• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Palandiell

Captain
41 Badges
Jun 16, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
is it a good idea to have a few characters in your party? tried a few but lost em when I got captured by enemies and see raiders.

do you use em to specialize in certain areas where you dont want to invest or what are they good for? and you need to equip em. the food they still eat from YOUR OWN inventory right?

They're pretty useful. For starters, not having to worry about putting points in skills like tracking or engineering lets you focus more on combat. Or vice versa, I guess. The fact they can only get wounded means you don't have to worry about protecting them as much, unless their skills are crucial to you right now. Getting to equip them yourself is more or less a good thing. Once you get a city of your own you're rolling in so much money that you can afford it. Before then you can pick up enough cash here and there for them to be respectable.

Companions are extremely useful. Once you have 8 companions that are leveled up you have yourself a small army.

It's very useful to have 2 or 3 companions that are INT focused and will take care of the party skills. I have one medic (surgery, first aid and wound treatment), one ranger (pathfinding, spotting and tracking) and one tactician (Tactics and Engineer).
Also it's worth giving them all some training since that skill stacks. You'll be able to turn recruits into high tier troops in a few days.

k. are the certain companions you would recommend more than others? and since my income is still quite limited to a town that was looted 3 times, would you recommend only having one or two right now fro ranger and medic reasons?

Companions start off at a low level - so you can customise them all you want as far as I know. I don't think specific companions have specific traits that make too much difference.

Jeremus has some good starting Medic skills, Deshavi has some good ranger skills.
Just know that some characters can't stad eachother, so this will limit who you can keep.

The wiki has the full details on who starts with what skill and who likes who.

Probably more important than what skills everyone starts out with is who likes who. Now you can have a party with whoever you like but you have to watch moral carefully. It is much easier to simply recruit people who like each other or simply don't care about each other.

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Mount%26Blade/Companion_Builds

forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,36781.0.html

Also, you might want to get backups in areas you really care about, or a secondary medic, engineer, trainer etc. If your primary is wounded IIRC they don't provide their skills to help you.