• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Interlude

High above the altar in Turin Cathedral

"Oh it's you"
"Come brother, and take a seat... just for five minutes at least.
"No I'll find somewhere down the other end"
"Just rest a few minutes. It's been a long time"
"What did you expect?"
"Come brother, we're both dead now. Surely you can't hold a grudge for all eternity?"
"Maybe I wronged you brother I admit it. I was young and foolish and in love. You were hardly a paragon of virtue yourself though. Throwing Jeanne off the tower was uncalled for"
"What did you expect? She humiliated me. She humiliated you as well at your funeral"
"Oh I didn't mind that. At least they loved me"
"Oh they all loved you Pierre. I know that. It doesn't matter though because history will show that you achieved very little in your 20 years as Duke, while I re-united Savoy and my son is King of Burgundy. The future royal line will come from me, Pierre, not you".
"As it happens my blood already flows though the vein of kings".
"What?"
"It's thanks to you actually. Do you remember you were awfully keen to get rid of my children by marrying them off. Well you married my bastard son Helie to a princess of Bohemia and last year my grandson became Konrad II of Bohemia. It was a magnificent coronation to watch."
"Still he was not a Savoie though"
"No indeed but still a King and with good prospects. Your son's crown is not secure yet"
"How so?"
"He is 63 and his only son is a babe in arms. His brother is in his 50s and has no male heir. As Provence has shown weakness will invite attack from opportunists. Richard will have to tread carefully and hope to live a long time"
"So tell me, your wife is not with you"
"No she remains in Provence by the sea. And yours?"
"Ximena prefers to remain in Spain near her father's former kingdom. Did you know she lived to 85? Jeanne preferred not to come today as she is still a little afraid of you I think"
"Good"
"Do you remember the time by the stream when we were boys when we both fell in and Sir Jacques had to fish us out using the tip of his lance"
"Yes I remember. It was a long time ago"
"I think that is one of the happiest days I can remember. I wish we could go back to being those two little boys before we grew up"
"I sometimes do too but we can't go back. Your five minutes is up, Pierre"
"I'll see you around brother"

The story so far.

The marriage of Duke Amédée II of Savoy and Duchess Filomena of Provence was supposed to provide an easy path to greatness. Nevertheless, there is many a slip betwixt cup and lip and it took Richard de Savoie many years to finally secure his inheritance and then crown himself King of Burgundy. The realm is not yet secure, however, as Richard is 63 and his heir Gilbert only a babe in arms

Part VI – A little rash

It was only a little rash or so it seemed. But a little rash can bring down many a man. It brings down the sailors visiting foreign ports and ladies of ill repute. And it brings down Kings sitting on their lofty thrones in their cold castles. It wasn't supposed to end like this.

I was born the son of a Duke, although most people forget that as within 4 months of my birth my father was raised up as the first King of Burgundy for many years, as Good King Richard.

What I remember the most about my father was how old he was. The other boys all had young and handsome fathers, while mine at 63 was more like a grandfather and newly thrust into the kingship. He had little time for me.
His first act in 1153 was to try to increase the authority of the crown and to show that a mere Duke was fit to wear a higher crown. There was resistance to this and so he went to war against the independent vassals of Lyon and Bourgogne. He also went and rode in the tourney to prove himself. That was a mistake at his advanced age as it ended shamefully at the hands of a younger man.

In 1155, Bourgogne and Lyon were both won and became my father's vassals. However, my father's plans for the succession were thrown into disarray. He had planned that his younger brother Jaufré would succeed him and then name me as heir in turn so avoiding a lengthy regency. However, both Jaufré and his wife died within the month. My half-sister Julienne also died around this time so my other half-sister Pernette was nominated as heir.

S1.jpg

S2.jpg

My father tried to distract himself from his grief by meddling in the affairs of France. The Duke of Orleans started a succession war for France and my father backed him. However, the war ended badly and the Duke lost.

My father would have his revenge the next year by plotting against King Othon. The plot was revealed but the King died leaving a child was on the throne. It may or may not be a coincidence but around this time my father's first wife, the Parisienne countess also died.

S3.jpg

In 1157, the Muslims attacked the Genoese in Provence with a holy war but were pushed back. This was a pity as it might have made it easier to take back my grandmother's castle. Later that year, the Kaiser died aged only 27. The new Kaiser was only 9 years old. My father backed Martin, Duke of Verona's plot to lower crown authority but this didn't go very far.

In 1159 the Kaiser named my father master of the hunt and my father finally named me his heir.

