+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spell/building "tech tree"?

Spell/building "tech tree"?

Has anyone put together a list of what buildings allow what buildings, and what buildings allow what units?

Also, is there a "tech tree" for spells? Do certain spells need other spells to allow you to research them, or is it just completely random? I noticed I could research the spell "healing" at the same time as the spell "lesser healing", so it can't be all that intuitive. (EG: Researching low-level spells allows you to get higher-level versions of them)

+1

build tree is pretty unclear and missed in manual

Definitely needed. Definitely. Won't break the game without, but would clarify so much if it was there.

Hoi 2 Beta

I guess tool tips are not enough?!?
    For God, King and Country - A MARCH OF THE EAGLES AAR
    "That there is one damn fine coat you're wearin'." x2 - Marv, Sin City.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Coats View Post
    I guess tool tips are not enough?!?
    If you want immediate descriptions, yes. If you want a clear sense of progression from spell to spell along a tech tree, probably not.

Hoi 2 Beta

My comment was re: buildings.

As for spells, its been said.... there is no fixed spell tree. So why would you need to know what spell follows what? You can only research those available in the research panel at the time you make your choice.

My apologies. I find the tooltips excellent for those.

As for spells, its been said.... there is no fixed spell tree. So why would you need to know what spell follows what? You can only research those available in the research panel at the time you make your choice.
    Point taken. Though I have to say: it would add a strategic element to have a spell tree in different elements/classes, leading to decide what to study, next. However, since that isn't going to happen...

Hoi 2 Beta

Well I aint disagreeing with ya ...

Tooltips are unclear and does not help with building tree.

Please check tooltips and tell me what required for dracoliches?

Corporal
    Majesty II CollectionWarlock: Master of the Arcane

Theres a button in the city screen to show all buildings possible i know its not exactly a build tree but it serves as a usable substitute.
    Una Salus Victus

That seems odd in a game that is based on strategical decisions on a constant basis. Should not a "Fire Shower" come before a "Fire Storm"? I don't know the different spells, but to just throw them in there randomly seems odd. It would make sense for them to follow "some" type of progression. I kind of figured it was 5 different schools in the pentagram, and they changed as you learned more.

I would like to see some kind of logical progression. To have a Super Lighting Spell that does 100 pts of damage, then to research a Shock spell that does 5 pts doesn't make a lot of sense (to me, anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Sunjah_Kahn View Post
    That seems odd in a game that is based on strategical decisions on a constant basis. Should not a "Fire Shower" come before a "Fire Storm"? I don't know the different spells, but to just throw them in there randomly seems odd. It would make sense for them to follow "some" type of progression. I kind of figured it was 5 different schools in the pentagram, and they changed as you learned more.

I would like to see some kind of logical progression. To have a Super Lighting Spell that does 100 pts of damage, then to research a Shock spell that does 5 pts doesn't make a lot of sense (to me, anyway).
    Agreed. But I suspect if this were up for change, it would have happened long ago, not a week before release.

MagickaMajesty 2Warlock: Master of the Arcane

Now, I would argue it depends on your gameplay style:
    the research of weaker magic takes much less time and costs less mana to cast, so itīs still a strategic choice which spell I take first: the "super lightning spell" or the "shock" one.....

Hoi 2 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by Raxe View Post
    Theres a button in the city screen to show all buildings possible i know its not exactly a build tree but it serves as a usable substitute.
    Bingo!

Well all I can say is that once youve played through the game a couple of times you will know exactly what you want to build and when! Its part of the attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGonzo View Post
    Now, I would argue it depends on your gameplay style:
    the research of weaker magic takes much less time and costs less mana to cast, so itīs still a strategic choice which spell I take first: the "super lightning spell" or the "shock" one.....
    Bingo 2! I like to get the weaker spells first, unless I get a spell available that suits the particular strategy I need, for the units I have!

Quote Originally Posted by Raxe View Post
    I missed it

Corporal
    Majesty II CollectionWarlock: Master of the Arcane

the show all buildings button is on the left side next to the demolish mode button right below where the slider stops for the building panels.

The magic being random is explained best when you think of the magic in Ardania as being tempestuous a mage could one day discover and master the ability to control fire and the very next day discover the manipulation of water, and on the third day he may discover a spell to help him clean tables and floors thats just how it goes for mages in Ardania.

The random spells make it so even as you expand you also need to consider what spells you have and adapt to survive meaning you shouldnt ever fall into a routine when starting this game cause atleast a third of what determines your movements is random. Dont know about you guys but even with a random tree they do seem to have it set up to show atleast a pretty balanced thing of spells at the start i always have some type of healing spell in one node and a buff spell in another and then random nodes with iether summons or damage based abilities. I think it may be random but with differant pools of abilities or atleast a base pool of abilities to have available for research on your first turn, Have never had it start out giving me high cost spells to research before getting atleast a couple low cost healing and buffs.
    Una Salus Victus

+ Reply to Thread