+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is a "Great War" ... in terms of the game?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

What is a "Great War" ... in terms of the game?

I am playing as Germany, and am allied with Italy. France just declared war allied with Austria. I have been notified that this will be a "Great War". Before I start, I would like to know what that means. Is it any different from a "Lesser War"?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by dsteve3 View Post
    I am playing as Germany, and am allied with Italy. France just declared war allied with Austria. I have been notified that this will be a "Great War". Before I start, I would like to know what that means. Is it any different from a "Lesser War"?
    It means that all wargoals cost less infamy, warscore, and jingoism. Also, there's an automatic wargoal added for each side: Great War Capitulation, which is essentially a cut down to size but costs 0 warscore.

Victoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by calvinhobbeslik View Post
    It means that all wargoals cost less infamy, warscore, and jingoism. Also, there's an automatic wargoal added for each side: Great War Capitulation, which is essentially a cut down to size but costs 0 warscore.
    How does one activate Great War? I have yet to experience it.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by paulthebug View Post
    How does one activate Great War? I have yet to experience it.
    The system activates after 1870(there should be a popup). A great war is thereafter any war with at least 2 GPs on each side...

Victoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by calvinhobbeslik View Post
    The system activates after 1870(there should be a popup). A great war is thereafter any war with at least 2 GPs on each side...
    2 GPs on each side huh? No wonder, it is always me against the whole world. I guess it is time to start playing less aggressively...
    Last edited by paulthebug; 30-04-2012 at 18:36.

Oh no, you just need to put your diplomatic efforts into one single (weak?) GP to get an alliance and hope for the worst war you could possibly have. That way, it'll be a Great War and you'll do great.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

How much infamy costs, say, acquire state?

Acquire state drops down to 3.3, making it fairly easy to grab. If you're doing really well and don't want more, invite spherelings or some such. A good way to get a country divided up, if they can get any warscore you're see lots of free people's and acquire states. Great wars make demolishing enemies that much more fun, I've found. Makes the war more dangerous too though, I suppose...

so there is no way to update to 2.3 on OSX, right? cause i want some Great Wars in my life

# Great wars
    country_event = {
    id = 19355
    title = "EVTNAME19355"
    desc = "EVTDESC19355"
    major = yes

fire_only_once = yes

trigger = {
    great_wars_enabled = no
    NOT = { has_global_flag = great_wars_enabled }
    revolution_n_counterrevolution = 1
    }

option = {
    name = "EVTOPTA19355"
    great_wars_enabled = yes
    set_global_flag = great_wars_enabled
    }
    }

well in order to get great wars someone has to research revolution and counterrevolution first so it doesn't unlock right at 1870

+ Reply to Thread