+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Our Monarch Is Dead

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Our Monarch Is Dead

The "Our Monarch is Dead" event (and one year +RR modifier) seems to fire for all government types, even those with no monarchs. It doesn't seem to make much sense that the population would mourn the death of a monarch that they never had. It makes even less sense in republics where the monarch has changed because of a vote. If the population voted for the change I don't see why the revolt risk should be increased, but maybe the revolt risk should increase the longer a president / doge / whatever has been in power in a republic as the population seek 'change'; having a higher administrative skill should make this less serious as well.

Just as an example:
    First year no change
    Second year <4 admin = +1RR
    Third year <4 admin = +2RR, <6 admin = +1RR
    Fourth year <4 admin = +3RR, <6 admin = +2, <8 admin = +1RR
    and so on

Obviously this might be a bit too extreme but I like the idea of the population opposing someone who has ruled for too long, it should also make it a little harder to keep good leaders for decades at a time without having to deal with the consequences

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Teleglitch: Die More Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Choccookies View Post
    The "Our Monarch is Dead" event (and one year +RR modifier) seems to fire for all government types, even those with no monarchs. It doesn't seem to make much sense that the population would mourn the death of a monarch that they never had. It makes even less sense in republics where the monarch has changed because of a vote. If the population voted for the change I don't see why the revolt risk should be increased, but maybe the revolt risk should increase the longer a president / doge / whatever has been in power in a republic as the population seek 'change'; having a higher administrative skill should make this less serious as well.

Just as an example:
    First year no change
    Second year <4 admin = +1RR
    Third year <4 admin = +2RR, <6 admin = +1RR
    Fourth year <4 admin = +3RR, <6 admin = +2, <8 admin = +1RR
    and so on

Obviously this might be a bit too extreme but I like the idea of the population opposing someone who has ruled for too long, it should also make it a little harder to keep good leaders for decades at a time without having to deal with the consequences
    This would require a lot of changes that would slow the game down, including changes to the DG_on_new_monarch stuff. What would you think of a localisation change to say Our Leader Is Dead? Additionally, I don't see a way to easily implement your request for a variable modifier based on years of rule without hard coded support. A variable could be made, but it would require a lot of code and a lot of calculations.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

If it isn't practical then its fine, I haven't ever scripted anything complex in EU myself.

If it is possible however to have different text for different government types then the choice of the size of the celebration (and the associated prestige gain/loss) could be changed to how open the elections are (fair / biased / corrupt)

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    83 games registered

200k clubEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    I've put several versions of the event to differentiate monarchies, republics and theocracies. I haven't changed the option effects yet though.
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by gigau View Post
    I've put several versions of the event to differentiate monarchies, republics and theocracies. I haven't changed the option effects yet though.
    Do you have any ideas what you want to do with them yet? I don't think the yearly increased malus is practical, but some different flavor for the event is well within expectations.

83 games registered

200k clubEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Well, the foremost reason behing the split was to have different texts. For republics it would just be about the elections. this will have to be reviewed in more details later.

For theocracies, i'm not sure yet.
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by gigau View Post
    Well, the foremost reason behing the split was to have different texts. For republics it would just be about the elections. this will have to be reviewed in more details later.

For theocracies, i'm not sure yet.
    For a Theocracy it would also be about an election, but this time by a Synod. Hmmm... wait that is more of a Christian concept isn't it? Did other religions have some kind of a Synod for their theocracies?

That particular sort of thing was never nailed down to be done a specific way historically. Only fairly recently in history has the Papal Election been a regular, repeated process. In the early days, the methods by which a Pope came to office varied from pope to pope. From election by the People of Rome, to being the named successor of the previous Pope, to being selected by Church Leaders.

By the time of the game, the Papal election started to get more regular, with some deep corruption in the very early portion of the game gradually fading out. When it comes to other kinds of Theocracy, there are some options.

Election by group of religious leaders, election by local populace, inheritance by a child, appointment by higher ranking religious official, or appointment by some secular authority.

For example, a theocracy in the Balkans would more than likely have it's head of state appointed by the Ecumenical patriarch, unless the state is autocephalous. Since the Patriarch was an appointed office by the Emperor in Constantinople, and later, the Ottoman Sultan, the appointments made to Orthodox theocracies might be made by either the Patriarch, or the Emperor/Sultan, depending on their leadership strengths.

With Islam, the distinction between Religious and State leadership was blurred or erased through various points in history. Islam began as both a religion and a State, under the leadership of the Prophet, and then by his successors, the Caliphs. There was no distinction between their roles as state and religious leaders. Some were elected, others were blood relatives of the previous ruler and inherited by that right.

83 games registered

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Ampersand, for enlightenning us (or at least me ).

Unfortunately, we will have to keep it simple... many consider the mod as not or barely playable due to slowness. So we shall have only one version of the event of the event for Theocracies.
    •

+ Reply to Thread