In 1160 the truce with Upper Burgundy expired so my father attacked them for Chalons

In Jan 1162, he took Chalons and then immediately broke his truce to attack them again for Aargau. At 72 years of age my father no longer cared about his good reputation. After that the vassals finally recognised a limited crown authority over Burgundy. My father used his authority to attack an old enemy - Forcalquier. Unfortunately the count escaped arrest and rebelled. Two other things happened that year to affect the succession. My brother Louis was born but my father was concerned we were both underage. He decided on a backup plan by inviting his half-brother Amedee's grandson Amedee of Tecklenburg and giving him the newly conquered fief of Aargau

In June 1164 my father finally laid down his weary sword aged 74 of natural causes, having created and then secured a realm. I became King Gilbert I at only 11 years of age.

S4.jpg

My regent was the court chaplain Angelo d'Este, a cunning and ambitious man. I nominated my brother Prince Louis as heir, leaving 2 children as all that stood between the great throne of Burgundy and disaster.

My regent understood well that the vassals might start to scheme and so decided to keep them busy at war. Once Forcalquier had been revoked, we attacked the Duke of Upper Burgundy for his last county Schwyz.

In December 1164 my mother died. She had always been a sickly lady and had never recovered from Louis' birth. Widowhood had not suited her well and she had continued to ail before passing on. At 12 years old I was now an orphan, although at least I had known my parents a little unlike poor Louis.

S5.jpg

In January, we won the war and I recreated the Duchy of Upper Burgundy. I gave Schwyz to Angelo d'Este as a reward for his loyal service.

S6.jpg

In 1168, my regent asked for the Duchy of Upper Burgundy. I was now nearing my majority and felt confident enough to refuse him. However, he had a claim on the Duchy of Lombardy and I promised to press that in due course. In April that year the Kaiser declared war on Genoa for my claim on Provence. I was already at war in that Duchy for Vivarais, which I took in the August. In October another Crusade was called against Jerusalem but I was still a minor and had no port.

S7.jpg

In December my regency ended and I was married to Kunegunda, Princess of Poland.

S8.jpg

My first goal as a King in my own right was try and absorb the last remaining part of the ancient Kingdom of Burgundy. Unfortunately the current Dukes had long sworn fealty to France.

I tried to influence matters by killing the heir to the current Duke but without success so in early 1169 I made a bold move and attacked France directly for the county of Macon. This was not as foolish as it sounded as France was already fighting an independence war with Aquitaine and the Muslims in Spain. Nevertheless I hired lots of mercenaries to be sure and to assault the walls of Macon if required.

My war started well as the French were tied up in Spain. The Kaiser helped by winning his war with the Genoese for Provence. By the following year the King of France's vassals were becoming increasingly bold and Gascony, Limousin, Auvergne and Poitou also declared independence.

Later in 1170, I had some internal problems as my vassals were concerned by my young heir and they were threatening to elect someone else as King. I decided to counter this by raising my distant kinsman Amedee of Aaargau to the Duchy of Upper Burgundy and making him my heir. Around this time the Crusade for Jerusalem was successfully completed and the lands given to the King of England

By August 1171, Bourbon and Badajoz had also declared independence. I now had a larger army than the rump of France. I just had to be careful not to run out of funds to pay my mercenaries, which I managed by organised a massive assault on the walls of my current siege target.

S9.jpg

In February 1173, the French King finally sued for peace and I received Macon. It was not all of the Duchy of Burgundy but I had laid down an important marker. Later that year my first son was born. I named him Richard after my father.

S10.jpg

After this there were several years of peace as I rebuilt my forces from the French war. In November 1176 my chancellor fabricated a claim on Brescia and the next July I went to war for it. Since Brescia had been reabsorbed into the Empire following its short lived independence it had been handed to the Duke of Ferrara, a cousin of the Kaiser. Cremona joined me in the war. Ferrara was allied with Lower Lorraine and the King of Naples but they were unwilling to come to war against me.

By June 1178, the war was won. I had also recently inherited Gevaudan after my maternal grandfather was slain in a duel and so I usurped the Duchy of Auvergne. Also around this time, my brother Louis came of age which meant I no longer needed my kinsman Upper Burgundy. Rather than having to also disinherit Louis in turn when Richard came of age I decided a better solution was to change the succession law to Gavelkind succession. As consolation for Louis I Married him to the heiress to the Duchy of Calabria.

S11.jpg

S12.jpg

In December 1178, I decided to stamp my authority on the realm further by raising Crown Authority. It was much more straightforward than my father's attempt to do so had been.

The next year I betrothed Richard to the Countess of Furstenberg.

In 1180, I decided it was time to get involved in the affairs of Poland. My wife's sister had inherited as Queen. I had her only son Prince Wanko of Poland killed so that my wife would be the heir. I also became involved in Lombardy, where a civil war had just ended. I decided to press the Count of Schwyz' claims to the Duchy (the son of my former regent).

