!

Image6

Lastly, ALL YOUR BISHOPS MONEY ARE BELONG TO ME NOW!
and I can excomunicate you (yes, YOU) whenever I want to ;)

To be continued...

Edited:
go directly to the post #25, at your own risk ;)

Last edited:
You are not the first to do this. I have already done this quite a few times and I am sure others have too.

Holy shit look at all the titles you can vote in! That's insane!

Can you really excommunicate anybody?

No, you can't excommunicate anybody, only when someone asks you for an excommunication.

Pope, I don't want to divorce my wife---I mean I want to get rid of her, but I would REALLY prefer it if she just died. Like, you know, from my sword in her back.

Can I get a papal dispensation?

What happens if you are not an emperor and usurp the title? Say I was the king of Trinacria or Sicily and after 100 or so years when the papacy became De Jure I usurped it. Would it just become another secondary title?

Edit: Also, Can you call crusades? Or with papal investiture choose the successors?

Last edited:
Can't you just request it yourself as normal, then approve it yourself?

No, apperantly the pope can't interact with himself...

You'll need the caliph tag for that (in religions.txt) if I am not mistaken.

Caliphs are basicly religious & political rulers since muslims had no concept of division of church & state. (I can almost surely get flamed for this hehe)

Actually there is no need to wait for 100 years to become a pope. Everything you need is:
1. start as an independent duke or a count
2. swear your loyalty to the Pope and become his vassal
3. then choose 'Depose liege' casus belli and start a war
4. win the war and you will be proclaimed as his successor

There will be a little problem of 10k papal army, but if you are smart enough you will deal with it.

Edit:
Can you call crusades?
You'll be able to call crusades from approximately 1098 year having Papacy as your primary title. But be careful, if you switch to some other title the crusade will stop immediately.

By the fact, you'll be shocked to know how many characters wish to buy an indulgence for their sins.

Last edited:
Actually there is no need to wait for 100 years to become a pope. Everything you need is:
1. start as an independent duke or a count
2. swear your loyalty to the Pope and become his vassal
3. then choose 'Depose liege' casus belli and start a war
4. win the war and you will be proclaimed as his successor

There will be a little problem of 10k papal army, but if you are smart enough you will deal with it.

In this case won't you lose the titles upon succession, thus dramatically shortening your game?

In this case won't you lose the titles upon succession, thus dramatically shortening your game?

Not if you create another kingdom title and make it your primary. For example, as the duke of Apulia, you could just create Sicily and the Papacy would get the same succession laws as Sicily if you make Sicily your primary title.

Not if you create another kingdom title and make it your primary. For example, as the duke of Apulia, you could just create Sicily and the Papacy would get the same succession laws as Sicily if you make Sicily your primary title.

Pretty sure he was asking about when the papal title is the primary one :p

No. Everything you lose is your dynasty, because your successor will be a man without his past and you will be allowed to play further.

...if you create another kingdom title and make it your primary...
Unfortunately, the Pope can not create king or emperor titles.

No, it says that interaction on self is not possible.

So you can become Pope, but then you lose all ability to .. ehem .. "interact" with yourself? Well that is a difficult trade off. Wait, you can become Pope while married though, so not too much of a loss I guess.

Any other benefits to being "New Pope 2"?

So you can become Pope, but then you lose all ability to .. ehem .. "interact" with yourself? Well that is a difficult trade off. Wait, you can become Pope while married though, so not too much of a loss I guess.

Any other benefits to being "New Pope 2"?

You earn a huge load of gold from church taxes.