+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quick question re: 2GB, 4GB or more memory

Crusader for True Inflation Emre Yigit's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Europa Universalis IV

Quick question re: 2GB, 4GB or more memory

I'm currently playing CK2 on my desktop, which has 16GB of RAM. Very smooth play.

I'm thinking about playing CK2 on my laptop, which has only 4GB of RAM. Now, I know that the game specifications are for 2GB, but I also know that Paradox games are memory hogs. I just wondered what your experience was with 2GB or 4GB of RAM?

I'm using Vista, if that makes a difference.
    To every man upon this earth / Death cometh soon or late. / And how can man die better / Than facing fearful odds, / For the ashes of his fathers / And the temples of his gods...?

HoI AnthologyDeus VultDivine WindHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    I have it loaded on a 4GB ram Notebook. Using windows 7. Like any Paradox game longtime loading up. Once loaded it runs smoothly. I usually play on Speed 4 with many pauses. I can usually get through about 10-12 years per hour of game play. Just a guess. If you want to play faster get more memory. Hope that helps.

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Europa Universalis IV

Thanks, Hootieleece, for the input.
    To every man upon this earth / Death cometh soon or late. / And how can man die better / Than facing fearful odds, / For the ashes of his fathers / And the temples of his gods...?

Sergeant
    Crusader Kings II

Memory is cheap. Get as much as you can.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Majesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Rise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Get as much as you can. But paradox games are not really for Notebooks they are CPU hogs, HOI3 will sometimes slow down my i7 when I get late into the game.

I regularly play on a machine with only 3GB Ram and it plays fine.

I play on my 1GB and 500MB cards. Sure, the game can be a little slow (it's like playing at speed = 3-4 with the right specs), but it only ever gets clunky when everyone starts raising their levies, and even then it's fine due to the pauseable real-time nature of the game.

From my experience playing with the gf's laptop (which I think is 4GB, if not 2), it's fine as long as you don't get too beefy with the resolution.

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    StarvoidThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More Edition

If you have a 32-bit OS, getting more than 4 GB is useless, because Windows can not use the extra memory. If it's 64-bit then it's fine.

Anyway, CK2 can not use more than 2 GB of memory because it's a 32-bit program.

Europa Universalis IV

(While the advice to bump up memory is appreciated, my notebook doesn't go beyond the 4GB installed.)

Valinn, Bluebags, thank you for your input.

+ Reply to Thread