S13.jpg

In May 1181, I had some bad personal news. My marriage has always been a diplomatic arrangement rather than a love affair. We are polite and courteous but there is no affection. She has her ladies who speak and plot in Polish and I have my wars. Consequently I have always had to look elsewhere for affection. I now had a most unpleasant lesion in my most privy parts. The court physician says I have the Spanish disease.

S14.jpg

The next few years were most unpleasant. I won the Lombardy war in 1182 but the new Duke was still independent. There was a revolt in Forez. I gained Santois through a fabricated claim in 1184. The Polish situation was still problematic as my wife was plotting to kill her sister the Queen, while the youngest sister wished to kill my wife. And yet. None of this mattered to me.

S15.jpg

S16.jpg

I now seem to have become increasingly unwell as time goes by. First there was the unpleasant rash. My physician gave me mercury but this has not helped. Lately I have been unsteady on my feet and sometimes I feel as if I am going mad.

I have heard the rumours at court. They say it is my punishment for having the Polish boy killed. God has struck me down for my wickedness. Even the bishop has said I must restore myself to God's grace to have any chance of salvation.

And so I have but one chance to rid myself of this little rash that has started to consume me. I will go to war for the church. The Muslims are strong in Spain but I will claim Barcelona in a Holy war. May it cure me one way or the other.

S17.jpg

The story so far.

Richard de Savoie created and strengthened the Kingdom of Burgundy before leaving it to his son Gilbert. Gilbert lost both his parents as a young age and had a cool relationship with his wife. He resorted to using camp followers but caught syphilis. In the hope of finding a cure he set out on a Holy War for Barcelona leaving behind his teenage son also Richard in Burgundy.

Part VII – The Crusade and the Kaiser

Empúries. It sounds a fairly innocuous name really. Not a place for a man to meet his doom. Not a Cannae or a Poitiers or a Hastings but still a place of doom. It wasn't even as if the battle was lost. It was 7th January 1189 and my father was leading a Holy War for Barcelona. 8,000 Christians and 5,000 Muslims pitched against each other on a field in Spain. I wasn't there but I can see it in my mind's eye - the blue and yellow banner of Burgundy fluttering above the field and my father charging in on his horse, sword swinging and cutting down the enemy. That brave and noble father of mine, dying heroically.

I doubt it was like that in reality. My father had been suffering for years with the Spanish disease and slowly fading away. He struggled to stay on his horse let alone swing a sword. He would have been an easy target. He went to Spain for a cure, for redemption, to die but he didn't get his wish. The battle didn't kill him: he was wounded but the wounds weren't fatal. And so he lingered on for a month and it was that wretched disease that finally killed him.

S1-1.jpg

S2-1.jpg

And so at the age of 15 I became King Richard II of Burgundy. My regent was the Bishop of Santois but he didn't do much. I was already starting to take the reins of power and in October I came of age.

S3-1.jpg

My first task was to resolve my father's war. The interregnum had not helped our cause and had given Mauretania the chance to regroup and marshal superior forces. I reluctantly agreed a white peace.

It was well that I did. As early in 1190, the Duchess of Bavaria sensing weakness attacked me for Brescia. She was aided by my treacherous vassals, the Prince-Bishop of Vienne and the Count of Forcalquier.

The war started reasonably well as I captured the Prince-Bishop in battle. He requested better treatment but I was unforgiving of his treachery and put him in the Oubliette.

The next year I also captured the Count but regrettably I had to ransom him as I needed the money to pay mercenaries. After that the war settled down into stalemate. Bavaria had a large force besieging Brescia but I had 2 smaller forces who were able to draw her away by threatening to besiege her own castles. in July 1194, the Duchess died and the war finished inconclusively.

In April 1195 the Kaiser died. The new Kaiser was yet another Heinrich, the seventh of his name. The new Kaiser was immediately excommunicated at the request of Poland.

Around this time I finally married my long-term bethrothed the Countess of Furstenburg.

Soon Siracusa, Pisa and Lucca had declared independence

The Kaiser was slow to react as he was already at war with the Pope for Orbitello and Lombardy, Westfriesland and Karnten also claimed independence.

In late 1196 my chancellor fabricated a claim on Verdun and I went to war.

The next year Modena, Prussia, Ferrara and Calabria also declared independence

In July 1198 I won the war for Verdun.

S4-1.jpg

1199 seemed to be a year of deaths. First my mother died without ever becoming Queen of Poland. I should have been the next heir but the Poles had laws in place to prevent the realm from going to a foreigner. My mother's younger sister became heir. Later that year Kaiser Heinrich VII died at the age of only 30. The election saw a new dynasty take over the Imperial throne. Kaiser Wilhelm von Weimar was formerly the of Duke of Meissen. A further death was that of my young wife who died naturally. I quickly remarried to Walpurga, Duchess of Alsace. Right at the very end of the year my Uncle Louis died.

