• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

WiliamofOrange

Sergeant
46 Badges
Aug 8, 2011
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II
So, I've noticed that the melee is a bit off. I used to be really good at melee, but know I'm terrible! Any tips on how to get better at it, cause to me it just looks like a game of luck.

The melee system is supposedly very lethal in the NW DLC. One hit is pretty much one kill with bayonet.

So, practice your blocking? And duel servers sound like the best option, since at least the fight is over soon and you can join another one?

The melee system is supposedly very lethal in the NW DLC. One hit is pretty much one kill with bayonet.

So, practice your blocking? And duel servers sound like the best option, since at least the fight is over soon and you can join another one?
While it is certainly more deadly than in vanilla, it's not one-hit kill most of the time, unless it is cavalry charge. You should survive one bayonett attack.

A couple of things you should know:
Bayonets are superior to swords in most cases, the reason being that they have superior range and are more powerful (one hit kills usually). If they have a downside its that they only have 2 attacks, up and down. This makes them easy enough to block (most people seem to attack underhand). The overhand attack is vastly superior to the underhand. The reason being that it has much longer range and their is no 'pull back' part of the animation, meaning it is harder to anticipate. The high blocking animation is apparently slower than the overhead thrust as well.

If the guy charging at you keeps his rifle above his head - block up. If he keeps it at the waist level - block down.
Calculate momentum, both your own and his - if you hit him on turn/run, he's most likely to die (oh how often I died from impaling myself onto my opponent's bayonet!).
Don't be afraid to switch for sword, if you feel uncomfortable with the bayonet. Swords don't kill right away (c'mon, rly?), but you can stay at very close contact with your opponent, not letting him to gain any momentum with that bayonet of his, and all the while slashing at him from all sides possible.
Try conquest maps - some of them are so tiny, that you appear like just behind the corner from the enemy, and don't waste time on waiting/running, just pure and constant practise. Deathmatches. Duels.