• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sgt. Grumbles

Captain
7 Badges
Sep 13, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Been playing heavily since the official 2.31 came out, and while everything is working well, I can't help but notice the Great War system makes for some pretty epic wars with some really odd peace treaties.

In the latest game as Serbia, an Austrian led alliance won a war against Prussia. Austria did not press its own war goal, acquire Silesia, but it did let Belgium annex Lubeck, Modena annex Hesse-Damstadt, and Portugal annex Bremen. Not only does it make for ugly borders, it throws a wrench into any German unification, and really doesn't make any sense for Austria to let it happen without pushing for its own claims. At the very least, I'd forbid the non-German culture allies to annex German lands. Austria taking them is one thing, Portugal owning Bremen is another.

That happens often. In my OE, Russia and Brunswick game Belgium, France or Portugal always attack bankrupt German minors and add Annexation as war goal. If Prussia doesn't intervene Germany cannot form.

Portugal owning Bremen is another.
People keep on taking Bremen and Hamburg! It makes me :mad: to see Germany unable to form without me helping Prussia acquire single provinces

I generally dont see wierd peace treaties(Unless they are done by me :D) However, What happens after the war is more interesting. After punching Russias+Frances face in(As Germany, I had destroyed the Austrians and had hordes of spherelings to help, as well as the UK) I seized vast swaths of territory and freed the people of the Baltic and Belarus. Soon afterwards, Russia imploded in 3 successive rebellions, first becoming a Pres. Dictatorship, then a Democracy, and finally a proleteriatian dictatorship. Meanwhile, France didnt lose much land, but still imploded and ended up being a communist nation as well. After beating up Russia again(this time to free Finland and the Ukraine) The Government collasped again, only for a fascist Govt. to take its place.

Actually, there were a bunch of cases where Repay Debts was just a CB and led to annexation...of course, this was mainly against uncivs...
Wich no body cared about. I think the international community would react more strongly than in the game if countries just outright annexed indebt European countries in the timeperiod. At least Prussia should get a free people CB if a German state is annexed.

Wich no body cared about. I think the international community would react more strongly than in the game if countries just outright annexed indebt European countries in the timeperiod. At least Prussia should get a free people CB if a German state is annexed.

They can use their "War of Unification" CB, only problem is that Portugal and Belgium are allied with the UK

That and I'm not sure how well the AI handles transporting units to foreign lands. I've seen it early in a war, but never later and I don't know that I've ever seen the AI return their troops. So Prussia could hold the German minor only to WP later.

Been playing heavily since the official 2.31 came out, and while everything is working well, I can't help but notice the Great War system makes for some pretty epic wars with some really odd peace treaties.

In the latest game as Serbia, an Austrian led alliance won a war against Prussia. Austria did not press its own war goal, acquire Silesia, but it did let Belgium annex Lubeck, Modena annex Hesse-Damstadt, and Portugal annex Bremen. Not only does it make for ugly borders, it throws a wrench into any German unification, and really doesn't make any sense for Austria to let it happen without pushing for its own claims. At the very least, I'd forbid the non-German culture allies to annex German lands. Austria taking them is one thing, Portugal owning Bremen is another.

Completely agree.
This needs to be addressed, it's been some years now since release and the AI still doesn't know how to set up a reasonable peace treaty.

It's a game breaker for me.

Well it seems it's exactly the opposite in games I've played.

For instance, AI France decided to attack Egypt to free people of Ethiopia. They hurt them pretty badly, so they added a wargoal to take Crete. In the end, they decided to just take Crete and leave the "free people" wargoal. (They didn't have rebellions or something that could prevent them to take both war goals)

i remember far out in the game (around 1900 something) Ethiopia was civilized and in sphere of France. France attacked Switzerland because of cut down to size. Ethiopia then added wargoal and took eastern Switzerland which left a quite strange map of Europe! :S

I was playing as Brunei; bored while waiting for research points and noticed that a 'Second Great War' was going on due to Britain wanting Alaska, France backed up Russia and Britain had some other backup (forgot who)...was weird because it ended with Britain getting Alaska and Russia being taken down by Communist/Reactionist Rebels...

In one game ages ago (now lost), Portugal and Brazil divided mainland Denmark between them (I think this was a weird result of the normal 'Prussia wants in on Schleswig-Holstein', but somehow these two got involved and won... crazy).
In another massive war with a civilized China, the UK, Russia, France, Spain and the USA, Spain lost Leon-Castilla to China, which was very weird, and seeing as the two countries have similar colours the only way to tell was that 'Spain' was contorted horribly on the map.
As a result of my meddling once (playing as AH with serbia as an ally warring against Russia), Serbia ended up with some random part of the Ukraine.