S5.jpg

In April 1201, the Pope announced a Crusade for Mauritania. For the first time a De Savoie went on crusade. I quickly marched my troops to Barcelona.

In early 1202, while I was away my son Jaufré was born.

By January 1203 we had sieged Rosello and were besieging Empúries. The Muslims assembled their forces together and for the second time Burgundy and Mauretania fought a battle at Empúries. This time it was 12,000 Christians vs. 7,000 Muslims. A great victory ensued.

S6.jpg

In March 1203, however, there was bad news. The King of France took advantage of the Crusade to declare war on the Kaiser for Gevaudan and Viverais. Unfortunately the Kaiser was still busy crushingthe various independence wars and I was unlikely to get much help. I couldn't deal with it myself as I had to concentrate on the Crusade.

I decided to deal with France a different way by starting a plot to kill the King of France but unfortunately my plot was discovered.

S7-1.jpg

In early 1204 the crusade was won, thanks to the strength of the Burgundian armies. I gained Mauretania itself in Africa and the Seville area of Spain but not the Barcelona area I had been fighting in, which was considered to be part of the Kingdom of Aragon. All in all I gained 25 new counties dwarfing my original holdings.

S8-1.jpg

My next task was to distribute the proceeds of victory. I invited 2 de Savoie distant relatives to court and made them Dukes along with a cousin. I kept the county of Tlemcen for myself and gave away Gevaudan. I also moved the court to Tlemcen so as to be able to keep a closer eye on my new lands.

In June, France won the war for Gevaudan and Viverais. It was very disappointing but worth it considering the gains in the Crusade.

In December 1206 the Kaiser started a holy war for Barcelona, which they won in 1208.

The previous year, my aunt Eufemia, Queen of Poland died

In Oct 1209, the Prince-Bishop of Orbatello, a Salian, started a war for the empire with the backing of 5 Dukes. I decided to back him too. The Kaiser was 82 and was likely to die soon. His heir looked strong so it seemed better to weaken the empire before he succeeded. I was finally able to usurp the title of Duke of Dauphine, which I gave to the Count of Lyon. I was about half as strong as the Kaiser so I needed to commit my forces carefully.

S9-1.jpg

S10-1.jpg

The next year I found out my cousin was plotting for the kingdom. Ingrate! My second son Renaud was born shortly afterwards, which at least weakens his claim.

In late 1211, the Kaiser died and was succeeded by his grandson, Wilhelm II

S11-1.jpg

By 1217, I had more troops than the Kaiser and won a major battle with 13,000 men against 8,000 of the Kaiser's. It looked like we were winning but then the Prince-Bishop died in battle and the war came to an end. The new Kaiser now felt confident enough to raise crown authority to absolute.

In 1218, Jaufré came of age ensuring there wouldn't be another regency. I was excommunicated at the request of the Duke of Upper Lorraine but repented and was soon re-admitted to the church.

S12-1.jpg

I felt confident enough to plot to lower crown authority in the Empire but my plot was discovered and I had to give it up.

S13-1.jpg

In May 1219, the Kaiser held a grand tournament and I felt I had no option but to attend after being caught plotting. It was held at the new imperial capital in Barcelona, less than a 100 miles from the famous battlefields of Empuries. I was now 45 and it was the first time I had fought in the melee for some years. I went into battle with the blue and yellow shield of Burgundy and with my mace swinging. Soon I was facing the Kaiser's champion a brute of a man. I held him off with my shield but his next blow broke my shield in two. I now couldn't defend myself at all and then darkness.

S14-1.jpg

Like my father I won't die in combat but like him I do not think I will die peacefully an old man in bed. The right side of my face was smashed in by the mace and my eyesight is failing. I have spent time with Jaufré and hopefully he will learn my lesson. Do not play games with the Kaiser. Be loyal or make sure you can destroy him.

Very interesting. The only game I've played worth any amount of time is as Ireland. Ireland's politics are much, much quieter. This offers a nice perspective. I think next time I will try a game in the HRE.

Something about the last ruler update seemed lacking when compared to the previous reigns. He seemed to lack any real spark or character. Not sure why.

Fenix - the HRE can be an interesting place to play . It gives you more safety as outsiders have to got through the Kaiser to attack you but you are always having your troops called up and you have to pick the moment for independence very carefully.
Machiavellian - Yes I agree. Sometimes the game doesn't throw up very interesting material to work with. I will post the next update tomorrow and there are some much more interesting characters coming down the line.